Menu

Where can I buy pretty, warm, soft old-lady clothes?

My grandma has Alzheimers and is living in a nursing home. It seems every time I see her she's more shut down than the time before. She still likes the things she has always liked, though. She still values having her nails done, and she wears a polyester blouse and string of pearls each day.

Aside from the polyester blouse and pearls, though, the other consideration with dressing Grandma is that her clothes need to be both soft and warm. Many days she puts on floral flannel pajamas over her polyester blouse. With the pearls around her neck and maybe even a little lipstick, she's ready for anything. :lol:

I'd like to get her a warm, soft outfit for Christmas--something like a sweatsuit but prettier. Something that is not flannel pajamas but yet feels just as comfy as the flannel pajamas do. I've looked online at a few sites, but all I'm coming up with is super-cool, super-trendy workout wear.

Any suggestions?

Is she still ambulatory, and dressing herself?

Reason I ask is that it makes a difference in what to look for.

There are some really lovely track suits, with screening on them that takes them over a 'track suit' level into pretty and feminine...but the cloth is still very, very soft and cuddly.

I don't know if you have them where you are, but one store that comes to mind that has what I'm thinking of is

http://www.northernreflections.com/default.asp

my mom was so beautiful all the way to the end. She died of dementia at age 68 :crying: but she looked beautiful even when she was removed from the house. I know she would have rather died than to know that she wouldn't have looked nice. She always put so much care into her hair, make-up and clothing. She wore Chicos all the way to the end. :001_smile:

Sitting around all day made her VERY cold. We bought warm cashmere sweaters to wear on top of her Chicos tops. We also bought velour sweat bottoms in just about every color. You can really buy pretty velour pants. I'd suggest getting elastic wasted, which is why my mom had so many velour suits. She looked so pretty with all her jewelry and her make-up was done daily.

We had several sweaters, velour shirts, and sometimes you can find really pretty fleece shirts. I find fleece even warmer than wool and it's lighter and much more comfortable.

Also, really warm socks and slippers. Their feet really get cold!

We had to get the sizes larger because my mom lost a ton of range of motion. Something to consider.

One reason I suggested the track suits is that if Grandma does end up needing dressing assistance, or loses some range of motion, blouses, etc are very, very difficult to put on and off. Buttons can be incredibly frustrating.

Track suits and similar can be easily altered (ie opening up the back, putting in velcro) so that it's eaier for the resident and the staff.

My grandma loved wearing velour sweatsuits and a lace-edged camisole. Since the camisole had no sleeves, it was easy to put on. The zipper made it very easy to put on the jacket, and the elastic-waist velour pants were comfortable. I'm not sure where they were bought, but I would like at a place like Penney's, Sears, and Kohl's.

how about a warm shawl that she could put around her shoulders

Honestly, I'd caution against a shawl. Its too easily put down and misplaced, which can cause all sorts of upset and turmoil.

Folks w/Alzheimer's will often accuse ppl of stealing their misplaced items, or get so worked up when something cannot be found that it takes a great deal to get them settled again.

Also, find out after a few weeks if there is an item or two that she specifically likes, and then buy exact duplicates of that item immediately. It may not be available in a year when the first wears out or gets lost.

I always bought my mom w/ Alzheimer's 3 or 4 identical pairs of slippers, gloves, etc, so if one gets lost there's always a replacement.

What about some nice silk undergarments to go beneath her pretty clothes?

I understand you would have to find a style that she can wear (get on and off) considering limited agility, but I picked up some stretchy, comfy tops from JCP last year.

Also, I think it was in the Land's End catalogue that I noticed some styles geared toward older women, with elastic at parts of the waist, etc. Quality, too, you can wash that stuff over and over and over...!

Also, find out after a few weeks if there is an item or two that she specifically likes, and then buy exact duplicates of that item immediately. It may not be available in a year when the first wears out or gets lost.

I always bought my mom w/ Alzheimer's 3 or 4 identical pairs of slippers, gloves, etc, so if one gets lost there's always a replacement.

Wonderful ideas!

I think this might work - ignore that they call it school uniform. :lol:

http://www.landsend.com/pp/WomensFleeceShawlCollarCardigan~223005_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::PRH&CM_MERCH=search-_-womens+polar+fleece+shirt&origin=search

I think that any polar fleece tops would work very nicely. She may prefer a cardigan style as she can wear it over other things easily as needed.

Vermont Country Store has some sweatpants cut like slacks:

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/store/jump/productDetail/Clothing/Women&aposs/Bottoms/Women&aposs_Sweatpants/60005

They do also have some sweatshirt type tops, listed under their sweaters and jackets section....

Orvis also carries quite a bit of fleece:

http://www.orvis.com/store/product_directory_showcase3.aspx?dir_id=832&group_id=852&cat_id=5285&subcat_id=6845