Menu

Now that I can make a good pie: how to homeschool? advice from long-timers

I'm popping over from my usual K-8 hangout, hoping for some sensible advice (since the last time I was here y'all were very kind and helpful).

An "Ah-ha!" moment hit me Thursday and I'm still reeling :001_huh:. As part of Thanksgiving dinner I made an apple pie, and it was AMAZING! even I thought so :D. I have been making apple pies for about 14 years now, and have finally got it down. Tips from Julia Child, Cook's Illustrated, Alice Waters, and the folks at Whole Foods, plus the accumulation of years of experience, brought it all together.

But I've only been homeschooling for a couple of years; and in 14, Button will be gone! And while pies and homeschooling are not identical (I don't make a pie nearly every day) it has been argued by clever folks that it takes about 10 years to get really expert at anything.

So my question is: do you have any pointers to shorten my learning curve? Are there ideas that made a real difference, or particular writers that exerted a strong influence? I'm not even sure what are the most important questions to ask, but thought I'd try folks who have been schooling a while, or are nearer the end of the homsechooling journey and might have reflected on such things. These days I feel so caught in the trees (of our daily and yearly goals, and managing the home) that I am not sure I'm in the right part of the forest. What is the home educating equivalent of cold flour and butter, careful measuring, good proportions of sugar and salt, just enough water and some fraisage to bring the dough together -- plus a judicious mix of sweet and tart apples :)?

I realize this is vague, hope it isn't annoying, and am very grateful for any replies you make.

You might want to take a look at this recent thread with a similar theme:

s/o 9th grade disaster

I would add that in my experience (one in college, one 10th grader), slow and steady (but consistent) wins the race. Focus on really nailing the basics (math, grammar, writing), and then read lots and lots of good books. I started Latin with my younger one in the 2nd grade with Prima Latina. He'll be taking AP Latin next year. All that time spent on Latin has lead to a great base for him in many areas.

My other piece of advice would be to do the best you can in laying out and executing a solid schooling plan. However, when you look back, you're likely to wish you had done certain things better. I've found, though, that with good basics, kids can rise to the occasion more than you'd think. My oldest is thriving despite having used some curriculum that I'd never use again.

And one other thing -- cherish the relationship you're building with your sons. Raising happy, polite, kind, resilient kids who aren't afraid of hard work is also a very important goal of hsing.

Congrats on getting that pie just right!

Brenda

I've had a draft plan for homeschooling from the beginning that covered all the way to graduation. Each year I tweek it a bit, but it is great to see where we've come from and where we're going.

And yes, read the "disaster" thread.

I've always kept the pressure on appropriately and inspect what I expect. Work habits are very important to me, and mine have learned to be self-sufficient if necessary. So high school really hasn't been a big deal. Just a bit longer and deeper.

I'm only in my 9th year of homeschooling, but from what I've read here and in talking with other homeschooling moms, you can learn to make the best apple pie with one child, and then you think you're all set for the next, only to find out that one requires a lemon meringue pie. Some of the same rules will carry over, but a lot will be completely different. I think I'd sum it up to say - do the best you can. There are some things you'll be glad you did or didn't, and others you wish you had or hadn't.

And you thought your question was vague. :tongue_smilie: :lol: Will be interesting to read what the true experts have to share. :001_smile:

In all honesty, consistency and constancy are probably the 2 key elements to our homeschool successes. I write daily plans that have them doing every subject every day and their days aren't over until their scheduled work for the day is finished. Their daily plans increase in difficulty gradually yet appropriately. However, some of the routines behind the plans still remain the same. (for example, my kids start writing 1 paper/week in 3rd grade and the routine pretty much remains the same until the graduate. However, the simple paragraphs of a 3rd grader turn into 3-5 pg essays of a high schooler.)

The disasters we have endured have been from my failure to stick to my responsibilities (like making sure work is being done and grading it promptly.) The others have come in the form of outsourced classes that I assumed were teaching what they were supposed and they weren't.

As far as nitty gritty measurements/recipes......those are better suited to the pinch of this and a pinch of that. I have never taught any 2 students the same way, nor have I managed to teach the same subject the same way twice. I really think it is all in the "eye and touch". You know how when you bake bread (or I guess pie crust) and you simply have to learn to know when it is right b/c there is no way of really giving "exact measurements" b/c humidity/temp/etc all impact it and you have simply observe and determine during that specific baking? The minutia of "the what" is more along those lines where "the how" (the technique and over all general ingredients) is what makes our homeschool work.

Our homeschool does not have leaps in difficulty or mental transitions that are supposed to occur between grammar/logic/rhetoric or opportunities for not doing work. Our philosophy is simply putting one foot in front of the other repeatedly and the work isn't optional but required before any other activities are allowed.

I've been at this for only 6 years. So haven't made it all the way yet. And, I have an only. That said, here's what I see so far...

All our major issues have been because of me. I didn't prepare properly. I didn't grade lessons until it was too late. I was too tired to deal with the issue. I insisted on a curriculum I liked but was a bad fit. I...

Never sacrifice your child's character to school work. Some days, "school" is about character, not fractions. The goal is to have very few of these sooner not later. :D

Always cover the core subjects every day at least until high school. My dd was reading Ramona the Pest when she was five. We still used a reading and spelling program, just at a higher level.

SWB's writing suggestion of copy work, dictation, narration, outlining, essay really does work. Do not skip copy work, dictation and narration. Sit with your child during the copy work and dictation stage. Do not allow mistakes. Correct immediately. Yes, my daughter cried about this at first. Tough cookies. :D She got it after a few weeks, and it was fine.

Follow your plan. I've had our course plan through high school laid out since about fifth grade. Prerequisites start earlier than you might think. If you know your plan, you can tell if you are heading in the right direction despite only being part of the way there. Meaning, dictation and narration may not seem like much in third grade, so just remind yourself where your going by checking your map. You won't see your destination for a while, but all those landmarks tell you that you're going in the right direction.

You might want to take a look at this recent thread with a similar theme:

s/o 9th grade disaster

I would add that in my experience (one in college, one 10th grader), slow and steady (but consistent) wins the race. Focus on really nailing the basics (math, grammar, writing), and then read lots and lots of good books. I started Latin with my younger one in the 2nd grade with Prima Latina. He'll be taking AP Latin next year. All that time spent on Latin has lead to a great base for him in many areas. ...

And one other thing -- cherish the relationship you're building with your sons. Raising happy, polite, kind, resilient kids who aren't afraid of hard work is also a very important goal of hsing.

It's been marvelously reassuring to hear that everyone agrees covering the basics, daily, is essential. We're in a community of (very lovely, very kind) unschoolers here and, esp. given that Button's intense and temperamental, I sometimes feel like the most Draconian mama ever! I also appreciate the perspective on relationship-building, since that's a hefty chunk of my motivation for home schooling.

I've had a draft plan for homeschooling from the beginning that covered all the way to graduation. Each year I tweek it a bit, but it is great to see where we've come from and where we're going.

:lol: I had a moment recently when I was angsting about our progress, and then I realized I was accomplishing all my most important goals (these are more gestalt-y than the daily basics: moving toward discipline, service, a great knowledge of and affection for the world and its inhabitants ...) This reminder to draft a plan is timely. We're trying to prepare the boys for serious academic achievement ...

I'm only in my 9th year of homeschooling' date=' but from what I've read here and in talking with other homeschooling moms, you can learn to make the best apple pie with one child, and then you think you're all set for the next, only to find out that one requires a lemon meringue pie. [/quote']

and how! thank goodness, Bot-bot is a much more straightforward fellow than his older brother. New problems are sure to come up -- Button is perfectionistic, the little one may tend to be careless -- but I don't think it'll be a harder row to hoe. Could be wrong, though ...

In all honesty, consistency and constancy are probably the 2 key elements to our homeschool successes. I write daily plans that have them doing every subject every day and their days aren't over until their scheduled work for the day is finished. ...

The disasters we have endured have been from my failure to stick to my responsibilities (like making sure work is being done and grading it promptly.) ... I have never taught any 2 students the same way, nor have I managed to teach the same subject the same way twice. I really think it is all in the "eye and touch".

All our major issues have been because of me. I didn't prepare properly. I didn't grade lessons until it was too late. I was too tired to deal with the issue. I insisted on a curriculum I liked but was a bad fit. ...

Never sacrifice your child's character to school work.

Always cover the core subjects every day at least until high school.

SWB's writing suggestion of copy work, dictation, narration, outlining, essay really does work.

Follow your plan.

This thread has been great for reminding me to be accountable! Hearing advice to make sure I do my part, and do it honestly (I've also tried to fit a child to a curriculum) and regularly. I just ordered a Sonlight core b/c Button's still happiest with the literature we bought from them last year; I don't know how we'll incorporate everything, but what he needs most is to develop a love of reading. I'd prefer WTM recs, or Ambleside, or maybe TOG (for some completely idiotic, show-offy reason these options make me feel like a More Hard Core Mama ;)), but Sonlight fits this goal best for us now ...

Also: the amount of self-discipline required to homeschool well has been a bit of a shock :D. And Button's math (a subject he's accelerated in) has been a terrific ground for character development, for both of us!

I have a good amount to think over. I'm so encouraged that the thrust of the comments here overlap so strongly: basics; pay attention to the actual child and how they are doing/responding; hold your end up; keep the goal in mind, and work toward it consistently; more basics :).

Well, you know, anybody can follow recipe from here or there, but until you tweak it and make it your own, it's never quite right for those you love. :) All truly great cooks became that way over time and experience. ;)

I'm in my eleventh year; it almost feels like I'm happy with the recipe.

Edited by BlsdMama

This thread has been great for reminding me to be accountable! Hearing advice to make sure I do my part, and do it honestly (I've also tried to fit a child to a curriculum) and regularly. I just ordered a Sonlight core b/c Button's still happiest with the literature we bought from them last year; I don't know how we'll incorporate everything, but what he needs most is to develop a love of reading. I'd prefer WTM recs, or Ambleside, or maybe TOG (for some completely idiotic, show-offy reason these options make me feel like a More Hard Core Mama ;)), but Sonlight fits this goal best for us now ...

You can be "hard core" and use SL as well. I mixed SL as a history/reading core with other curricula and TWTM suggestions for Latin, LA, math, etc, and it's turned out well. Once we got to high school, SL didn't seem to fit as well. My 10th grader is taking a rigorous British Lit course at a local coop, and he is doing very well. All that SL reading over the years (and Latin study) has laid a great foundation for him. Sounds like you're on a great track for your family...

Brenda

Hearing advice to make sure I do my part, and do it honestly (I've also tried to fit a child to a curriculum) and regularly. I just ordered a Sonlight core b/c Button's still happiest with the literature we bought from them last year; I don't know how we'll incorporate everything, but what he needs most is to develop a love of reading. I'd prefer WTM recs, or Ambleside, or maybe TOG (for some completely idiotic, show-offy reason these options make me feel like a More Hard Core Mama ;)), but Sonlight fits this goal best for us now ...

This is just what I mean. It is very easy to hop on the boards and read a bevy of positive or negative reviews and switch up what is already WORKING for you!

Other good advice I've gotten here?

Examine your shelves regularly. There is a reason you chose to buy what you bought!

This goes along with the first part:

Recognize you have a teaching style and recognize each child's bent. Often I think we know something won't work for us and we buy it anyway.

The flip side of that is when you like something, if possible, don't let price dissuade you from buying. I've done that and in the end I wish I had gone with the original.