Menu

Need great facial moisturizer that won't make me break out...

Just moved to Colorado and experiencing my first DRY winter here...I have combination/oily skin, and do not use thick moisturizers on my face. I wish I could, but they clog my pores and make me break out.

I've tried several oil-free kinds already (Avalon Organics Vitamin C, ALBA green tea, dove and jergens natural tint moisturizer) and they aren't giving me the moisture that my face needs..skin still looks very dry and feels very tight.

When I have tried thicker more lush products, it seems to be too much for my skin and I break out. There has to be a middle ground, right?

Any advice? I love CO so much, but have quickly learned I don't want to be w/out sunscreen, lip balm or moisturizer at any given time.:lol:

well, i read on here that extra virgin olive oil is good. so, i bought some and tried it. my face did not break out and it looked great! i don't have acne prone skin, although i do have very sensitive skin. i tried it on a sunday night, just in case my face reacted it would have some time to clear up without seeing people out & about, lol. but to my surprise, it didn't have a negative reaction at all and felt really lovely & looked healthy.

This will sound odd, but I have used Aveeno Soothing Relief Moisture Cream on my face for years now. It is the ONLY one that doesn't break me out or irritate my skin. It feels thick, and you would think it would cause breakouts, but it really really doesn't. This is the specific one. http://www.amazon.com/Aveeno-Soothing-Moisture-Fragrance-8-Ounce/dp/B001FZGTJA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322325149&sr=8-1

The regular baby one doesn't work, it has to be this one. OH, and the adult ones break me out.

My skin does best if I use a cleanser-toner-moisturizer system. I've used several different brands with about the same results, so I stick with one: Artistry (Amway's cosmetic line).

At any rate, maybe doing that three-step process will help you: cleanse, use a toner (applied with a cotton ball or pad), moisturize while your face is still damp from the toner.

I cannot use any body soap--Ivory, Caress, Dove, any of those...all of them dry out my skin. I have to use a facial soap such as Neutrogena, or a facial cleanser of some kind.

If I use a moisturizer, even my regular one, without the toner, my skin feels all nasty.

I had the same problem when we first moved to WA state (not the rainy part) - it is soo dry here. MY skin felt terrible!

I've been using Hope in a Jar and it works great. It is light, not greasy, absorbs quickly, and doesn't make me break out. One jar lasts me about a year. Go to Sephora - they're in most JcPenney's - and ask for a sample so you can try it out.

After trying all kinds of products, some quite expensive, some not, I always end up back with Neutrogena products.

I love this one best:

Ageless Restoratives® Anti-Oxidant Night Moisturizer.

I try to pick the one I want, on the Neutrogena site, rather than wait till I get to the store and select from what's on the shelf.

For my age-related dry skin (not the same problem you describe, but dry skin is dry skin) I have been using cocoanut oil all over my body, and I use the last bit on my hands, over the night face moisturizer, on dryer areas of my face, eyes and neck. My skin has never felt better, since using the cocoanut oil, too. It's quite inexpensive, goes a long way, smells great.

Also, all moisturizing is done right out of the shower/bath, after gentle towel-drying. Keeping that moisture in.

I have oily/combination skin and tend to get very dry skin in the winter. I've finally figured out how to keep my pores clear and moisturize. It has made a huge difference in my skin and I don't get all the breakouts anymore. I only use cold water to wash my face, warm or hot dry out my skin. I wash with a very gentle cleanser- Kiss My Face foaming hand soap, once in the morning, once at night. I tone with Thayer's Rose Petal Witch Hazel once after the night wash. I moisturize with Jason's Aloe Vera unscented lotion after both washes. The lotion I use a small amount and pat it on. It is not too thick and soaks right in. Since I started this routine my face isn't even oily/combination anymore. It is actually normal for once.

My favorite these days is Cetaphil Daily Moisturizer. It's light, doesn't make me break out, and has SPF of 15. And it's relatively inexpensive at Walgreens.

:iagree:

I am a GA girl now living in CO. The dryness here is very tough on skin and especially skin that is used to humidity. Unfortunately, almost everything I used made my skin breakout. My cheeks were especially bad and I would have little red bumps underneath the skin.

My MIL, who is in her middle 70's, still has beautiful skin so I asked what she uses. She said she knew a dermatologist when she lived in CA that had beautiful skin so MIL asked her what she used. She whispered that she herself used the Cetaphil from Walgreen's and that it was better than any of the high priced stuff the dermatologists push.

I started using it and my face has never had a problem since (11 years).

Cetaphil also carries a daily type moisterizer that is a little heavier, but still a lotion. I use this during the winter.

I've been using Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisturizer for several years and love it. I prefer the one for sensitive skin. FYI, the Equate version is exactly the same and only about 1/3 of the price. I grabbed it once by mistake and it was actually a really good product.

I recently started using Neutrogena Extra-Gentle cleanser and alcohol-free toner as well and love them.

I have combination skin.

• 1 year later...

I ve in the south but due to age I have dryer skin.olive oil and coconut oil both burn my skin. I can use oil of Olay sensitive skin formula and Clinique moisture surge. I also use a moisturizer from Clinique for redness. So far they have worked for me. I'll have to grabs bottle of cetaphil and equate neutropenia and see how they work.

I'm here in CO with combination skin as well. Mine is also very sensitive, so any with fragrances are out.

My routine is very simple. Olay Sensitive face wash morning and night. I use Olay Sensitive SPF 30 for during the day. And I love Cerave PM for at night. It is somewhere between a gel and a lotion, so not heavy, but packed with moisturizers.

I'll second or third the olive oil. BUT, I'll also recommend using it before your shower. I use about a tablespoon on my face before I shower, get it nice and oily. Then I use a hot washcloth to help draw out the excess (and the dirt with it). Afterwards my skin is soft and still moisturized. I don't get the same feeling using it after the shower only - my skin takes those few minutes, realizes it's dry, and starts trying to overproduce oil. Then I end up with an oily/dry face.

Extra virgin olive oil - straight up. God's perfect moisturizer. Seriously, it's amazing. Make sure that you're using a mild cleanser that will remove makeup but that doesn't strip too much natural oil from your face, or your skin will get mad and start overproducing oil to compensate, and then it will break out, and then you'll treat it with harsh chemicals that make it feel dry, etc. and the cycle continues. Story of my life until I started using EVOO.

EVOO has literally transformed my skin, which is acne-prone, combination skin. If I don't use anything at all, my skin gets very dry and tight after washing, but then develops oily patches later. BUT, just a little bit of EVOO all over makes it look and feel so good - very soft and supple, and I almost never get zits anymore, and when I do, I can usually attribute it to allowing too much junk into my diet - or, committing the cardinal sin of skin care: going to bed with makeup on my face.

I only put on the EVOO after washing my face (I use a mild, fragrance-free cleanser for sensitive skin - by Clean and Clear). Since I wash my face at night and put on the EVOO before bed, if I don't shower in the morning I don't need to put anything at all on my face - it still looks and feels wonderful from the night before. You may have to experiment a bit to find just the right amount - it shouldn't really feel oily after you put it on and wait a few seconds - just soft. If you put on too much, just gently wipe off the extra with a dry washcloth. And do be sure to put it on right away after a shower, or after washing your face. You don't want your skin to start feeling dry and then overproduce oil.

And FWIW, I am 41 years old and I don't think my skin is anything exceptional (I have a somewhat ruddy complexion with freckles and few minor acne scars), but a couple of weeks ago I had a stranger tell me that I have beautiful skin. I told her I just use EVOO on it and she was shocked. :-) DH is also amazed and thrilled at the difference.

If the smell of EVOO bothers you, just add a few drops of essential oil to whatever bottle you use. I use sweet orange in mine and it's lovely.

Anyway, I'd suggest trying it. You probably have it in your pantry right now, it's cheap as dirt (I fill a 2-oz squirt bottle and it literally lasts for months) and even if it doesn't work like you want it to you at least won't have wasted any money.