Menu

Has anyone used The Phonics of Drawing?

Chris in VA

I think that's what it's called. I found it in the RR catty and it looks like the kind of art instruction dd would both like and need.

We've done Artistic Pursuits (just the very first one) and some process art, and she's worked thru selected Draw-Write-Now books (and some books that break down drawing specific animals step-by-step). I don't really like having just a model and a procedure for her to copy; I want her to learn shading and perspective and really SEEING something.

I have it, but have not had time to implement it this year.

From what I've seen of the program, it looks like it would be useful for those who do need step by step instruction through the process of drawing something.

Quite personally, it would drive me bonkers. I don't like the method, having never been a step-by-step kind of artist. I do much better with Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, but there is much less direct instruction in that book.

As far as my boys go, one will likely do very, very well with the program, and the other will likely have his days.

Well, when I say step by step, I mean, do they give you a drawing already completed and then tell you how to draw it step by step? Or do they show you a procedure and let you create your own picture?

The first project I looked at for my boys was a drawing of a teddy bear. The lesson starts with shapes, and you rough in the basic body parts. The following lessons use what you have drawn already and build on it.

Which is why it would send me into fits.

Actually, I was interested in the program because I have at least one young boy who looks at things in that exact way--and one who is more like his old mum. I'll likely tweak Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain for him.

I think that's what it's called. I found it in the RR catty and it looks like the kind of art instruction dd would both like and need.

We've done Artistic Pursuits (just the very first one) and some process art, and she's worked thru selected Draw-Write-Now books (and some books that break down drawing specific animals step-by-step). I don't really like having just a model and a procedure for her to copy; I want her to learn shading and perspective and really SEEING something.

I have it. We've been working through it slowly. *I* like it, but I can see how a lot of people wouldn't. And it invariably sends my (artistic) dd into tears. In defense of the curric, though, she's a little on the young side for it.

I like it because it's set up a lot like my intro to drawing class in college. I understand what it's talking about & can teach it. Otoh, that could be what's wrong w/ it, too: too mature for my intended audience. (Ds does well w/ it. Ds is 10; dd is 8.)

I'm not sure how much of what I like is actually there & how much is what I'm adding to it, but it's the 1st art curric I've liked. We used DWN for a bit, but the kids balked at it mostly. I've looked at...shoot, I can remember what the books looked like, but...Mona Brookes? Was that the author's name? The book was rec'd in the 1st ed of WTM...Drawing With Children, maybe?

The results in the book were nice, but *I* couldn't follow the presentation of the teaching. I think students AND teachers have to get along w/ the style of presentation for it to work.

Here's a link to some photos (toward the bottom) of how our first projects turned out--kids were 9 & 7. Not great pics, but something.