Menu

Warning about Pay Pass on Debit/credit cards

So, we dh and I were stumped today. Our debit cards were compromised. It stinks, but happens sometimes. Dh had it happen once, and I spent at Michael's during the at risk time. Pain in the neck, lots of paper work, but not the end of the world.

The part that got us, is that this time, it was both of our debits cards that went on a crazy spending spree. We have not been anywhere where we both used our cards.

We also both have our cards, but they were being swiped, not used online.

Turns out that while we were sitting and having lunch at Panera on Wednesday, someone got within 18 inches of us. They had a RFID data reader in a pocket and were able to pick up the radio signal from the pay pass. Then they went home and made cards, and spending spree commenced.

So, just a warning, your card info can be stolen while sitting safely in your purse, on your lap as you don't trust hanging it on the back of a chair if you have a contact-less pay feature. Just FYI

Nicole

So what can be done to block the signal? Surely there must be a way. Perhaps a metal case of some kind to keep the cards in? Of course that would not be convenient at all, but if this happened to you, then it is probably happening to a lot more people. Anyone know how to prevent a rogue RFID user from reading the cards?

So what can be done to block the signal? Surely there must be a way. Perhaps a metal case of some kind to keep the cards in? Of course that would not be convenient at all, but if this happened to you, then it is probably happening to a lot more people. Anyone know how to prevent a rogue RFID user from reading the cards?

You can wrap them in aluminum foil. My dh got us both special wallets.

Do you have to have that feature? After what happened with you, I don't think I'm interested at all. I hope my bank doesn't move to that technology.

I know last time I checked at my bank, I had the option to order a card without this feature. I think it's one of the dumbest ideas ever, precisely for the reason the OP described.

Another friend informed me that you need to protect your passport too.

I read about the foil, another friend told me that you can bash the chip with a hammer.

I am calling the bank on Monday to see if we can get our card without the pay pass feature. I am starting to think that jars buried in the back yard might not be such a bad idea after all.

So, somehow, there are still charges going through (I guess from stores posting that don't do it daily. We got woken up this morning by wallmart calling to confirm our online order. Here is the scary part, they had created a wallmart.com account, with my dh's name, address, and phone number.

We are going out tomorrow to buy a locking mailbox (just in case) I am going to call and order all new cards, even the uncompromised ones. I am going to be dealing in cash a lot more and leaving my cards at home.

We have equifax already, and this morning both my hubby and I went in and put a fraud alert on our accounts. It means if anyone tries to open an account they will call the number we provided to verify.

I really wanted to be doing Christmas decorating today, not researching how best to protect our identities.

I was staying positive, and then I got a bill from my MRI in the mail. Insurance should cover it, but come Monday I am going to have all this paperwork to sort through, and have to fight with my insurance company. We had $123 in the bank before this happened, I can't pay $1182 for a preventative test. I am really gloomy now and trying to snap out of it. Urgh!!!!! I guess it is good I am going to play laser tag with my family tonight.

And how do you know if you have it?

My card says it right on there. I got a new card this year and didn't realize I had a choice. I will be requesting the non pay pass card on Monday or pulling out the tin foil. I always wanted to wear a tin foil hat, so this is the next best thing.:tongue_smilie:

your card should say pay pass on it if it is a mastercard. It is for those new machines where you just have to tap your card rather than swipe it.

corporate travel safety has some good items on it for protection. We are going to be looking into those. DH and I are thinking of getting each other a RFID safe wallet each for Christmas this year. They also have some great travel bags. Not just RFID safe, but safe from other types of pickpockets etc... DH is from the UK, so we travel to Europe every other year, and we might get one for our passports and such.

The Laser tag was good, and I am feeling much better. I got my little sister 12 times, and she only hit me twice:lol: