Menu

How long to write a good research paper?

I tutor students in writing. Next semester I am planning for them to do one research paper. My students range from one 7th grader to high school juniors, and from the Type-A go-getters to average to really struggling.

I was thinking of giving six weeks to do the research paper:

First class: Orientation to steps in writing research paper.

Second class: Topic and loose, general outline due; students should have started researching.

Third class: Half note cards due

Fourth class: Final note cardsdue

Fifth class: Detailed, revised outline due

Sixth class: Final paper due

Should I add in a rough draft stage between the fifth and sixth class?

Is six weeks about right for this?

More weeks/less weeks???

Have they done any research papers? How long are these papers? Have they done research? How many sources would be expected? Are these new topics to them or something they are familiar with? I'm not so knowledgeable about TEACHING the writing process, but I've done a lot of research papers and I've taken technical writing.

I think that you have an outline due too soon. It's difficult to do an ouline without knowledge of the topic. If writing process is the first week, research would be the second week. How do you research? Is wikipedia a legitimate source? Once you've started research, you can start formulating how the paper will work itself out. Then, yes, I would have a rough draft due. In my mind, it would be 8 weeks. If they are familiar with all of the steps and this is a "put it all together" project, you could do less.

Edited by snickelfritz

Well, I think a rough draft should be included.

How old are they? Have they done research papers before? How long do you want the paper to be? How many sources? Do you need to include a class just on bibliographies and citing sources?

I'll just add this thought... which is that I think research papers are often over-emphasized. Important, yes. But if I was working on writing skills with a kid, I'd much rather work on essay writing and other skills first. Especially in schools, where they have 4th and 5th graders doing "research papers" I think they've got it backwards. But depending on the age and skill level of your students, I do think it's a good idea.

Have they done any research papers? How long are these papers? Have they done research? How many sources would be expected? Are these new topics to them or something they are familiar with? I'm not so knowledgeable about TEACHING the writing process, but I've done a lot of research papers and I've taken technical writing.

I think that you have an outline due too soon. It's difficult to do an ouline without knowledge of the topic. If writing process is the first week, research would be the second week. How do you research? Is wikipedia a legitimate source? Once you've started research, you can start formulating how the paper will work itself out. Then, yes, I would have a rough draft due. In my mind, it would be 8 weeks. If they are familiar with all of the steps and this is a "put it all together" project, you could do less.

Some have done research papers; some not. Most have not done any serious, MLA-style papers.

Most have done only the bare minimum on research assignments.

I was thinking 4-6 sources???? Is that the right amount?

Students pick the topic. I will encourage them to either:

--Research a topic relevant to their current history or science studies

OR

--Use this as an opportunity to research something of interest to them.

As for the outline, I was thinking that the first outline would be extremely basic, more of a list of loose subject headings, just to help them focus their research. The second outline would be a detailed outline based on their research. What do you think of that procedure?

Well, I think a rough draft should be included.

How old are they? Have they done research papers before? How long do you want the paper to be? How many sources? Do you need to include a class just on bibliographies and citing sources?

I'll just add this thought... which is that I think research papers are often over-emphasized. Important, yes. But if I was working on writing skills with a kid, I'd much rather work on essay writing and other skills first. Especially in schools, where they have 4th and 5th graders doing "research papers" I think they've got it backwards. But depending on the age and skill level of your students, I do think it's a good idea.

They are mostly in high school, ranging from 9th-11th grade. I have one 7th grader who is struggling--I modify all his assignments to fit him more particularly. Most of my students have not done research papers at all.

How long? I was thinking maybe 8-10 pages?

Sources? 4-6???

Probably should cover citing and bibliography issues.

For several of my students, this may well be the only MLA research paper they will do at all in high school. I figured if I drag them through the process once they will be able to do it again as needed in college.

I have had them doing primarily short essays most of this semester. The last five weeks of this semester they have done one book review and will do one formal literary analysis. Next semester, aside from the research paper, they will do short essays.