Menu

Leapfrog Leapster2, Explorer or Leappad?!?!?

Arrgh! I don't know what to get for my 4 year old. I do know that I want to get him one of those preschooler cameras. He's always wanting to take pics with mine and I think he'd really have a lot of fun with his own. If we're getting him a camera, should we just go ahead and get one of these Leapfrog things? I understand how the Leappad is different, but I don't really see much of a difference between the Leapster2 and the Explorer. You can buy a camera attachment for the Explorer (not sure if it works with the LS2) but then you've spend so much that you might as well spend a bit more and get the Leappad, cause it already has a camera with it. But would it be too awkward to take pics with? I think having the larger screen would make it more fun to do fun things with the pics......I just can't make a decision!!!!! Any advice would really be appreciated.

We have both Leapster2s and an Explorer and I'd say go with the Explorer of a Leapster2. The video quality of the Explorer is far superior. We haven't done a Leappad because it seems like just a big Explorer, but I could be wrong.

You could also go with a DS. While more expensive, they also come with a camera. It will be my 4yo's big gift this year.

We have both Leapster2s and an Explorer and I'd say go with the Explorer of a Leapster2. The video quality of the Explorer is far superior. We haven't done a Leappad because it seems like just a big Explorer, but I could be wrong.

You could also go with a DS. While more expensive, they also come with a camera. It will be my 4yo's big gift this year.

Thanks for the ideas- I had never even thought of a DS. I guess I thought that my ds was too little for that. But he's probably not, huh? I'm always thinking that my kids aren't big enough to do something and then they go ahead and do it.

I thought I was going to be a parent that severely limited video games and here I am considering a DS for my 4 year old!!!

Thanks for the ideas- I had never even thought of a DS. I guess I thought that my ds was too little for that. But he's probably not' date=' huh? I'm always thinking that my kids aren't big enough to do something and then they go ahead and do it.

I thought I was going to be a parent that severely limited video games and here I am considering a DS for my 4 year old!!![/quote']

My kids don't play a lot of video games, but they do use their Leapsters for things like trips to the doctor, road trips, and occasionally, quiet time. We like having them. And I'm amazed how many games there are for the younger set with the DS options! TRU has some DS games B1G1 for Black Friday.

My issue with the Leapsters is that it really is only limited to 4-6 yos. My 5yo is really starting to outgrow ours. We are hoping the DSes will last a while...because, to be honest? I want a few games for ME to play!

This is the first I've heard of the new LeapPads. We still have the old product with the same name -- the thing that you fit the books into. They were only discontinued a few years ago, IIRC. Given that the current product is entirely different, I wonder why they didn't come up with a new name. :confused: For instance, it makes it pretty difficult to do a search if people want to buy and sell used books and cartridges.

Or are we all just expected to trash the old LeapPads... because they're, like, so five minutes ago? ;)