Menu

IEW Users

kwg

Oh! I thought those theme books were to be used after the TWSS. Maybe I should try that.

I can't really imagine sitting down watching all those dvds.

It makes it easier to watch the DVDs but the theme books seem pretty much self-explanatory in combo with the teacher edition and the student resource book that comes with them. I suspect the book you posted would make it even more clear as well as the book that comes with the TWSS yet is also sold as a stand-alone product.

I know the thought of watching all of those DVD's really makes people cringe, but I think you are doing yourself and your students a disservice if you don't have TWSS. If it's the price that puts you off, maybe you can just get the TWSS notebook w/o the DVD's. IMHO, that will give you a really good overview and basis for the program, making the teaching of the theme books a little easier.

We are using SWI-B, and I don't have the TWSS. I guess I don't know what I'm missing, but it has been perfect for us. We watch the DVD (which teaches the student directly) together each week, so we both learn together. I think I read that some of the topics in TWSS are not covered in SWI, but if you buy the next SWI product (can't remember what it's called!), then that covers the missing topics.

But I think this is a great way to see if this program works for you without sitting through all the DVDs and without spending a lot of money. It took me a long time to make this decision, especially when I read that so many people said the TWSS is what is most important, etc. But what finally convinced me is that someone said that in some country (S. Africa or Australia???! can't remember) that SWI only is sold and I guess marketed as being all that you need to use the course. Sorry I can't remember the details of that, but anyway - it convinced me!

I have been very happy with our decision. My ds is in 6th grade, so I probably won't ever buy the TWSS. But I do think the SWI would be a great way to try out the program and if you had multiple kids or your child was younger (meaning many more years of writing), then you could always decide to also buy TWSS if you thought you needed it. I like that SWI teaches directly to the child and makes it very clear - and saves me tons of time!

I agree that the TWSS is the best way to go. You don't have to watch all the DVDs at once to get started. You could watch the DVDs for units 1-3, then get started with that. Once you are ready to move on you could watch them unit by unit as you teach. Personally, I wouldn't try to teach the theme books without having viewed the TWSS, because they do not include a thorough explanation of the program. They are meant to provide source texts for those who do not want to find them on their own. I do think you could use the SWI without having viewed the TWSS, because it has Andrew teaching the concepts. I think the book linked above is recommended as your student progresses with the program, but I'm sure it couldn't hurt to look it over at any point.

Okay I personally absolutely HATE watching tv and dvds, it drives me insane. I spoke with Andrew P, who HIGHLY recommended against getting the BSS because it is a dry boring spine to IEW. I admire Andrew and respect his view point, but bought the BSS anyway, because he does not understand how much I read and how much I detest watching videos.

Well... couple of things. Yes, it is the spine of the program, but it is not the program. Making cross overs between the SWI-A or Medieval History would have been difficult to say the least. As it happened another friend bought the DVDs... I borrowed hers, bought the notebook, borrowed her DVDs again (second time within 6 months), then got myself my own set of DVDs.

I have not finished BSS, I have enjoy reading it from time to time... but see it more as interesting background information to go with the program than a how to.

I really believe that if you do not watch the DVDs you will not have the information you need to make this program successful and enjoyable for both student and teacher.

I would recommend checking homeschool groups, libraries and any homeschooling friends to see if they can help you find a set to borrow. Then you can decide rather you want them for yourself or not.

OR.... go with the great return policy from IEW.

BSS is intended for somebody who has a lot of experience with IEW. Most people will never need it.

One thing to remember about the DVDs is that you don't have to watch them all at one time. You will not necessarily go through all 9 units in one year (depending on the age of your child), and you only need to watch them as you start a new unit.

IEW does indeed have an excellent return policy. I've used it with a product that did not work for us, and there were no problems whatsoever. I love that company!