Menu

Last minute Thanksgiving help needed

Tomorrow I'm supposed to bring an appetizer and the makings for a non-alcoholic cranberry punch. I'll have to shop tomorrow morning. We don't leave until around 3 pm so I have a bit of time. But I'm sick again with pericarditis and am not moving so spryly right now. My plan was to go to the grocery store and just grab something but if you could give me some good ideas, that might be better.;)

Sour cream and ranch style dressing powder mix. Mix them together and you have dip - eat with chips, doritos, small carrots or broccoli. Or buy some premixed dip and chips. There are also brie cheese and specialty crackers. If you shop at Bel Air - go to the deli section. Cheese is usually around there. Keeps it simple.

Quick punch: one liter Sierra Mist/Sprite/7UP/generic-lemon-lime-soda to one 64 oz bottle of juice. Last time I combined Sierra Mist with the store brand cranberry-pomegranate juice. It was good. If you want to pretty it up you could float some fresh cranberries and mint leaves in it. Just chill the bottles and combine just before serving time. Easy!

Hope you feel better VERY soon. Seems like last time you had that, it took a while to get better.

My sister whipped this up recently:

Get Pillsbury crescent rolls and a chub of Jimmy Dean sausage. It was two of one and one of the other, but I can't remember which (I'd guess two of the crescent roll packages). Carefully open the rolls dough, and flatten it out onto a counter (don't separate the rolls, leave it as a rectangle). Spread the sausage out on this dough. Roll up and then slice cinnamon roll style; place flat side down on a baking sheet and bake until rolls are browning slightly and sausage is done (a little bit longer than what the Pillsbury packing says, but not too much longer). These were so yummy!

Another idea:

Get a jar of applesauce and some Smokies. Put applesauce in a casserole, mix the Smokies in and add some dried onion. Bake for a bit to heat through, but not so long it bubbles and browns.

Cranberry punch-- you will have to adjust the amounts though to fit the number of people that will be there.

2 c. pineapple juice

1 c. orange juice

Lots of ice

2 c. cranberry juice

1 c. club soda

6 lemon slices

Its fun if you have the different shape ice cube trays- the ones with stars, hearts, or different shapes!

Make sure to find out if/when the store is open; many are closed tomorrow or close early.

For an easy appetizer, I like a platter of tart apple slices, sweet apple slices, mild cheese slices, and sharp cheese slices. Add some crackers if you like, though I like to eat an apple and a cheese slice together. This is very simple, but it usually is quite popular. Of course, there is the labor of doing the slicing. The key of course is to choose high-quality apples and decent quality cheese.

For a no-work option, a nice red pepper hummus and some pita chips or veggies (like baby carrots). Sometimes you can find a 'party pack' with a mix of several hummus flavors. Take a large plate with you, open the hummus and put it in the center of the plate, arrange chips and/or veggies around it.

Hope you feel better VERY soon. Seems like last time you had that, it took a while to get better.

Thanks Auntie. Last Thanksgiving evening I spent in the ER. I'm working really hard (by taking high doses of anti-inflammatories) to not end up there this Thanksgiving. I'm calling the doctor on Friday but I suspect that he won't be in the office until Monday or maybe even Tuesday. So I have to last until then. The good news is that this time I'm not afraid that I'm in the midst of a heart attack (the symptoms are remarkably similar) so that I'm calm about the whole deal.