Menu

pumpkin pie refrigeration (or not)

We don't even have thanksgiving over here but my kids always want the dinner anyway.:confused: So, I've made the pumpkin pie but it isn't anywhere near cool yet so I can't put it in the fridge yet, I'm exhausted and I want to go to bed (it's after 11pm). Can I leave it sitting out or is that a potential health disaster?

We don't even have thanksgiving over here but my kids always want the dinner anyway.:confused: So, I've made the pumpkin pie but it isn't anywhere near cool yet so I can't put it in the fridge yet, I'm exhausted and I want to go to bed (it's after 11pm). Can I leave it sitting out or is that a potential health disaster?

What temp is your weather? How cool/warm is your house?

It's much warmer than usual for November, 12 degrees C overnight, 54 F. This time last year we had first snow. Crazy Irish weather...

Oh, the boiler packed in today so no central heating tonight.:lol:

You know, I do keep mine out overnight (as a pp said). Truly, your weather is not that hot. It will not hurt the pie if it's in the fridge. You can serve cold, cool or lukewarm by tossing back in oven for a few minutes tomorrow. Allrecipes and such probably firmly suggest frig to avoid lawsuits. It's similar to an otc med. There is an expiration date, but surely most meds are fine for a bit beyond the date listed.

OK now, please send your BEST Shepherd's Pie recipe! My dh and I are partly (among others) of Irish descent!!!!!!!!

We never refrigerated them growing up and I don't remember it ever being a problem.

:iagree: Mine are sitting on a pantry shelf right now.

Now, let me go back to fretting about whether I should stuff the bird tomorrow :D. I always do, but it causes me such anxiety that I'm thinking of not.

You know, I do keep mine out overnight (as a pp said). Truly, your weather is not that hot. It will not hurt the pie if it's in the fridge. You can serve cold, cool or lukewarm by tossing back in oven for a few minutes tomorrow. Allrecipes and such probably firmly suggest frig to avoid lawsuits. It's similar to an otc med. There is an expiration date, but surely most meds are fine for a bit beyond the date listed.

OK now, please send your BEST Shepherd's Pie recipe! My dh and I are partly (among others) of Irish descent!!!!!!!!

Shepherd's pie? I'm afraid we don't eat lamb (or duck or game or anything "cute"):tongue_smilie: We do cottage pie with minced beef, nothing fancy, just onions, garlic, minced steak, tomato puree, stock and topped with cheesy mash. Honestly, I don't use recipes for dinner, I just throw in what we have....

About the refrigeration, I am more concerned that the warm pie will raise the temp in the fridge and spoil the meat I have in there.

Shepherd's pie? I'm afraid we don't eat lamb (or duck or game or anything "cute"):tongue_smilie: We do cottage pie with minced beef, nothing fancy, just onions, garlic, minced steak, tomato puree, stock and topped with cheesy mash. Honestly, I don't use recipes for dinner, I just throw in what we have....

About the refrigeration, I am more concerned that the warm pie will raise the temp in the fridge and spoil the meat I have in there.

We don't eat lamb either, but I was thinking of beef of some sorts. The pie out all night will be fine. Obviously if left out for several days then expect some sort of health issue.

Mine just came out of the oven and it will stay on our kitchen counter all night....have done this for years and no problem. Enjoy your day tomorrow.