Menu

Investing?

We have a 401K and a Roth IRA, but we also have investments that are not tied to age requirements, so perhaps we can retire early to travel. According to our FP we are on track to retire comfortably assuming we pay off our house before we retire. Our strategy ismtomdo what our FP tells us too :lol:. He is an honest friend, so we trust him to steer us right.

Well, I don't have a broker or anything, but I think we are starting to get a plan in place. We made a decision to buy a rental house. We already owned one because we couldn't sell our primary home in FL when we moved to SC. So we were forced to be landlords. A house came available in our neighborhood in SC and we bought it. Since then, we have acquired 2 more properties. We had an appointment with a financial planner just before the market tanked (one of the times) a few months back. I am so glad we did not do what we had planned or we would have lost a bundle. We like this idea of rentals way better than putting it in the stock market. Of course, it has risks, but risks I have a bit of control over. Our current plan is to have all of these houses paid for by the time dh is 55. Plus maybe add a couple more. Then we will be able to retired on the income they generate. We also plan to sell each of our kids one for the rock bottom cost we got on them during this recession.

We contribute to dh's work 401K - 6% and his company matches that. We both have embarrassingly small Roth IRAs, but haven't contributed to them in years. In general I think a Roth is better for the long run, but we just haven't put in the effort to contribute more to it. What we need to do is concentrate on paying off our house, but with possible college expenses for 6 children looming, well, I don't think that's gonna happen any time soon.

We have a retirement plan which we started through Husband's former employer, but which we can still add to when we next have cash. We also have a house in London which we rent out (we bought it to live in but then needed to move for work). The mortgage on it is very low, so it provides income. We can either sell it in the future or carry on taking the rental income during our retirement. We also live in a largish house in a tourist area. We plan to divide the house once the boys move out, live in the front and convert the back into a holiday cottage for visiting golfers. We also contribute to our government pension, but who knows what that will be worth....

Laura

I have my retirement with the State of California's teachers retirement system. They are assuring me it will still be there in 20 years when I want/need it. We will see.

DH has a 401K with his work. They match 5% I believe it is. He is contributing 10% or so I think. He also has another retirement account with Fidelity.

Dh works with some guys in their 60s and says he doesn't plan to fully retire if he is healthy and able to work into his late 60s. We will see about that too. If he wishes to work, that is fine. My dad is 75 and still works some, although he can't do as much as he used to.

Mickey Rooney worked up until a couple of weeks before his death. I think some people just really like working.

Dawn