Menu

What questions do I ask?

We are considering sending our 5th grade girl to a local regional STEM school next year for 6th grade. She has never been to school outside our home. I know what to be on the lookout for as to acceptable curriculum but what other questions do I need to ask at the info session next week to help us make the best decision possible for her?

The questions to ask are really dependent on your concerns, but if you are going on a tour, I always like to look at how the students interact with one another and with the teacher. I don't know why, but I always notice the noise level. Too loud and it feels distracting, too quiet and it makes me wonder if students feel free to participate, etc.

If it is a middle school, you might be interested in whether the 6th graders have lunch/recess by themselves or with the 7th and 8th graders. You also might be interested in whether most of the students live in the neighborhood or whether they travel far for the school (easier for social opportunities). You might also ask what the most popular (strongest) electives are. That is a way of finding out whether what they are skilled at matches up with what you are looking for, e.g. some schools might have a terrific band, technology classes, Spanish program, etc.

HTH

Thanks. That is helpful. My daughter will have a chance to actually sit in on a class at the school also so she can truly see what it is like. This particular school doesn't really have extracurricular activities. It is a regional school and kids can participate in those things in their home districts if they choose.