Menu

Tornado/Weather Gift Ideas

DS (nearly 10) has all of the Storm Chasers DVDS and loves them. The best one, though, is The Science of Storm Chasing. Very educational while being entertaining. DS also has a Storm Chasers coffee cup - gifted to him along with cocoa mix. (All available from The Discovery Store.)

He also has numerous books on the topic. I don't know what are his favorites, though.

If you would approve, twitter has live weather feeds, and I've talked with several of the CNN crew live on twitter, they are very friendly and love chatting it up while they travel. Letting him access twitter to talk to other weather folks might be a lot of fun.

CNN also has a ton of programs for the kids on the weather channel page.

How about a gift certificate good for a tour of the local weather station (this could be a TV/radio meteorologist, a college or university's weather department, or something to do with a national park or forest)? Check with the station/park/school first and see if they do tours. You could include a best friend along for the day, then a stop at the Dairy Queen for a blizzard!

My 10yob is obsessed with weather too and I'm looking for ideas. I just bought him Weather: The Ultimate Book of Meteorological Events. It had really good reviews. I bought it from a seller off Amazon because even paying $4 shipping others can sell the book new for half what Amazon is selling. I'm in the market for other ideas though!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00375LMKW/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

You can get weather station kits to build with books on identifying weather patterns.

I'd also call your local weather station and ask to get a "field trip" set up so he can meet the meteorologist. We did that once in school and it was fantastic. This guy not only talked about broadcasting weather reports and predictions, but the entire science of it, how the NOAA emergency message system worked, etc.

I was a National Weather Service volunteer tornado spotter (along with my paternal uncle and cousin) during my late teens and early college years. It was a tremendous time in my life though my parents felt a bit differently about it. As they watched reports and tried to decide if it was time to head to the basement, I drove a Dodge Omni around the county chasing funnel clouds and reporting in on a CB...spent more than a few nights inside culverts riding out a bad one when it changed direction. Never had anything happen to dad's Dodge Omni though! :D Good little car!!!:auto:

He's only ten. You still have a few years before you have to commence nail biting.

Faith