Menu

Why am I permanently grumpy?

Vitamin D? it makes a difference for me. Exercise too. Hormones. Stress. Sugar. All factors.

Drink coffee and wine in moderation. :D They do seriously boost my mood. YMMV

Consider your choices too-attitude, music, books, tv shows, movies, webpages: are you surrounding yourself with things that feed your mood? Edit that-you ARE surrounding yourself with things that feed your mood. Make sure they're the right things.

Ok, so I know it's multifactorial. And I know that I'm probably doing a lot of the things that could cause this. But I'm so grumpy and overwhelmed it's like I can't help myself. I NEED that chocloate bar - kwim?! So where do I find the willpower and motivation to change?

You SOUND grumpy! :D

Honestly, I don't know what makes you tick. What I do know is what will work for me, which is why I mentioned the things above. When I feel myself drifting off into grumpiness I will watch a youtube that makes me laugh, or read a blog that has a good attitude or sense of humor. That will sometimes let me lighten up enough to take my Vit D supplements and that will make me feel good enough to get outside and take a walk or play with the dog.

Wash down your Vit D with that chocolate bar-go outside to eat that chocolate bar, eat it while watching a standup comic on youtube.

Does your chocolate help? then eat it! are you grumpy b/c you aren't letting yourself do the thing that will help? A bar of chocolate isn't going to kill you and it might help get you going down the right road. enjoy it free and clear and use the boost that it gives you to do something else good for yourself.

:grouphug:

I'm in the same boat. They say exercise is a huge factor.

I've had a plan in place but I've yet to fully implement it. Here's what I want to do.

-Drink more water

-Exercise 30 minutes every day

-Ditch Pepsi

-Take my B & D vitamins

-Use my cpap every night

-Eat more fruit/vegetables

I think all these things are doable but I'm having trouble getting started.

ETA: I'm definitely ruled by my hormones so I know that's a factor for me. I recently had blood work done and am scheduled to go to the gynecologist on the 30th to see if there's something they can do. I think a visit to the doctor may help you discover a solution.

Edited by Trresh

Here is what works for me:

Have a Red Bull every morning for the B vitamins and taurine. Have a few vitamin D drops in a cup of water each day. Eat a little chocolate in the afternoon. Occasionally read books about Buddhism, esp the parts about practicing mindfulness, equanimity and acceptance. Frequently say to self, "all things arise, exist, and fall away." Eat green salads. Pet the dogs. Vacuum up annoying fluffy things. These are the things that help me the most.

You should ask your Dr.

Usually they have a few good things to try, perhaps vitamins, diet, etc. and will not just immediately say take this pill...

I've been there, seriously irritable ALL THE TIME! Overstressed, grumpy, just feeling not me.

I didn't have a detectably low hormone level, but 3-4 months of BC pill put me back to rights.

I was able to then drop the pill & everything was normal again.

Edited by lcelmer

You should ask your Dr.

Usually they have a few good things to try, perhaps vitamins, diet, etc. and will not just immediately say take this pill...

That's the problem. Most experiences I hear with doctors is that they DO say just take this pill - usually an antidepressant - instead of figuring out the root cause.

It sounds like you've lost your mirth.

The causes to this malady are as numerous as the stars in a desert sky on a moonless night and deeply idiosyncratic.

The resolution: A change of scene, a change of routine, watch a funny movie, take a giant step outside your mind and unburden yourself in a steaming hot bath, or get your blood moving and take the dog for a walk. Mental funks are in fact no laughing matter for you or the loved ones around you. To wallow in chocolate, really my first and favorite remedy to a blue funk, may not always work, plus it adds extra pound which of course leads to more funky feelings. Sleep does wonders. Crying does wonders too. But really what works for me is doing something novel, like learning how to spin on ice skates; it takes my mind off me so I can focus on something else. My most recent object of focus that doesn't involve ice skates is wondering at Steve Jobs's parting words. "Wow!" What did he see? Life is short. How did he get to WOW?

I don't think it's menopausal (I'm only 32), but over the past year I have had significantly worse PMT lasting 2 weeks. Nasty! Perhaps my progesterone does need checking.

We have had an extremely stressful year since May (I recently told my husband that it has been the hardest time of my life - which is saying something). I have been feeling anxious too.

I am not naturally grumpy or anxious, this is definitely new. I feel like I have lost my va-va-voom.

Try a chiro for the pms, and eat dates instead of chocolate whenever possible. Look up serotonin deficiency and try to include some more of the foods that contain the precursors. First thing in the morning, get up, have some juice then immediately set to work cooking a lower carb and higher protein breakfast. Even making porridge out of red lentils will work and probably won't cost more than whatever you eat now. The movement required to cook will get your metabolism ticking over.

Rosie

:bigear: and :grouphug:

This is where I am at too. I have been walking more and trying to eat better. I am also taking some supplements. I still get set off by the smallest things...and Iris, interesting that you mentioned mirth, I feel like I have lost my sense of humor.