Menu

If you think your Turkey is a problem!

So, here in India we do get very expensive imported frozen butterball turkeys. However a friend of mine decided to be a bit more "local" this year. Using a contact, she called "a guy" who sources turkey. Remember, people in India don't really eat turkey all that much. I have seen some walking around but I have never been served turkey or seen it on a menu. Anyways, she orders the turkey and it arrives....with head and claws still attached!! She calls the guys and tells him he needs to do something and he tells her he already sent her only half the turkey! She can't see anything missing. She only has an OTC (like a small countertop oven) to cook it in and her husband has insisted that even if she found a way to remove the extra parts...there was NO way he was going to eat it!! Long story short...they have reservations for Thanksgiving dinner!!

So, here in India we do get very expensive imported frozen butterball turkeys. However a friend of mine decided to be a bit more "local" this year. Using a contact, she called "a guy" who sources turkey. Remember, people in India don't really eat turkey all that much. I have seen some walking around but I have never been served turkey or seen it on a menu. Anyways, she orders the turkey and it arrives....with head and claws still attached!! She calls the guys and tells him he needs to do something and he tells her he already sent her only half the turkey! She can't see anything missing. She only has an OTC (like a small countertop oven) to cook it in and her husband has insisted that even if she found a way to remove the extra parts...there was NO way he was going to eat it!! Long story short...they have reservations for Thanksgiving dinner!!

Have Mercy! Only HALF the turkey? :tongue_smilie:

I have no issue w/the idea of raising poultry for food, but lean heavily in favour of sending them out for processing :lol:

:iagree: I have the "raising chickens and stocking the freezer" badge. I'm good. My tip for anyone raising chickens is always the same: DO NOT raise a chicken with black feathers if you plan to enjoy it for dinner. Unless you like skinless chicken.

Here's my annual unprocessed turkey story: (I copied and pasted it from last year's post.)

Should I tell you the story of the time when I helped to cook a "real" turkey - the kind that was fresh butchered? It was back when my brothers were hippies trying to live off the land. We were given a turkey in exchange for some manual labor. My brother killed it and then handed it to my sil and I. We plucked and plucked that thing but could not get out the pin feathers. Then we had to reach in and actually get out the innards which were definitely not in little bags. . . Then we had another go at those pin feathers. When we couldn't for the life of us get them out, we decided to cook it in the wood fired oven. The darn turkey (because of the pin feathers) caught on fire! We dumped a whole box of baking soda on the turkey before we got the fire out. Then we kept cooking it, and just brushed off the soot, ashy baking soda and ate the darn thing! Thank God for Butterball!

Here's my annual unprocessed turkey story: (I copied and pasted it from last year's post.)

Should I tell you the story of the time when I helped to cook a "real" turkey - the kind that was fresh butchered? It was back when my brothers were hippies trying to live off the land. We were given a turkey in exchange for some manual labor. My brother killed it and then handed it to my sil and I. We plucked and plucked that thing but could not get out the pin feathers. Then we had to reach in and actually get out the innards which were definitely not in little bags. . . Then we had another go at those pin feathers. When we couldn't for the life of us get them out, we decided to cook it in the wood fired oven. The darn turkey (because of the pin feathers) caught on fire! We dumped a whole box of baking soda on the turkey before we got the fire out. Then we kept cooking it, and just brushed off the soot, ashy baking soda and ate the darn thing! Thank God for Butterball!

I just spit out my coffee! As I am on the boards looking for turkey cooking tips I find this:lol::lol::lol: Mine is definately dead (thank goodness!) I bought 4 turkeys from the Hutterites (Sort of like Amish but with vehicles, for those who aren't familiar) that are no hormones and supposedly organic. We are frying 2 and I am baking/roasting one and one extra for the freezer.