Menu

Anyone else bailing during the holidays?

We're bailing on Thanksgiving. Dh is working in another city, flying back home every weekend, and he's asked for an extremely low key holiday. We plan on hitting a local restaurant than perhaps taking the kids to the Muppets. I think dh and I are more excited about the Muppets movie than the kids.

It's just the six of us and we are bailing on Thanksgiving. The day will be spent flying kites and bike riding at the beach. In the afternoon we are eating steak, grilled veggies, sweet potatoes, and apple pie. The evening will be family movie night.

It doesn't get much easier than that - and for this I am very thankful.

MIL will NOT allow a bail on Thanksgiving. It will be here at my house since inlaw's loft is not "big enough". That means I get to do the turkey. The menu looks as if we are feeding 30, not 6.

Now for Christmas... my inlaws are not in town. We are bailing and heading to a family ranch in the mountains with horse sleigh rides, snow tubing hills, a big fireplace and a restaurant that serves a beautiful Christmas dinner just feet from the condo door. This is our Christmas gift to our family... family time for our little family (and the dog gets to come, too)!!

Well, my extended family always has different ideas of how to do things year by year. And it's an opt-in policy, so no guilt if anyone doesn't want to get together.

This year, it went a bit further. Everyone threw up their hands over Thanksgiving, and no one is getting together. It just came along too fast for everyone. (We're all getting older, and most of the others are adjusting to children in college and such schedule changes). So, we're painting and wallpapering the first floor of our home this week, and going out to lunch on Thursday as a foursome. :)

However, the Christmas and New Year's celebrations are looking extra-good, as we've already started planning who's sleeping where and what we're cooking. ;)

I bailed on huge, stressful holiday blowouts a couple of years ago. It's been blissful.

I plan to precook some sides and brine the turkey today. Tomorrow, I'm going to shove the turkey in the oven and paint the rest of my laundry room.

Christmas will largely be the same. SO much better.

Now for Christmas... my inlaws are not in town. We are bailing and heading to a family ranch in the mountains with horse sleigh rides, snow tubing hills, a big fireplace and a restaurant that serves a beautiful Christmas dinner just feet from the condo door. This is our Christmas gift to our family... family time for our little family (and the dog gets to come, too)!!

Love that! :D

MIL will NOT allow a bail on Thanksgiving. It will be here at my house since inlaw's loft is not "big enough". That means I get to do the turkey. The menu looks as if we are feeding 30, not 6.

I want to live your Christmas. Sounds perfect!

We are celebrating Thanksgiving with friends.

But, I refuse to cook big meals on Christmas day. We order Chinese food on Christmas Eve and eat leftovers the next day.

And, the last several years we have flown out to go on a ski vacation with my family the day after Christmas - which means that I was packing and trying to get ready on Christmas day. This year I told my dad that it was just too much.

So, no skiing for us, but I think we will be happier people.

My husband is a pastor - Christmas is already filled with more craziness than I can handle!! :lol:

Hey Cindie,

I'm not skipping Thanksgiving, because I love the meal, but I AM skipping Christmas.

:lol::lol::lol:

Love, your (Jewish) friend,

Nance

:lol: Well, I'm skipping Christmas, too! We started that a few years ago. The frenzy was just not me. This year our local Dollar Store had Christmas Decorations up the week before Halloween!! :glare: I went in there to get Halloween decorations for our church's party and I couldn't believe half the store was set up for Christmas. :ack2:

We were driving to violin lessons yesterday and my oldest looked around at all the decorations all over the street and said, "Mom, did we miss Thanksgiving? I thought we were skipping town and going to the beach. Did you forget?" :lol: I told her people were just early. A great time for a lesson on commercialization!

A few years back we spent Thanksgiving at the Great Wolf Lodge. It was fun! We did it because we couldn't be in our house due to some flooding problems. Everyother woman I met at the pool was talking about how great it was to not be with her MIL.

This year I will get 2 of my kids out of the house in the morning (Arthur Christmas? Muppets?) while dh works on our kitchen which was damaged in another flood 1.5 years ago. Then we'll go to visit my brother in the evening.

It will just be my dh, me and our 6 children. Dh is going to deploy soon, so we're going to do a sort of combined Thanksgiving and Christmas this year so that dh can be involved in Christmas. We'll have the kids open their presents from us to them, put up the tree, watch Polar Express and eat a small Thanksgiving meal. No travel! :001_smile:

Not skipping it, but scaled WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY back. Just the five of us for dinner and dd31 and her dh making it 7, but she is on an incredibly restricted diet so they will bring their meal.

Simple meal, grand-daughters going home tomorrow a.m., we will all need time to de-compress b/c it has been exhausting with them here -- the amount of bickering between the twins and the grand-daughters was unprecendented and I wish NEVER to experience THAT again.

I am seriously going to speak to dh about our going away the day after Christmas and staying away till after New Year's Day. We have done that before and I feel like dh and I need it.

For the first time in my LIFE I am bailing on the holidays!!!

I feel so naughty, and SO FREE :tongue_smilie:!!!

I'm actually looking forward to tomorrow. We'll have a nice meal and watch some movies and have a good time. No pervs, no drunks, no raving insane people! :lol:

And this is stictly because of my particular situation, when things get to a certain point it's just time to give up and distance yourself. The past two holiday seasons have been an absolute nightmare and I finally had to admit that it couldn't be any worse to stay home. Now I am giddy thinking we might actually have a good time for once, which feels nice.

You are making me wish I lived in Colorado! Sounds perfect!

I almost got away with it! We were going to have a nice family dinner, just DH, me and our 2 youngest. We weren't going to have anything traditional, just chicken and potatoes pretty much. But then my mom decided she would rather come to my house than go to her mom's house. And all of a sudden I'm planning a semi-Thanksgiving meal. Thank goodness she and my stepdad eat a diabetic diet so they don't want all the fancy traditions either. I did buy a ham and mom is bringing stuffing. Those are the only 2 menu changes. But man, I was so close! And now I have to CLEAN too! :tongue_smilie:

We're without my husband this year, so sort of skipping. It will just be the kids and I. I don't dare invite my parents to come as they'd pick at the kids mercilessly without my husband here to divert their attention, then I'd get mad, yada, yada.... So we're alone. At least it is restful - hope you have a restful time, too!

For the first time in my LIFE I am bailing on the holidays!!!

I feel so naughty, and SO FREE :tongue_smilie:!!!

I'm actually looking forward to tomorrow. We'll have a nice meal and watch some movies and have a good time. No pervs, no drunks, no raving insane people! :lol:

And this is stictly because of my particular situation, when things get to a certain point it's just time to give up and distance yourself. The past two holiday seasons have been an absolute nightmare and I finally had to admit that it couldn't be any worse to stay home. Now I am giddy thinking we might actually have a good time for once, which feels nice.

I was just saying to my husband earlier how I am prepping so much more, yet have no stress. And then I realized: no sense of impending doom. No being forced to socialize with the bigots, whackos and drunks. Yay!

We don't have much to bail from around here. Our families are many states away, and it's almost pointless to make a big meal for just us. Sometimes we have thanksgiving dinner with friends, sometimes we go out, and sometimes we stay home and watch movies. However, this year we're going to the NC mountains from Thursday-Saturday to cut down our Christmas tree. We're also going to visit Linville Caverns while we're there. Our friend's parents live on the route there, so we've been invited to stop and have Thanksgiving dinner (lunch) at their house. My Thanksgiving preparations have included making a watergate salad to take over there and putting a glaze on a spiral-sliced ham (for sandwiches for our trip and meals when we get home).

We're not skipping Thanksgiving, but keeping it very low key & stress free. Dh's parents decided to come over for the weekend and we are going to have a simple turkey dinner, and kick back. But for Christmas, Dh & I are looking to see if our budget will allow us to run away somewhere for a few days (haven't had a vacation in almost 5 years! :eek:)