Menu

I'm attempting sweet potato casserole for the first time. How many sweet potatoes

:lol::lol::lol:

Funny, Mariann, but not very helpful!

:lol::lol::lol:

Thank you -- I am fairly certain it is my job to keep everyone happy while they are in the kitchen.

If you want another laugh, ask me about the first time DD (who is now 32) was going to make sweet potato casserole to being to her fiance's house (this was 13 years ago) -- it has become a legendary Thanksgiving story in our family.

Depends on the size of your potatoes.

I selected some of the larger ones from the pile in the produce section. That's clear as mud, isn't it? :D

I know if I cut smaller cubes, I'll need more potato. When I look at the raw potato and the glass measuring cup, I'm having trouble estimating how many I need to prepare.

I really should have asked Dad's wife to bring the casserole again this year. :001_unsure:

Thank you -- I am fairly certain it is my job to keep everyone happy while they are in the kitchen.

If you want another laugh, ask me about the first time DD (who is now 32) was going to make sweet potato casserole to being to her fiance's house (this was 13 years ago) -- it has become a legendary Thanksgiving story in our family.

When you have the time to post it, I'd love to read it. I'm just surfing around for recipes right now . . . Hopefully I have all the ingredients I'll need!

I generally make mine this way:

probably 4-6 yams

Boil Yams (not sweet pots) until fork poke tender.

Let cool to touch, then scrape off the skin with your fingers

Cut into chunks (usually 8ths--about 3-4in long by 1-2 in thick)

Place in 13x9 pyrex dish

place cubed butter all around

generously apply brown sugar

add juice from small jar of marichino cherries (and 1/2 of cherries)

add about 1/2 cup of pecans (which I hate but DH loves)

Bake in med oven til bubbly and gooey, then add marshmallows til browned

Take insulin.

eat

do the preparing the day before and just pop in the overn on T-day.

Lara

I selected some of the larger ones from the pile in the produce section. That's clear as mud, isn't it? :D

I know if I cut smaller cubes, I'll need more potato. When I look at the raw potato and the glass measuring cup, I'm having trouble estimating how many I need to prepare.

I really should have asked Dad's wife to bring the casserole again this year. :001_unsure:

I think you are stressing over this a little too much. If you have extras, toss them in olive oil, let them sit with a little sea salt sprinkled on them for about 30 minutes, then spread them on a cookie sheet, bake at 400 for about 45 minutes, and you have another side dish - or stick toothpicks in them and they become starters.

Take a deep breath.

If you will be mashing the sweet potatoes it doesn't really matter what size you cut the cubes into. The smaller they are the faster they cook. I'd say apx 1 potato = 1-1.5 cups diced but it depends on the size of the potato. Plus if you are mashing them and then putting them into a dish to bake you can end up with extras and you just get more casserole.

DD who is now 32 (Stacey) was about 20 or 21 at the time and she was going to make the Williamsburg Cookbook recipe for Sweet Potato Casserole. I had been making it for years, and I told her to just ask me and I would tell her what to do -- she was home from college for the holiday.

It's the daybefore Thanksgiving -- Stacey wants to get the potatoes started - and she grabs a potato peeler.

So, I tell her that the potatoes don't have to be peeled, because after they are cooked, the skins will come right off. This will save time, I explain. A little cold water, and the skins are off and you are onto the next part of the recipe.

I tell her to put about 15 sweet potatoes in a stock pot (her fiance's family's T-day crowd was rather large), make sure the potatoes are covered with water and put the lid on the pot.

I proceed to tell her that when the potatoes are finished, and the skins are off, she should use the hand mixer, and get everything whipped up. I make her a list of what she is to add.

I think that dh and I went out - we didn't have the little ones yet -- we came home, went to bed.

Thanksgiving morning, Stacey goes up to the kitchen (we lived at the beach and the house was upside down -- kitchen/living room/dining room were up and bedrooms were down). She is calling me, telling me that something is wrong. I get up and go upstairs and she is staring at the potatoes in the stock pot - which she has put in the sink.

'The skin won't come off the potatoes,' she says.

'That's ridiculous,' I answer. 'You put the potatoes in the pot, cover them with water, let them boil for about 45 minutes, turn off the heat, and let them sit over night. In the morning, the skins come off.'

She looks at me. :blink: 'They have to boil?' she asks.

I replied: 'You thought they only had to sit in a pot of water overnight and the skins would come off and they would be cooked?'

'Yes,' she said.

I went back to bed. :leaving:

Edited by MariannNOVA

DD who is now 32 (Stacey) was about 20 or 21 at the time and she was going to make the Williamsburg Cookbook recipe for Sweet Potato Casserole. I had been making it for years, and I told her to just ask me and I would tell her what to do -- she was home from college for the holiday.

. . .

I replied: 'You thought they only had to sit in a pot of water overnight and the skins would come off and they would be cooked?'

'Yes,' she said.

:lol::lol:Mariann! Oh, my. That sounds EXACTLY like something my dd would do! I cannot leave the room when I'm giving instructions because there's certain to be something she'll misunderstand.

Did she ever finish the casserole? Did her future in-laws hear the story?

What a fun memory! :lol:

It's the daybefore Thanksgiving -- Stacey wants to get the potatoes started - and she grabs a potato peeler.

So, I tell her that the potatoes don't have to be peeled, because after they are cooked, the skins will come right off. This will save time, I explain. A little cold water, and the skins are off and you are onto the next part of the recipe.

I tell her to put about 15 sweet potatoes in a stock pot (her fiance's family's T-day crowd was rather large), make sure the potatoes are covered with water and put the lid on the pot.

I proceed to tell her that when the potatoes are finished, and the skins are off, she should use the hand mixer, and get everything whipped up. I make her a list of what she is to add.

I think that dh and I went out - we didn't have the little ones yet -- we came home, went to bed.

Thanksgiving morning, Stacey goes up to the kitchen (we lived at the beach and the house was upside down -- kitchen/living room/dining room were up and bedrooms were down). She is calling me, telling me that something is wrong. I get up and go upstairs and she is staring at the potatoes in the stock pot - which she has put in the sink.

'The skin won't come off the potatoes,' she says.

'That's ridiculous,' I answer. 'You put the potatoes in the pot, cover them with water, let them boil for about 45 minutes, turn off the heat, and let them sit over night. In the morning, the skins come off.'

She looks at me. :blink: 'They have to boil?' she asks.

'Yes,' she said.

:rofl: Awesome!

If you're making the one on allrecipes.com that one looks really sweet to me. My aunt makes one that is less sweet. I decided to split the difference. I also wonder if that 4 c. on that recipe was sort of an error in her understanding of the recipe she started with, since all the other recipes I've looked at (admittedly not many) have said 4 sweet potatoes. In any case, here's what I did today, a happy perversion/blending of that too sweet recipe and my aunt's.

4 sweet potatoes--bake, skin, throw in

1/4 c. brown sugar

2 eggs

1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 c. butter

1/2 c. cream (who wants milk when you can have cream? :) )

1/2 tsp. vanilla

cinnamon, nutmeg

Praline Topping

1 c. pecan halves (or chopped, doesn't matter)

1/4 c. brown sugar

4 T melted butter

cinnamon

Wish I had mixed the brown sugar and butter before pouring it over the nuts. I just crumbled it all the way my aunt says, and I don't think it's perfect. Anyways, this puffed up and got SO gorgeous. If you want, I'll taste it, hehe, but people will wonder what mouse got into it. :)

You really don't need a recipe.

I bake 6-8 sweet potatoes in foil until tender (about 2 hours at 350). Then cool and scoop out the insides to a bowl. Add one stick of butter, about 1/2 c brown sugar, about 1 TBSP of pumpkin pie spice, one 20oz can of crushed pineapple. Mash and mix. Top with a generous sprinkle of brown sugar and bake at 350 for about 40 minutes until hot and bubbly. At the last minute top with marshmallows and brown in a hot oven.

My family would revolt if I made sweet potatoes any other way!

You really don't need a recipe.

I bake 6-8 sweet potatoes in foil until tender (about 2 hours at 350). Then cool and scoop out the insides to a bowl. Add one stick of butter, about 1/2 c brown sugar, about 1 TBSP of pumpkin pie spice, one 20oz can of crushed pineapple. Mash and mix. Top with a generous sprinkle of brown sugar and bake at 350 for about 40 minutes until hot and bubbly. At the last minute top with marshmallows and brown in a hot oven.

My family would revolt if I made sweet potatoes any other way!

Pineapples and marshmallows in sweet potato casserole? Hmmm, do I sense another controversy brewing? :tongue_smilie:

Pineapples and marshmallows in sweet potato casserole? Hmmm, do I sense another controversy brewing? :tongue_smilie:

Grrrrrllll, where you from?

:lol: Yes, marshmallows are a must and the pineapple is just for a twist of flavor, but you hardly taste it. Keeps it from being too dense and then you don't add as much sugar as some recipes.

I once put raisins in it. That was not a good year. My family was like :svengo::willy_nilly: and I was all :nopity:

Grrrrrllll, where you from?

:lol: Yes, marshmallows are a must and the pineapple is just for a twist of flavor, but you hardly taste it. Keeps it from being too dense and then you don't add as much sugar as some recipes.

I once put raisins in it. That was not a good year. My family was like :svengo::willy_nilly: and I was all :nopity:

:lol::lol::lol: I think my family would revolt at raisins!

I'm from Alabama, though my family is from central Florida and I live there now as well, so that might be an influence. The marshmallows I'm familiar with, though of course I know a proper sweet potato casserole has a pecan brown sugar topping. The fruit in the casserole...um, to each their own I suppose! ;)

Mine does have rather a lot of sugar. Ds likes to save it for his dessert, lol.