Menu

Classical Greek flash card recommendations?

We're looking for flashcards for Classical Greek...

How do people normally do this? the Greek word on the front and then on the back is how it would be written with our alphabet or is there just the definition?

I found these on Amazon....but can't see what they are like..

Does anyone have any other suggestions or experience?

I've searched old threads but they are mostly about Greek roots and I saw that someone had made their own cards, but I don't think I'm up for that...

Thanks!

Joan

Greek word on the front, the translation / definition on the back. I do not recommend getting into the habit of transliterating into the Latin alphabet.

I am not very fond of flashcards myself because I am lazy and kids seem to have inherited that, so they write vocabulary into a regular notebook with two columns - Greek, translation - and then they can quickly quiz themselves by covering the translation column.

I do not suggest buying flashcards but making your own based on vocabulary you encounter in whatever text you use - there is quite some subtle learning happening in the *process* of writing down the vocabulary you wish to learn *yourself*.

… I do not suggest buying flashcards but making your own based on vocabulary you encounter in whatever text you use - there is quite some subtle learning happening in the *process* of writing down the vocabulary you wish to learn *yourself*.

:iagree:

I agree with the idea of making them. I've found that if the student makes their cards, they will actually learn as part of that process not just using the cards.

However, there are also now, lot's of free sites and apps for making electronic flash cards. Some keep track of whether you are getting a card right and bring it back to you more or less often depending on how you are doing.

We are using some from www.quizlet.com. They have cards linked to Athenaze which is the text we are using this year. They may have cards for other texts.

Wow! I had looked on that site the other day, but it must not have been working because when I'd clicked on Greek, it said something about not being available or something. But now I see it is all there. Amazing.

I take the comments to heart about the value of making our own (thank you ladies for keeping me on the higher path)...and hope to do that when the energy level goes up...:)...but for now, this should be a big help...

Thanks!

Joan