Menu

Can you solve this easy mental math problem?

More importantly, I am looking for the steps--every single, tiny step--in solving this problem. I want to see how a "math brain" versus a "non-math brain" thinks, or if there is even a difference. Tell me if you stared off into space, if you saw the numbers written down. Where did your eyes go? What did you see in your mind, if anything? What did you do with the numbers to solve the problem?

So, please don't bias yourself by reading others' answers before attempting to solve on your own. It is a very easy problem, I promise! No pencil or paper, though. Just your own brain. Here goes: multiply forty-seven by six

Thanks. :001_smile:

I looked at a blank part of the computer screen and visualized the numbers 40 X 6 = 240, + 7 x 6 = 42; add that to 240 = 282.

I am by no means a math person, but I do very well with mental math. I used to sit on our preschool board, and I entertained myself by mentally multiply the figures more quickly than the director could use a calculator.

I consider myself a puzzle person, nothing spectacular. I visualize everything. I'm terrible at remembering exactly what was said, but I'm great at remembering my interpretation of it. That doesn't always go over well with my family, lol.

I saw 40 and 6 and a 240 flew up and to the left. Then I saw 7 and 6 and a 42 flew up to the right. Honestly, it tried to fly up before the 240 got there, but I made it wait its turn. Then the numbers came together in the middle with the 42 sliding over the 240 and the numbers changed accordingly. Somehow numbers just smoosh together and tell me what they are. After that I often double check to see if they are right. The first method takes less effort, but I don't trust it, even though I should. :)

I saw that you already had 6 pages of responses and figured you had enough data. ;)

Then my curiosity got the best of me, so I read the problem...

I have a math mind. I multiplied 6x7 and got 42, mentally wrote the 2 down and put the 4 into memory. Then I multiplied 6 x4 and got 24, added the 4 and got 28. Then I put them all together to get 282.

I visualized a piece of paper with the following;

x6

---

?

Then I worked through each step mentally as I would if it were on paper, ending with the following visual: (though in my head the little 4 on the top was smaller than the other numbers)

x6

---

ETA: not very mathy

This is exactly what I do.

I stare off into space, looking up and to the left. I write it in my head as

x6

and then I envision it being written out like I would on a piece of paper.

I would say I do not have a "math" brain. I always did well in math in school but never found it natural.

I get 282.

I can get there two ways. The first way is yes, to visualize the number 47, visualize the number 6, and multiply 6 * 7 (answer: 42), carry the 4, multiply 6 *4 (answer: 24), plus the carried 4 = 28; "write" that down and remember there's a 2 down there from the 42....answer, 282.

the other way I can do it is to think 6 * 50 = 300; 47 is 3 less than 50, so then I do 6*3 is 18, oh, that's roughly 20, so 20 less than 300 is 280, plus back the 2 that I used because I really need 18 less than 300, not 20 less than 300 and that's 282.

While I'm thinking through that, yes, I stare off into space at a point on the wall kind of to the right and above where eye level is. Probably you'd see me, in either case, tracking with my eyes as though I was working out on a chalkboard; I think my eyes follow the movements/working of the problem that I'm envisioning in my head, if that makes sense.

(oh, I could do it 45 * 6 too and then plus the 12 that I have from 2 * 6, the leftover 2s from 47 -45...)(but figuring out 45*6 would take longer, for me.....)

50 x 6 = 300 minus 3 x6 = 18 = 282 Did not visualize numbers, probably mumbled names of the numbers deep in my brain. I looked at the words on the problem. On my second go I did 40 x 6 and then added 6x7...I often do mental problems 2 different ways to confirm my answers. Not a math brain as a student. I learned these methods estimating prices at the grocery store!

More importantly, I am looking for the steps--every single, tiny step--in solving this problem. I want to see how a "math brain" versus a "non-math brain" thinks, or if there is even a difference. Tell me if you stared off into space, if you saw the numbers written down. Where did your eyes go? What did you see in your mind, if anything? What did you do with the numbers to solve the problem?

So, please don't bias yourself by reading others' answers before attempting to solve on your own. It is a very easy problem, I promise! No pencil or paper, though. Just your own brain. Here goes: multiply forty-seven by six

multiplied 40 by 6, got 240, multiplied 7 by 6, got 42, put them together, got 282

I read the problem a couple of times. I don't think my coffee has kicked in yet, because I had trouble converting the words "forty-seven" into numbers. But once I visualized "47" (I thought of the numbers sort of floating in front of, and slightly to the left side of, the monitor), then I focused on the 4 and thought "times 6, 240". Then moved my eyes slightly to mentally shift focus: "7 times 6, 42."

Then I made the silly number "two hundred forty, forty-two" and muttered that to myself, to lock it in short-term memory. I usually do mental math with a 2-digit ones column, so I can save the combining step to last. Finally converted it to 282, which I think came up as a visual impression, too -- but it all goes so fast, that I'm not sure.

I don't actually write the problem in the air, but there is some sort of visualized focus point for my calculation. I can't imagine doing the pencil-and-paper method (starting with the ones column and carrying) in my mind, however, as that would be too complicated and I'd lose the train of thought.

Edited by letsplaymath

50x6-3x6=

100X3-18=

300-18=

300-20+2=

ETA - done while staring into space picturing a sort of number-line-ish type thing that doesn't really have form, but helps me see how far the problem numbers are from nice happy round numbers.

Edited by g.beth13

I calculated 40 x 6 = 240 and 7 x 6 = 42, then added them together to get 282. I thought it in words in my head; I didn't visualize the numbers or anything. FWIW, I was an A math student and I like math.

Edited by LizzyBee

I had to look away from the computer -- reading the problem online while thinking got me distracted -- I closed my eyes and saw the problem in my mind on a whiteboard. Did the calculations like I was writing on the whiteboard. Carried the 4 to the next column before multiplying the second set of numbers too. "Wrote" the answer also. :D

Hubby rattled off the logical way of rounding up the numbers. Multiplying them. Subtracting the difference. Got the same answer. He sees no need to visualize numbers in his mind. He was quicker. But Hubby says I got creativity points for using colored dry-erase markers in my answer. So there. ;)

Edited by tex-mex

You've gotten 86 replies over the past few days. May I ask why you asked this question? Are you doing a study? Just curious. :)

First my mind went blank. I quickly wondered which way might be the easiest way to complete the problem. After that, I multiplied 4x6 then added a zero. Then I multiplied 7x6 and added it to the first number. (I consider myself mathy, but spacey.)

I have a non-math brain.

I multiplied 7x6 got 42, held onto the 4 mentally. Multiplied 4x6 got 24+4 =28 and stuck the 2 back on the end for 282.

This is what I did too. I don't know if I have a math brain or not, as I stopped interacting with math in a meaningful way in grade 2.

47x6. I start with 4 times 6 - that's 20-something... 24 tens. And I think I need to turn my music down. 6x7. Well 7x7 is 49, 7 less is 42. 240 and 42 is 2 hundreds + 8 tens + 2 is 282.

I don't think I visualize anything. I can picture numbers, if I want, but it's more of a fact search - like a file cabinet. I never have liked 6x7 for some reason. Or 7x8...

And both my older boys have been reviewing place value, which comes up a lot in the Liping Ma book.... So I think that has really changed how I think about math.

Interesting exercise. I'll have to read some other responses now.

Non-math brain ;)

47 x 6

40 times six is 240.

7 times 6 is 42.

Add them together for 282.

Ha ha -- you DO seem to have enough answers, but it's an interesting thing to think about!

I am definitely a non-math person, but I'm still quite good at math and accurate.

I HAVE to visualize it though, or I can't do it. So, I stare off into space, convert the words into numbers, and set up the formula in the air where I can see it (:-). Then I multiply the 7 X 6, write down (in the air) the 2 and carry the 4 (and I have to visualize the 4 sitting up there), then multiply 4 X 6, and add the 4 I had carried.

If I do not "see" it, I absolutely cannot do it.