Menu

New Adult Student of Classical Education Seeks Advice

Hello,

I am fairly new to the idea of classical education. I first learned about the Trivium from a mentor of mine that attend Oxford for his doctorate in Theology. The more I read and learn about classical education, the more I feel cheated (both by myself and by the educational system I was raised in) out of my childhood learning. Not that I am bitter, just longing. Now I feel as though I am way behind. I am 32 years old with a busy life. I have two young children and a lovely wife and a full-time job and mortgage. But I am very much interested in advancing my education. Not necessarily through degrees, but more so through self-enlightenment. I would like to learn how to learn, how to think logically, argue properly, and mature in knowledge of God. Basically, to train my mind via the tenants of the Trivium. My hope is that someone can offer some guidance on how I can begin that journey. Are there books, CD or DVD series that beginning adults can pick up to start the process? Are there online courses, etc...? Any advice would be appreciated and well received.

post-39042-13535085787842_thumb.jpg

Are you familiar with Susan Wise Bauer's The Well-Educated Mind: A Guide to the Classical Education You Never Had? SWB is also the author of The Well-Trained Mind: A Guide to Classical Education at Home and the host of this board. The WEM is a roadmap to a Classical Education and will give you some good ideas to start your self education.

Regards,

Kareni

Are you familiar with Susan Wise Bauer's The Well-Educated Mind: A Guide to the Classical Education You Never Had? SWB is also the author of The Well-Trained Mind: A Guide to Classical Education at Home and the host of this board. The WEM is a roadmap to a Classical Education and will give you some good ideas to start your self education.

Regards,

Kareni

:iagree:

You might also consider DVD classes from Great Courses for subjects in which you're especially interested in advancing your education. But don't pay full price - all their courses go on sale at some point during the year.

Thank you both for the advice. I do have the book, recently purchased. Do you happen to know of any online courses where you can get feedback from teachers?

I happen to know of a Self Ed board where you could get feedback from a few hundred people with varying specialties on any question you could dream up. Most are quite familiar with the two books that have been recommended too. ;)

Rosie

I happen to know of a Self Ed board where you could get feedback from a few hundred people with varying specialties on any question you could dream up. Most are quite familiar with the two books that have been recommended too. ;)

Rosie

Yup, right here! JohnLacey, welcome to the boards. This self-ed/high school board is FULL of people who could answer just about anything you'd want to ask with regards to classical ed! Get familiar with how the search function works, read WTM/WEM, figure out what you want to start with, and then fire away with questions.

Also, check out Susan Wise Bauer's The Joy of Classical Education audio. It's available at her Peace Hill Press website. Along with some other gems. Many other gems.

I would start by identifying areas in your education with the largest "holes", because even the best/worst education will have strengths and weaknesses. If you're strong on math and science you might start by working your way through Mortimer Adler's Great Books list and using a high school level Latin program (check out the high school board for recommendations). When you're reading a book, Google it and read some literacy criticism on it to further your comprehension and insight. Go to a museum, write down the names of artists whose work you particularly enjoy, and look them up when you get home. Rabbit trails are your friends (mostly). Try Susan Wise Bower's world history books, and familiarize yourself with the general timeline of the world. After you've done that, raid your library's section on specific time periods you found especially interesting.

If you're strong in the liberal arts and weak in math and/or science, maybe try the Art of Problem Solving (AoPS) high school math programs, or for science read some of the great armchair science books like Hawking's, Feynman's, Darwin's, or a chemist's (my physics bias--and my own science education's weakness--is showing ;)). When you come across something you don't fully understand, look it up. After you've read some of those, you'll probably have some areas of interest to pursue individually.

Have fun! And don't be surprised if you find it hard to tear yourself away once you start.

• 4 weeks later...

I feel the same way you do and have started my own classical training (in addition to part-time homeschooling my fourth grader since second grade -- which, by the way, is a really fun way of getting a classical education!).

Anyway, I read SWB's book Well-Educated Mind and started following it, but felt it wasn't what I was looking for. So I bought the Adler book and started following that, but again it wasn't a perfect fit. Finally I found the series published in the mid-50s called Great Books of the Western World, which seems to fit my bill.

I'm following the series' 10-year plan and got a Kindle so I can download most of the books for free, thus saving hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars. The editorial board's suggested reading cycle is outstanding in my opinion. As I'm reading through the books and writing about what I've read (a la SWB's suggestion), I'm finding such connections and clarity of understanding, I can hardly wait to sit down and read every day. I also borrow books on tape from my library (may from the teaching company). I also read other books that interest me (like Jane Austen novels, which I adore and CS Lewis whom I also love). Finally, I also try to keep abreast of contemporary problems by reading magazines and newspapers (another fine suggestion of SWB's). At this early point in my re-education I'm quite satisfied with this curriculum.

Hi John,

As others have done, I would recommend that you start with The Well-Educated Mind. On your own. Just start reading and writing. I appreciate your temptation to sign up for a class. We are trained to do that. :001_smile: It's hard to shake the idea that we need an expert/a mentor/a teacher in order to do something new. But the fact of the matter is that the texts offer much. The books themselves are rich with insight. And the process of digging in and attempting this on your own carries its own reward. It's quite liberating.

If you begin and you still want some help, I can recommend the Teaching Company's recorded lectures.

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/greatcourses.aspx

Many libraries offer a slew of these titles. I personally like the DVD's. Never consider buying a course unless it is on sale. Every course goes on sale at least once a year and at 70% off. If your library doesn't have any, you can buy them risk-free. The Teaching Company offers a life-time money-back guarantee. You can return them at any point for a refund, so you are free to explore.

I would start with these three foundational courses and branch out from there:

Great Authors of the Western Literary Tradition, 2nd Edition

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/tgc/courses/course_detail.aspx?cid=2100

Foundations of Western Civilization

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/tgc/courses/course_detail.aspx?cid=370

Foundations of Western Civilization II

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/tgc/courses/course_detail.aspx?cid=8700

Have fun!

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

The more I read and learn about classical education, the more I feel cheated (both by myself and by the educational system I was raised in) out of my childhood learning. Not that I am bitter, just longing. Now I feel as though I am way behind.

Don't think that way. :) The path you've walked up until now has led you to classical education at a point in your life when you have the experience to really understand it's value and cherish the knowledge you'll gain from it. You've now got the drive to pursue it in a manner you may not have earlier.

• 4 months later...
Guest EduClasses14

Everyone learns differently, so there is no way to really teach you how to learn properly. As long as you are retaining the information, you should consider your learning a success. If you're looking for a place to further your education, take a look at my website, found here. It's meant to help potential students find the right program for them.