Menu

Someone talk to me about spelling, please!

oliveview

I am overwhelmed and don't know where to start. We are still working through ETC and I need to get an idea of where to go next. I am wanting to know what you have tried, what you have loved/hated? What would you do all over again or never and why? We really are set on almost everything else but I need to have some idea of where I am going with spelling. TIA.

We went from ETC 8 to Spelling Power and have been very pleased. My daughter is a very good natural speller. SP allows us only to work on words she doesn't already know how to spell and includes a minimum of what would be busywork for her. I also appreciate that it's one nonconsumable book that covers spelling up to adult level. The format makes it easy to add in specific words that might come up in other subjects as well.

All kids would benefit from a strong, organized phonics/rule based spelling curriculum, but some kids who are natural spellers can get by without it. And some programs are very workbook based and independent. Others require a few minutes of your time.

With my dd, who stuggled with spelling, we used Spell to Write and Read. We tried Sequential Spelling and Spelling Power and did not care for how the word lists were grouped-only created more confusion in my dd's spelling.

I think my ds, a natural speller, could use anything.

Is your dd a natural speller? Do you want an independent workbook approach? Are you looking for a stong phonics approach? Answers to those questions could help us help you.

We used Spelling Workout, and the books don't take long, but do add some tidbits about syllabilication, definitions, etc. Easily done in a few minutes per day.

I second this. My boys have done very well with spelling workout.:001_smile:

Well, I don't think I really know what I am looking for and that is my problem. I don't think I have natural spellers. I am such a terrible speller that this is a weak point for me. What are the advantages/disadvantages of a strong phonics spelling program? What kinds of spelling programs are there other than phonics? I'm sorry to sound so uninformed on this subject, but I really am and I just don't know where to start!!

Love Spelling Workout. With three children, I've used all but the last level in this series, which my upcoming 8th grader will complete next year. We tried Spelling Power, but that did not work for us. We like a workbook approach, instead of just spelling words. SW requires that the student think about the words instead of just spelling them (ie., student might do a crossword puzzle using the words and their meanings or at younger levels will sort words by ir, er, or, and ar). HTH.

Have you looked at All About Spelling? It's a strong phonics and rule based program. It's not independent for the child, but it only requires about 15 minutes per day. There's no daily prep. The only set up work is at the very beginning when you have to cut apart all the tiles and cards. It has review built into the program. I've recently switched to this after using a workbook program unsucessfully.

Well, I don't think I really know what I am looking for and that is my problem. I don't think I have natural spellers. I am such a terrible speller that this is a weak point for me. What are the advantages/disadvantages of a strong phonics spelling program? What kinds of spelling programs are there other than phonics? I'm sorry to sound so uninformed on this subject, but I really am and I just don't know where to start!!

Well, if you have a natural speller or a child who is visual to the point of a "photographic memory" I think you can pick any good workbook program and go (By all means make your life simple, give them spelling workout and let them go). But if you have more auditory learners or ones who are not natural spellers they need to have a method to approach which of all the various ways we have to spell all the various sounds we use in words.

This is where phonics and rule-based spelling come in. I use Spell to Write and Read for this. It takes a bit of effort to understand the program and implement and it is fairly Parent intensive. So look at it thoroughly before you decide. But it is very logical. You first learn ~70 phonograms (one for each letter of the alphabet plus other combinations... like "ou" "ph" "ch" "ei" etc). You also learn all the sounds that phonogram can make in the order of their likelihood. (i.e. "ou" has 4 sounds - I never knew that before) You use flash cards and it's amazing how quickly the kids get it. You can introduce 5 or so new ones each week until you know them all.

Then you begin dictating spelling lists to the child. It is very important that they learn to translate the sound in the word to the phonogram without seeing the word first. If more than one phonogram is possible you help them know which one to use. As you make your way through the lists (at whatever pace is comfortable - 1/week maybe), you will gradually start adding in applicable spelling rules. SWR also uses certain markings to help emphasize the phonograms and rules. (Did you know there are 5 reasons for a silent e?) You eventually drill the spelling rules with flash cards too, but this comes very easily because the child has heard you repeat them so many times as you explain the list words to them. Besides dictating the words each week, there are always enrichment activities to choose from (you aren't expected to do them all) for reinforcement.

It is a bit more work than handing them a workbook, but it was what we needed to do here. Hope I didn't make it more confusing than it already is!

I second All About Spelling. This is for a child who is not a natural speller - great reader, but not so good at spelling. We've tried (1)- having lists of words to memorize. Ds memorized them and then forgot them. (2)- Rod and Staff spelling - 2 workbooks pages and a list - ds memorized them and then forgot them (we lasted 3 weeks because I could see a whole year of memorizing lists and retaining nothing). (3) All About Spelling. It has weekly dictation based on what words the child should know so it gets retained! Also, if he makes a mistake in spelling, I remind him of the rule and he corrects his own mistake. It works and it's easy to implement.

Beth

< I don't think I have natural spellers. I am such a terrible speller that this is a weak point for me. What are the advantages/disadvantages of a strong phonics spelling program? What kinds of spelling programs are there other than phonics? <

Well, all spelling programs are phonics based, but I think some do a better job than others at helping someone who stuggles with spelling. For someone who has difficulty 'seeing' a word, most programs just become sight word lists. What I liked about Spell to Write and Read is that it explained why words are spelled like they are. Sometimes, if you understand the logic you can remember how to spell a word a little easier. I used to think that English made no sense, but now I know that there are only a few words that are truly illogical. Most words have a rule, a root or an odd phonogram that helps make sense of the word. You still have to remember how to spell it, but having a reason makes it easier.

I have heard that All About Spelling is similar to SWR and a little easier to use. I haven't see it so I can't really comment. Another program that I have researched but never seen is Phonetic Zoo. It's made by IEW. I love their writing program and I've heard Mr. Pudewa speak about his spelling program and I would have tried it if SWR wasn't working for us.

If you and your kids struggle with spelling I just don't see a workbook approach being successful for you. You really need to address your weaknesses and that usually doesn't happen without a little 'pain'.

I hope you find something that works for you.

Spelling keeps coming up in new threads. I already wrote this on another spelling thread, but I'll do it one more time because it worked very well for my three different spellers.

I have relaxed from the workbooks at this point.

We used Spelling Workout until my last child. He has some LD issues and couldn't do workbooks at one point, so I started going to a (free) website called Spelling City and plugged his words into a list. He can type them, play different games with them, and get tested on them. It has auditory component, so he hears the words, and types them.

We put on our Spelling Workout words at first, now we have relaxed and put in words that relate to what he is learning about. We do all other subjects, esp. words from lit he is reading. I think he learns the words faster, and something about the drudgery of writing them all out over and over has lifted.

His older siblings use it to put in their vocabulary lists.

We also take whatever words we have used for the week and do oral "fun quizzes" in the car. Yes, they actually think it is fun and ask for it.

I think oral component of spelling out loud is very helpful, too. Cross-training the brain, perhaps?

Spelling keeps coming up in new threads.

I know! I think I've read them all too, and I still can't decide. It seems like it is so individual to how the child learns and whether they are a natural speller, but this is one area it's hard to know until you've done it.

I think we're trying Spelling Workout for now, and then we'l tweak later if we need to. For some reason I am really drawn to Apples and Pears, but can't justify the expense of it until I know the SW I have already isn't working.

Thank you everyone so much for your thoughtful posts. I have looked at several examples and my thought is to go with AAS. My oldest is my biggest concern. He wants to understand "why" something is spelled the way that it is. I think this is going to help him. Phonics and reading has been an absolute struggle up until this point and I really think this might be the piece that we are missing to help it "make sense" in his very logical mind. 2nd ds just goes with the flow and I think might be a natural speller.

Again, thank you for all the thoughtful responses. I just don't know what I would do without this board!!