Menu

Dumb question: Does dairy-free = lactose-free?

I looked it up since we recently discovered dd is lactose intolerant:

Sodium lactate need not be restricted by someone avoiding milk or those with a milk allergy.[4][8] In general, lactates such as sodium, calcium, and potassium lactate are salts derived from the neutralization of lactic acid and most commercially used lactic acids are fermented from dairy-free products such as cornstarch, sugar, or tapioca.[9] However some lactic acid is fermented from dairy products such as whey[4] and lactose[9]. Whey is made of up 6.5% solids of which 4.8% is solid lactose.[10] Waste whey typically is used to produce lactic acid when the whey itself is produced as waste during the manufacture of certain dairy products.[11] As a result, such dairy-type lactic acid generally goes back into dairy products, such as ice cream and cream cheese,[9] rather than into non-dairy products. Moreover, although the lactic-acid starter culture to ferment corn or beets may contain milk,[4] sodium lactate does not contain milk protein and need not be restricted by someone avoiding milk or those with a milk allergy.[

Products labelled as containing lactose, cream, butter, cheese and cheese flavour, curd, milk, milk solids, milk powder and whey, as well as margarine containing milk solids, should be avoided. (Some cheeses may be safe; a dietician should be consulted.) Products containing lactic acid, lactalbumin, lactate and casein do not contain lactose.

I looked it up since we recently discovered dd is lactose intolerant:

Sodium lactate need not be restricted by someone avoiding milk or those with a milk allergy.[4][8] In general, lactates such as sodium, calcium, and potassium lactate are salts derived from the neutralization of lactic acid and most commercially used lactic acids are fermented from dairy-free products such as cornstarch, sugar, or tapioca.[9] However some lactic acid is fermented from dairy products such as whey[4] and lactose[9]. Whey is made of up 6.5% solids of which 4.8% is solid lactose.[10] Waste whey typically is used to produce lactic acid when the whey itself is produced as waste during the manufacture of certain dairy products.[11] As a result, such dairy-type lactic acid generally goes back into dairy products, such as ice cream and cream cheese,[9] rather than into non-dairy products. Moreover, although the lactic-acid starter culture to ferment corn or beets may contain milk,[4] sodium lactate does not contain milk protein and need not be restricted by someone avoiding milk or those with a milk allergy.[

Products labelled as containing lactose, cream, butter, cheese and cheese flavour, curd, milk, milk solids, milk powder and whey, as well as margarine containing milk solids, should be avoided. (Some cheeses may be safe; a dietician should be consulted.) Products containing lactic acid, lactalbumin, lactate and casein do not contain lactose.

So, how about lactic acid starter culture? I'm assuming safe as well since the lactic acid is? :bigear:

If it is dairy free, they are completely dairy free. No lactose or whey or casein. Two of my kids have milk sensitivities/allergies.

Thanks, I figured this, I just got confused when it came to the Sodium, Calcium, and Potassium lactate. :001_smile:

If it is dairy free, they are completely dairy free. No lactose or whey or casein. Two of my kids have milk sensitivities/allergies.

However, unless labeling laws have changed again in the past few years, some things can be labeled "non-dairy" yet still contain casein, as in the case of Cool-Whip or some non-dairy creamers.

OP, I'd call Butterball. You can't be the first person with this question, and perhaps you can get a definitive answer from a human.