Menu

She's on the TOP bunk!!!

Dmmetler

Not many people would understand why this is a triumph for an almost 7 yr old, but less than a year ago, the last time we were in a hotel that had the kid suite with the nice, built-in bunkbeds, DD absolutely refused to even try them. I don't know how much is sensory and how much is anxiety, but she's extremely nervous whenever her feet are off the ground. This year, it took less than a day before she was going up the thing and enjoying being up there, and while she does still call for a spotter when she climbs down, is handling the ladder well. I credit lucking into a gymnastics coach who is also an OT grad student, so DD's been getting OT for the price of rec gymnastics since January. (She's not severe enough for the local school district or our insurance to pay-prior to this, she'd only gotten a few sessions of OT for assessment reasons, which were valuable-but not enough).

She also managed climbing the rope ladders/bridge to get to the water slide, too-which would have been impossible a year ago.

That's awesome! You're not crazy thinking this. I forget what it's called, something like gravitational insecurity, but yes it's absolutely an OT thing. I've had some of it myself, so I can sympathize. That's so wonderful that you've found someone who can help her in an affordable way!