Menu

Celery and carrots

When I have celery, we cut it up right away, put it in a container of water (sometimes vertical, sometimes laying down) and put it on the snacking shelf in the fridge (when there's room for a snacking shelf--frig gets disorganized quickly around here!). It goes in a day or so.

I keep carrots in a tupperware-type container--no water, because it does leach out the vitamins (the celery, I don't care about--it's mostly water and fiber, but the carrots have lots of value nutritionally). They go pretty fast, too.

If I'm going to use either in a planned meal, like a stew or something, I put them in the crisper without fooling with them and use them within the week.

Carrots last a long time here too. But we use them a lot. I slice them into strips to go with lunch often. I cut them up and cook them to add to canned soups or into rice for easy meals and extra veggies.

The celery in water helps keep it crisp. I do it too. It does work. And yes, last resort, freeze it for soup for later.

Recipe? Depends on what you have on hand.

Usually I'll put a little oil in a pot and cook a little onion. Meanwhile I'll wash the celery well and chop into large pieces (no need for dicing). Keep the leaves on the celery. Chop off anything that looks dark, soft, or 'off.'

Good vegetables for this:

squash

zucchini

pea pods

beans

potato

carrot

herbs

mushroom

greens-spinach

If you use greens, don't overcook and add something sweeter like potato or squash to even it out. Almost any leftovers can be used. Simply boil til a little soft, let stand and cool, strain and store. Good in the fridge for a few days or frozen for a long time. Useful as a soup base or added to stews, making rice, almost anywhere in the place of cooking water, etc.

If it looks like they're going to go bad before you are able to use them, put them in a baggie or container and freeze them. Toss them in the pot next time you make broth (no need to defrost first). If you don't usually make broth, use this as an excuse to give it a try. :001_smile:

:iagree:

Recipe? Depends on what you have on hand.

Usually I'll put a little oil in a pot and cook a little onion. Meanwhile I'll wash the celery well and chop into large pieces (no need for dicing). Keep the leaves on the celery. Chop off anything that looks dark, soft, or 'off.'

Good vegetables for this:

squash

zucchini

pea pods

beans

potato

carrot

herbs

mushroom

greens-spinach

If you use greens, don't overcook and add something sweeter like potato or squash to even it out. Almost any leftovers can be used. Simply boil til a little soft, let stand and cool, strain and store. Good in the fridge for a few days or frozen for a long time. Useful as a soup base or added to stews, making rice, almost anywhere in the place of cooking water, etc.

Perfectly simple and sounds good.