Menu

If you've read Dr. Sears' Vaccine Book...

Do you feel he has factual, scientific data to back the information presented?

I'm asking because at dgs' 2 month checkup, the pediatrician talked to dd about vaccines. She wants to do selective/delayed. When she mentioned having read the book, he said there was really nothing scientific at all in the book.

I just find it hard to believe that there are doctors so ingrained in their thinking they cannot even imagine another doctor presenting information that MIGHT offer factual information for the opposing viewpoint.

So what say you? Factual data, or useless reading material?

Sounds a little like scare tactics to me. :glare:

It's a been a while since I read The Vaccine Book, but it was fairly neutral and straightforward. IIRC, Dr. Sears is pro-vaccination, but also pro-personal choice!

The book presents information about each disease (how common, how serious, etc.), how the vaccine is made and the ingredients, which ingredients are controversial, potential side effects and how to treat them, and suggested shot schedules for selective and/or delayed vaccination.

I'd say it's layman scientific, which is what its purpose is, IMO. It presents straightforward information to parents without dumbing the information down, making it difficult to understand, or being condescending.

Hope that helps! I can get my book out and look more thoroughly if you'd like.

I have not read the Sears book, but I have read some other books (both pro and con).

Vaccines are such a personal decision, and the way they are currently administered is truly a "one size fits all" approach. Also, the fact that most vaccines are given in groups makes it very difficult to determine which single vaccine caused a reaction. And sometimes reactions do occur. Unfortunately, it is usually not possible to determine who will have a reaction beforehand . . .

I have found most pediatricians are not open to delaying vaccines or changing the current schedule. That is why I gave up on peds years ago. My children now see a DO who respects our personal choices. She does provide information, which is part of her duties, but, as she said to me once, I am the parent and the final decision rests with me. Your dd could also look at a Family Practice doctor instead of a pediatrician. I think she will be happier and feel respected. The doctor should be a partner with the parent; not try to frighten or bully parents.

Do you feel he has factual, scientific data to back the information presented?

I'm asking because at dgs' 2 month checkup, the pediatrician talked to dd about vaccines. She wants to do selective/delayed. When she mentioned having read the book, he said there was really nothing scientific at all in the book.

I just find it hard to believe that there are doctors so ingrained in their thinking they cannot even imagine another doctor presenting information that MIGHT offer factual information for the opposing viewpoint.

So what say you? Factual data, or useless reading material?

For the most part, his books are written to a parental audience, so I'm not sure that he cites sources, but I have read information and sat in panels that Dr Sears and his wife, Martha (a lactation consultant and nurse) have prepared for medical professionals, and that material was full of citations.

The impression that I got many years ago was that the Sears (son is a ped in the practice now, too) took their role in educating parents very seriously.

I'd lay a nickle on your dd's ped having a knee-jerk reaction. I would try throwing the ball back into his court: unless you can provide sources for that show that delayed vaccinations are harmful, that is what I intend to pursue.

I felt it was a very evidenced based, neutral book. I actually read an article that the AAP wrote in response to the book in an effort to debunk it. They pulled quotes from the book completely out of context. I was very disappointed in the response. I mean, either leave it alone, or actually site problems with the book. If you have to twist what he says to prove him wrong... that doesn't really do much to help your cause.

FWIW, I think most mainstream peds don't like any of the Sears stuff. So, I'm not surprised by the reaction.

Yes, it was a factual book. He did not cite every sentence or anecdote, because like another poster said he writes for a parental audience..who would not sit through a scientific textbook to get the information they needed.

The book is pretty neutral, and I trust him to help us make informed decisions.

I have not read the Sears book, but I have read some other books (both pro and con).

Vaccines are such a personal decision, and the way they are currently administered is truly a "one size fits all" approach. Also, the fact that most vaccines are given in groups makes it very difficult to determine which single vaccine caused a reaction. And sometimes reactions do occur. Unfortunately, it is usually not possible to determine who will have a reaction beforehand . . .

I have found most pediatricians are not open to delaying vaccines or changing the current schedule. That is why I gave up on peds years ago. My children now see a DO who respects our personal choices. She does provide information, which is part of her duties, but, as she said to me once, I am the parent and the final decision rests with me. Your dd could also look at a Family Practice doctor instead of a pediatrician. I think she will be happier and feel respected. The doctor should be a partner with the parent; not try to frighten or bully parents.

Ditto. And any doctor in our practice that tries scare tactics with us gets their name put on our record with a "do not schedule with". There are two that respect our personal decision and my oldest daughter's medical history irt vaccinations. Those two also know us personally through the community and church. One dr, however, simply refused to touch my daughter unless I agreed to catch her up on her vaccinations right then and there. Hello, this child nearly DIED from a vaccination AND has allergies AND dealt with mono just a couple of years ago. Sure, we'll risk her life just to make one mule feel more comfortable, because you know that all unvaccinated children carry the black plague, right?

I found it helpful. It isn't intended to be a scientific paper, just helpful info for parents. I thought it was balanced. It is reasonably footnoted. There isn't as much actual research on vax as most of us would like. IMO research done by the big pharma who make the vax is always suspect.

We used his schedule (approximately) for DS, who had a reaction to 8 wk shots.

If a ped is reactionary, I'd find another doc.

I found it helpful. It isn't intended to be a scientific paper, just helpful info for parents. I thought it was balanced. It is reasonably footnoted. There isn't as much actual research on vax as most of us would like. IMO research done by the big pharma who make the vax is always suspect.

:iagree: My dh is a chemist and used to work in Pharma. I have not read Dr.Sears book, personally, but I know many scientists who have. They say it is well researched. Our family does not vax at all based off our own pharma/healthcare experiences and years of research.

It's a real personal issue here in our family....we chose to selectively vax and now we're getting services through the school district and we got a letter yesterday in the mail telling us our kids had to be up to date by Dec 15th or they would be released from services. :(

What state are you in? Normally if you fill out the waiver they have to accept it.

It's usually trickier to do a waiver if they know you are selectively vaccinating- it's almost always an all/nothing approach from the school's perspective.

I think if I was in that situation, I would do the waiver for all the shots for school purposes and then selectively vaccinate. Maybe this could be an option for prairiewindmomma?

I didn't read the book but I chose to delay most vax for my ds. He's had the first mmr but not the booster. He had a bad reaction to the flu jab and now I am scared to go for any vax. I haven't found a single ped in my area that is open to suggestions...so ds hasn't had the mmr booster shot.

What does the book say about booster vax?

I get the feeling that he has had his "say," and that he won't really be pushy from here on out. He was my kids' pediatrician, and I never vaccinated, so I was quite shocked when he started this. Of course, dd will move on if he gives her too much grief. The problem with her is she is horrible about verbalizing things so she is panicked about going back.

I get the feeling that he has had his "say," and that he won't really be pushy from here on out. He was my kids' pediatrician, and I never vaccinated, so I was quite shocked when he started this. Of course, dd will move on if he gives her too much grief. The problem with her is she is horrible about verbalizing things so she is panicked about going back.

It's hard to verbalize as a young mother with young children. Your getting hit with so much advice from so many different sources and they are all conflicting. I love my ped because she truly thinks that it's her job to work WITH the parents. Do you homeschool? That's great so many advantages. Public school? Awesome choice as well. She loves, loves, loves Dr. Sears and has his stuff all over her office. When Lily weighed in at the 3rd percentile at 6m she laughed it off and said she wished all her 3 percenters were as healthy as my girl. Keep on nursing her whenever she wants.

I say all that to say that if your daughter ever does feel uncomfortable or challenged she should shop around for a ped that makes her feel relaxed and able. She'll find her voice so enough for her kids, I just know it's hard in the beginning.