Menu

Journey into Africa?

Jay3fer

I'd love to do something to balance all the Charlotte-Mason type Euro history /geography we're doing. Has anybody used this? What were your thoughts? Did you use one of the kits?

Also... exactly HOW Christian is it? We're Jewish, so some OT / ethical / charity / good works references are cool. Missionary-type stuff isn't.

I used the textbook alone one year. I added in living books. It took us slightly less than 1 semester. I did have the TM and the student worksheets, but I didn't end up wanting to use them. Instead of their CDs you could find any CD on African music and replace that.

It is very missionary based, but those are in different sections. There is a geography section, an animal section, and review sections in addition to the missionary. We did an extensive animal study using the animal sections and some library books.

:bigear:

I'm wanting to know more too. Our family is planning a trip to Africa in the summer of 2012, and so I am considering doing a year of Africa for 2012-2013. My kids will be 2nd and K5. I have been obsessively researching Africa curriculum ideas and have a pinterest board if interested.

http://pinterest.com/iwilltell/2-year-geography-study-with-africa-focus/

I wish I had experience to offer you. I hope more people comment.

I'd love to find something like this, only more or less secular. You (everyone on this thead) has just given me a great idea for future history studies. We're currently studying American history, so what if we did one continent a year or semester? Hmmm.... off to think.

Edited by momto2Cs

We're going to be doing an Africa unit study in January and February, getting ready for a trip in the spring.

I've found a lot of good individual resources - I'm excited to read the Akimbo books with the kids and especially psyched to do the Atinuke books - I already have the Anna Hibiscus books and just got The No. 1 Car Spotter. Plus, I've found lots of good picture books, especially for myths and legends, but a few about life in Africa. And there are plenty of books about animals, that's for sure.

However... I'd really, really like to find a nice history book. Something narrative. That could be read aloud. So far, no dice.

This resource looks cool, but it sounds too missionary focused for us. I'd prefer something secular.

I'm excited to read the Akimbo books with the kids and especially psyched to do the Atinuke books - I already have the Anna Hibiscus books and just got The No. 1 Car Spotter. ...

Are there other Atinuke books besides those ones and the new Anna Hibiscus picture book??? We read "Anna Hi" over the summer and loved them. The Canada one is kind of lame, I'll warn you. We're in Canada and it's obvious the author has never been here (she keeps referring to toboggans and sleds as "snow slides" - um, okay). After the warmth and authenticity of the Africa books, that last one is weird, but the kids were okay with it.

As a result of those books, my dd is mildly obsessed with Africa. I would love to read more if she's written more!

This resource looks cool, but it sounds too missionary focused for us. I'd prefer something secular.

Whereas I am happy to have the missionary stuff included as long as I can skip it. ;-) People of faith make the world go 'round, as far as I'm concerned, as long as they're (we're!) not killing each other over it.