Menu

If I'm horrible at getting SOTW activities done... would MFW activities be any better

staceyobu

We are great at getting reading done. I make a checklist of everything we need to do every day, but I always put the craft at the bottom of the list. We read SOTW, the usborne encyclopedia, some additional recommended reading... but by the time we get to the "craft" I'm wiped out and don't have energy for some huge mess. OR friends call and are going to the park, and that sounds way more fun than doing an art project.

I'm considering returning to Sonlight because then reading is all that is required of me! And we're all great readers. I love to read, they love to listen. It works well.

However, I feel like the kids are missing out by not getting more activities. I wonder if MFW would work any better than SOTW... maybe I would feel more obligated to complete the craft if it was on THEIR schedule. :tongue_smilie:

My kids enjoy crafts. Although sometimes I think they enjoy messing around with our art supplies on their own than they do when I try to direct something.

Maybe I just need to stop being so lazy and get the crafts done?

I got in a rut like that and what I did was started doing the project first, or would just do the project first the next day we did history, then moved on to the reading for the next chapter. Sometimes I would schedule our SOTW project as our art class for the week, then I could use it as two subjects.

I think some people are more craft and activity oriented than others. I tend to love the *idea* of a craft/activity, but when it comes to actually making it happen...it's a little on the rare side. I tend to be more like you...we love, love, love to read books aloud!!!! That is way more important in my mind...that the kids love to read. So, my two cents is to not beat yourself up about it. If Sonlight frees you up to not feel guilty about it, I'd try it out. :)

I have used MFW with a lot of success by only doing a few of the activities. It doesn't bother me to skip them. But, if you are a check off the list type person where every single thing must be done or it will bother you, then that might not work for you.

My kids are happy with once a month. I would just pick out one every 4 weeks. And, plan just that for the entire day. No reading, Math, Science...just the activity. It is the only way I get that fun stuff in. But, the kids who like that hands on always learn a lot more. Plus, it is a nice break for me. I usually plan a fun meal or snack if the activity isn't food related.m I love food related activities.

My kids are happy with once a month. I would just pick out one every 4 weeks. And, plan just that for the entire day. No reading, Math, Science...just the activity. It is the only way I get that fun stuff in. But, the kids who like that hands on always learn a lot more. Plus, it is a nice break for me. I usually plan a fun meal or snack if the activity isn't food related.m I love food related activities.

That's a good idea!

We have only done a few of the projects---honestly some of them just haven't worked. Make a hut? Well we've tried several times and let me just say it would suck for us if we needed shelter in the woods :lol:

Simulate an archaeological dig? My ds8 went off on a tangent about archaeology and I though this is cool. We decided to do this in our sandbox and he was all for it ("man this is great" I thought) But then he decided to draw a picture of an archaeologist digging up his "artifacts" and my 4 year old decided to bury them---I think they're still out there.

Our first attempt at a Nile model flopped. It was basically a muddy mess and my 4 year old and 16 month old were way too interested kwim? I have no sun in my house. (So I'm saving a redo of that in spring--as well as the cuneiform project)

I don't think that every project needs to be done, or even during the same week you read that chapter. We basically keep reading and doing the narration etc and activity pages. (my ds prefers to write his narrations and nearly always includes a drawing as well) And if a project sounds fun or feasible we try to get around to it---if not (I WILL NOT mummify a chicken :tongue_smilie:) then no worries.

I think it's totally fine to do one or none---or go back and do one (with a "hey remember learning about the nomads?--here's an "animal skin" bag like they might have used---I made it for you---go play!")

Probably not...it's one of those things you just got to make happen.....no curriculum is magic, if you don't put in the effort yourself, it just ain't gonna get done.

Said from someone who skips waaaay to many activities in MFW and rarely does the science experiments in any science curriculum this far :)

Oh, and yeah, about seeing in the grid....that only serves as a visual reminder that you skipped that activity....ie guilt....doesn't make getting it done any easier.

Edited by Samiam

Probably not...it's one of those things you just got to make happen.....no curriculum is magic, if you don't put in the effort yourself, it just ain't gonna get done.

Said from someone who skips waaaay to many activities in MFW and rarely does the science experiments in any science curriculum this far :)

:iagree: I have to make a real effort to get the projects done, but we've done most of them and my ds has loved them all.

THIS is a great idea that I am going to copy. :)

Another idea could be to set the kids up with the activity at the beginning of your history time. Once they are going on their own, you can read the text aloud to them, pausing now and then for questions or comments so you know they are really listening.

This is what I'm doing with my kids using the K12 book. I get craft ideas from the list of TOG activity books, the kids choose which they want to do, I get them set up, then I read away.

We've managed to get 6 different history projects done this year ranging from a salt dough map of different geographical landforms, to a diorama of Egyptian burial chambers where the kids made everything out of clay, paddle dolls, and a few things in between. :) We also have some great discussions about the text while they are working.

I was just wondering if you've considered Heart of Dakota. I did LHFHG last year and the hands-on is so doable. It uses things found around the house and you rarely have to shop for supplies. I think I needed 3 things all year. She usually suggests several items that would work, so you usually have at least one of those. I got all the hands-on done, which is quite a feat. I don't like hands-on at all. It was just so easy to get it done, and it didn't feel like a big, separate "project". Just thought I'd throw this out there.

Kathy

We use SOTW and rarely do any activities or crafts. I'm just not into that. Sometimes the kids will do something spontaneously while they are playing. Every now and then I get interested in one of the crafts and give it a shot, but that is the exception.

I also dislike science with a lot of activities and experiments. My experience is that the kids just want to be entertained and don't retain anything when a lot of crafts, activities, and whatnot are expected.

:)

We are great at getting reading done. I make a checklist of everything we need to do every day, but I always put the craft at the bottom of the list. We read SOTW, the usborne encyclopedia, some additional recommended reading... but by the time we get to the "craft" I'm wiped out and don't have energy for some huge mess. OR friends call and are going to the park, and that sounds way more fun than doing an art project.

I'm considering returning to Sonlight because then reading is all that is required of me! And we're all great readers. I love to read, they love to listen. It works well.

However, I feel like the kids are missing out by not getting more activities. I wonder if MFW would work any better than SOTW... maybe I would feel more obligated to complete the craft if it was on THEIR schedule. :tongue_smilie:

My kids enjoy crafts. Although sometimes I think they enjoy messing around with our art supplies on their own than they do when I try to direct something.

I remember feeling this way when we started Galloping the Globe.

In the end we picked a couple of crafts to do per month.

:)

Then I realized that I ended up doing most of the work when we did projects.

The education comes in selecting a project, exploring the options for completing it, planning and locating the materials, doing the project, and cleaning it up.

My kids did the project.

I usually did the rest.

I got an education, they got crumbs.

Some of our answers?

1. Dress up clothes and video cameras. And I stayed OUT OF IT. Except to watch the final version.

2. Computer Power Points with voice overs and music. My kids loved playing with the software. I stayed out of it.

3. My youngest made a lot of paper models. He liked that sort of thing. But he could do it on his own; I stayed out of it. Things like this:

http://cp.c-ij.com/en/contents/3153/03352/index.html

Only do projects if your kids are getting the education. If you're doing all of the "work," chances are you are wasting your time. Make them reach for what they want. Then they will own it.

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

However, I feel like the kids are missing out by not getting more activities. I wonder if MFW would work any better than SOTW... maybe I would feel more obligated to complete the craft if it was on THEIR schedule.

Maybe you need to just let them do the craft stuff when they want and just keep doing what you are doing! It took me YEARS to realize that my kids learn better by just reading and being read to. In those years I felt guilty about the time and MONEY I spent trying to do all these crafts and experiments that really added NOTHING to my kids' education but added stress to my days.

So, no, I don't think MFW would be any easier.

Only do projects if your kids are getting the education. If you're doing all of the "work," chances are you are wasting your time. Make them reach for what they want. Then they will own it.

Exactly. My oldest is only 7. He can't do a lot of projects himself yet, especially without good scissor skills (we're working on that). He has some science kits (Science Wiz) that he can do mostly on his own, and he gets a lot out of those, but the history stuff... We've done Cuneiform, since he could do that himself. We did the chicken mummy, though that was definitely ME doing most of the work. I don't think he learned much. I still need to deal with the chicken in salt sitting on top of my fridge since last spring. :tongue_smilie:

Instead of projects, my son incorporates what he has learned into his pretend play. :)

When the kids are older and can do projects themselves, they can do more projects.

:iagree: I had this thought while doing the Nile model. I was working so hard at getting it together and my ds8 was just wondering off to play. I don't mind doing projects with my kids and helping them through the tricky parts, but when I'm starting to feel like I'm doing all the work, or reading out loud to myself, or teaching myself math, or the only one interested---I tend to get a little frustrated. You got to watch for that---it sneaks up on you. :tongue_smilie:

FWIW, I wouldn't switch to a different curriculum because of the activities. I think there is a lot of substance to SOTW without the activities. I confess we don't get to many of the activities, but I am now at peace with looking at the activity book without pangs of guilt. The book suggestions are helpful at the very least. And I love the idea of a once-a-month activity day!

Your children are young, they like read aloud time, they like to do crafts on their own -- why worry about it?

FWIW, I used to think that the younger the child, the more crafts we should do, but my twins cured me of this error. :lol: Now I realize how much they enjoy having "Open Art Cabinet" -- they do what they want, they are creative, sometimes I sit with them and make my own craft (which they promptly copy), sometimes I practice benevolent neglect. ;)

I used to worry that we were "only reading" in subjects like geography, history, science, and Bible. Don't we need projects for every lesson? :willy_nilly:

No, actually, we don't. Something clicked in me when I realized how short the time is for them to sit on my lap, snuggle, and simply listen. They are now 5, 5, and 7 -- and they don't all fit on my lap. But they can clean up their own art messes, LOL. We still read a ton, and sometimes do hands-on stuff, but it's okay if we don't do everything.

Maybe it's more important to fit in hands-on projects, timelines, and crafts when children are older -- more like 8, 9, 10? I think that's the great age of dioramas, lap books, book reports, science projects, nature collections, and poster boards. I still remember the wigwam diorama I made in third grade. :lol::lol: I made it in a clay base (got the clay from the local creek), with REAL sticks and REAL tree bark and REAL dried grass (woven into mats)... it was awesome! We also made covered wagons, leaf collections, an insect collection (mine was ants), and more around that age.

There is time for hands on later, feel free to read and call it done when children are young.

The education comes in selecting a project, exploring the options for completing it, planning and locating the materials, doing the project, and cleaning it up.

My kids did the project.

I usually did the rest.

Some of our answers?

1. Dress up clothes and video cameras. And I stayed OUT OF IT. Except to watch the final version.

2. Computer Power Points with voice overs and music. My kids loved playing with the software. I stayed out of it.

3. My youngest made a lot of paper models. He liked that sort of thing. But he could do it on his own; I stayed out of it. Things like this:

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

I wish I had read this post before I posted my own thoughts, because Janice so nicely sums up what I was trying to say. :blushing:

By the time children are 8, 9, or 10, they can "own" the project for themselves, whereas with younger children (4, 5, 6) a teacher does more of the work so the children will "get something out of" a project -- but it's the teacher's project, right? That wigwam project was all my own doing, from start to finish. I think I might have asked for a box, that was it.

So read to them when they are little, without guilt. Do whatever hands-on stuff strikes YOUR fancy, just to show your children that you know how to have your own fun, just to be creative. Keep the art cabinet stocked and get the children in the habit of cleaning up after themselves.

I also agree with Janice's suggestion for costumes. These are a BIG HIT here. Good luck with finding the right balance for your family.

My kids did the project.

I usually did the rest.

Some of our answers?

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

Very good advice!!

I wish I had read this post before I posted my own thoughts, because Janice so nicely sums up what I was trying to say. :blushing:

By the time children are 8, 9, or 10, they can "own" the project for themselves, whereas with younger children (4, 5, 6) a teacher does more of the work so the children will "get something out of" a project -- but it's the teacher's project, right? That wigwam project was all my own doing, from start to finish. I think I might have asked for a box, that was it.

So read to them when they are little, without guilt. Do whatever hands-on stuff strikes YOUR fancy, just to show your children that you know how to have your own fun, just to be creative. Keep the art cabinet stocked and get the children in the habit of cleaning up after themselves.

I also agree with Janice's suggestion for costumes. These are a BIG HIT here. Good luck with finding the right balance for your family.

Good advice. After going through scads of pointless crafts and activities while the older 2 were a tiny bit younger, with our last DD who is 4, I now know that I don't need to do all those crafts that drive me crazy. I would do the craft, they would be excited for tops of 10 minutes, and then it would get torn in their room and it goes in the trash. I don't think they learned anything. They were fun for them, so once a month of a fun activity like that is plenty for many children.

OTOH, DD4 just doesn't like activities as much as the first. They now do some activities (more at the beginning of the year than now), but much of what they do is independent. I carefully choose things that I know they can do without all of my help. I do help, but I won't do it all. It's their project, not mine.

I find that I'm more likely to get the activities done if a separate day is set aside for it. Each day I read a section from SOTW (each chapter is broken up into 2 or 3 sections usually), take narration from the youngest and have the 9yo write a summary, and do either mapwork or a coloring page or something like that. At the end of each chapter I choose one activity to do from the chapter. Today it was to write a haiku.

I agree that it can be really hard to do an activity after reading and doing mapwork. We only get around to one activity per chapter this way, but I figure that it's better than nothing.