Menu

Kolbe and Seton English

Mama2two

The 2nd grade Kolbe book is very good. So good that I wish they would do their own all the way up. But it does not really include a lot of composition, not that you need a lot for a 2nd grader. Kolbe is switching over to Classical Composition beginning in 4th grade.

And like a PP said, the Seton books, while thorough on grammar, don't include composition either. You have to enroll in the Seton Reading (not English) course to get their composition plans for grade school. Both are solid on grammar. I like the Kolbe book better, but if you are looking for continuity with later grades, the Seton books go through 9th, and the Kolbe switches to 60s Voyages in English, which I don't like.

Kolbe spelling, to me, is awkward. They do it from the Catholic National Reader. The lists don't always seem grade appropriate.

Seton spelling is pretty good, and consistent through 8th grade. Check the books before you buy, though, because many people feel like the spelling is a grade behind, especially in the early years.

Something else to consider is CHC. They have workbooks for both, up through 8th. Their books are pretty good, although we used them a grade ahead. Their English does include writing with it, and you don't need lesson plans with any of it.

Thank you! That helps a lot!

The 2nd grade Kolbe book is very good. So good that I wish they would do their own all the way up. But it does not really include a lot of composition, not that you need a lot for a 2nd grader. Kolbe is switching over to Classical Composition beginning in 4th grade.

And like a PP said, the Seton books, while thorough on grammar, don't include composition either. You have to enroll in the Seton Reading (not English) course to get their composition plans for grade school. Both are solid on grammar. I like the Kolbe book better, but if you are looking for continuity with later grades, the Seton books go through 9th, and the Kolbe switches to 60s Voyages in English, which I don't like.

Kolbe spelling, to me, is awkward. They do it from the Catholic National Reader. The lists don't always seem grade appropriate.

Seton spelling is pretty good, and consistent through 8th grade. Check the books before you buy, though, because many people feel like the spelling is a grade behind, especially in the early years.

Something else to consider is CHC. They have workbooks for both, up through 8th. Their books are pretty good, although we used them a grade ahead. Their English does include writing with it, and you don't need lesson plans with any of it.