Menu

Outgrowing Lego and K'Nex?

At what age do you start scaling back or getting rid of Lego and K'Nex? I realize that at some point, kids get older and move on. Middle ds, builder boy, is 11 1/2 and I think still needs plenty of building materials.

DH is always trying to reduce the clutter around here. I would like to get middle child a big Snap Circuits kit, but the reality is we have a small house and keeping *everything* is challenging.

So what would you do? Buy the large kit and reduce the other building stuff? Buy a smaller Snap Circuits kit and keep everything else? Be sneaky and hide everything so you can keep it all? :lol: (Not that I would *ever* do such a thing.) Other?

ds17 still plays with legos. He no longer plays with knex (will not admit this though).

We've gone to local lego "conventions' every other year or so and I cannot tell if there is an age people outgrow legos. I actually do not think ds will ever part with his legos. We keep legos in large sterlite type tubs. They are under beds and in bedroom closets. They are no longer in the living room where they will hurt my feet when I am barefoot.

I would just buy a smaller snap circuit set.

Ds8 still plays with the midsize duplo blocks. We are selling his larger size, Kid K'nex but keeping the smaller,for now. He doesn't play much with them so I'm thinking by next year we will be k'nex free.

We have 2 five gallon buckets of legos-and growing.

At what age do you start scaling back or getting rid of Lego and K'Nex? I realize that at some point, kids get older and move on. Middle ds, builder boy, is 11 1/2 and I think still needs plenty of building materials.

DH is always trying to reduce the clutter around here. I would like to get middle child a big Snap Circuits kit, but the reality is we have a small house and keeping *everything* is challenging.

So what would you do? Buy the large kit and reduce the other building stuff? Buy a smaller Snap Circuits kit and keep everything else? Be sneaky and hide everything so you can keep it all? :lol: (Not that I would *ever* do such a thing.) Other?

Well, we have gotten rid of the K nex and rokenbok. Our son simply didn't play with either of them. Legos I don't think he will ever want to get rid of though. He spends hours with them EVERY day.

I have looked at the Snap Circuits too but I really think for us it would just be another toy that he would play with for a short time and then it would sit so he is getting legos again for his birthday and Christmas. That is what he wants.

Geez, you guys are sure helpful, aren't you? :glare:

The kid size K'nex is gone at our house now, too, and yes, I love that it all finally stays up in the bedroom and not underfoot!!

I think what we'll do is put all the educational K'nex kits away for dd. And they can depart when she's covered those topics. When I looked at the Snap Circuits again, the boxes they come in are all roughly the same size, regardless of how many pieces they come with, so as long as all the pieces get put back in the box, it should be just fine to get the biggest kit. I hope.

My younger brothers did presumably get rid of their Lego at some point after I left home. So there's hope!

Switzerland will be 18 next month and we picked up the Lego Advent calendar last night...

a

we've gotten the Lego Advent Calendar for a few years now. ds17 is the child who has the hardest time sharing assembling the figures. I had to institute a schedule for whose turn it was. He'll get his own sent to him at college next year (there's a Star Wars Lego calendar that has his name on it).

Geez, you guys are sure helpful, aren't you? :glare:

The kid size K'nex is gone at our house now, too, and yes, I love that it all finally stays up in the bedroom and not underfoot!!

I think what we'll do is put all the educational K'nex kits away for dd. And they can depart when she's covered those topics. When I looked at the Snap Circuits again, the boxes they come in are all roughly the same size, regardless of how many pieces they come with, so as long as all the pieces get put back in the box, it should be just fine to get the biggest kit. I hope.

My younger brothers did presumably get rid of their Lego at some point after I left home. So there's hope!

Another non-helpful suggestion here;)

Could you feed the monster rather than switch to another type of toy? Interchangeability is key when trying to minimize toys. Your kids could learn a lot of electronics from lego Mindstorm (or Wedo for the younger set), rather than Snap circuits.

At what age do you start scaling back or getting rid of Lego and K'Nex? (snip) So what would you do? Buy the large kit and reduce the other building stuff?

?

people scale back? I know they must, as I've seen lego show up in used toy stores, but my adults play with it. (and look for new models to make. hey, it's their money . . . .) 1dd is now more interested in buying a house than lego - and that's what it took to get her off lego.

I concentrated on a few items to collect, and that was it. I could add to it for christmas or birthdays. it gave us enough to really play with, without the extraneous junky toys that cost alot to sit around and take up space.

I agree with your dh. Get rid of ALL the Legos. Pm me and I will buy them all from you. :D

Seriously, a Lego kid doesn't get tire dof Legos does he? My ds is 11 1/2 too and LOVES his Legos. I love them too...I think they are a nice relief from VIDEO GAMES!

However! Video games are MUCH less cluttery. Is that a word? cluttery?

Edited by Scarlett

I think 11.5 might be a little old for snap circuits. I guess it depends on how into electronics he is. My boys got some when they were about 8 and 6, but they were/are REALLY into electronics. They quickly built everything and then were done. I got ds 12 this last Christmas when he was 11 and he has enjoyed it.

We recently got rid of all the K'nex. They all still play with the LEGO's daily, and have moved on to FIRST LEGO League competitions.

Edited by Old Dominion Heather

My boys got some when they were about 8 and 6, but they were/are REALLY into electronics. They quickly built everything and then were done.

That's what I was wondering. My youngest dd asked for Snap Circuits when she was 11 and she played with them on Christmas day and then never opened the box again. That was such a waste of money. :(

Another non-helpful suggestion here;)

Could you feed the monster rather than switch to another type of toy? Interchangeability is key when trying to minimize toys. Your kids could learn a lot of electronics from lego Mindstorm (or Wedo for the younger set), rather than Snap circuits.

Yep. We plan to keep feeding the monster here too. The boys' wish lists for Christmas and birthdays are full of Legos. Full, full, full... DH is living a second childhood. When he was growing up, there wasn't money for the collection of Lego kits that our kids have. DS8 and DH are going halfsies on the Death Star and both are giddy with anticipation. :lol: I think it's adorable. I love Christmas, when DH spends all day happily helping the kids assemble Legos. I'm even starting one of those winter villages for Christmas, made entirely of Legos. They have a nice holiday line. The monster is still very, very hungry here. :D

That stuff is heirloom! Never part with it!

:iagree: We will not get rid of our Legos. Ever. And we're active duty Army, with a weight allowance. :tongue_smilie: