Menu

How to supplement Apologia?

Two of my non-science kids have used Apologia just fine... along comes #3 and he LOVES science! He wants to be a doctor. Goodness. I love liberal arts and math, but science?!?!

How can I help him? I don't think I want to teach this at home, b/c I can't answer his questions. I am leaning towards a local homeschool class that uses Apologia b/c (1) they do the labs in class and (2) the teacher loves science and will answer his bazillion questions. But it is a very easy class. Is there a good way to supplement this at home?

I would consider an online class only if there was a really easy way to ask a million questions. It is so much easier in person. If it were online, I would really want a Christian POV. I don't mind using secular materials at home where we can talk through it, but I don't want a strictly secular POV when I'm not around. Not at this young age, anyway.

I am looking at this for next year - he'll be taking biology in 8th grade. I'll need to keep him busy in science until after his sophomore year when he can start taking dual credit classes.

Have you thought about using DIVE Biology with Apologia? My ds14 is using DIVE combined with Apologia and BJU. We have been really pleased with the amount of information it provides. DIVE also has an AP version of Biology. I believe the author of DIVE states that the DIVE courses are viewed as Honors with the amount of information in the course.

I haven't tried Red Wagon Tutorials, but have heard really good things about them as well from friends who have used it.

Although we have not taken advantage of the resources offered on this website, they look fabulous. This link lists 3 classes, 2 of which are Apologia, that are taught by the same woman. She has extensive study materials (e.g., flashcards, games), as well as supplemental video links and other information for each module in General and Physical Science.

Maybe you could let your ds spend time here to enrich his learning.

Hope this helps,

Pamela F. in VA

Although we have not taken advantage of the resources offered on this website, they look fabulous. This link lists 3 classes, 2 of which are Apologia, that are taught by the same woman. She has extensive study materials (e.g., flashcards, games), as well as supplemental video links and other information for each module in General and Physical Science.

Maybe you could let your ds spend time here to enrich his learning.

Hope this helps,

Pamela F. in VA

Oops - what's the link? Thank you! :)