Menu

How does one quote from a Kindle?

We're using our kindles more and more and will soon need to quote from them. How would you do that? Give the precentage?

Kindles have a location #, which is their equivalent of page numbers. If you underline a passage in your kindle, and then look at your clippings file, it will tell you the location number of that section. If you don't want to mark a passage, you can also see the location number by clicking on the "Go to" option in the menu. It will tell you your present location number under the option of "Go to location".

I expect that the location number will eventually be used if Kindle sources are used for term papers. Nook probably has a similar feature.

Kindles have a location #, which is their equivalent of page numbers. If you underline a passage in your kindle, and then look at your clippings file, it will tell you the location number of that section. If you don't want to mark a passage, you can also see the location number by clicking on the "Go to" option in the menu. It will tell you your present location number under the option of "Go to location".

I expect that the location number will eventually be used if Kindle sources are used for term papers. Nook probably has a similar feature.

I don't think the location number is the same as page number, though. It's more like a line number. But it is a way to easily identify a passage in a Kindle document.

I think I'd hesitate to use a Kindle document as a source for an outside paper--I'd probably want to go to the library and find a physical copy of the book to reference. If it was a paper my kids were writing for a homeschool assignment I wouldn't worry about finding a physical copy of the book, and the location number would be the easiest way to reference the quote.