Menu

Who has synchronized Singapore/Miquon/MEP?

musicianmom

Before I go to a lot of effort trying to put together a flowchart for blending these 3 math programs into a perfect early math education for my eager nearly-4-year-old, has someone else already done this and put it out on the internet to share?

(Dd is begging for math, loves to play with the c-rods, and is trying to learn to write the numbers. I'm not about to push her, learned that lesson with my oldest. But if she's begging to do math, I figure I might as well have the best to offer her.)

We used these 3 as introductory math programs. There is no need to "synchronize" them. Rather, look ahead a little. In MEP, for example, they use an unusual inequality sign (actually it is a standard inequality sign with the innovation of the "difference" being included in a small sub-script ). It is much like the Singapore "number-bonds" in a different form.

So before starting MEP 1, I think it is a good idea to work on "greater than/less than" with rods. Learning and using the standard inequality symbol (we used an index card with a > one could flip to the proper orientation. And we worked on the idea of "how much greater" and "how much less" using Cuisenaire Rods in a concrete way first. This made MEP 1 no stress.

Things like that. Figure out what precursor skills the child will need and work on them in advance. But don't bother to try and align the programs. Part of the advantage to using all 3 is seeing the same basic concepts in very different form.

Trying to make a flow-chart will just make you crazy, and frankly would be counter-productive.

Bill

Don't make it harder than it needs to be. No flowcharts. Step.away.from.the.flowcharts!

Whew!!!

MEP and Singapore are already as they need to be, orderly and in order, etc. Just start and do the next page. Cross out stuff that seems overly redundant as you go. You can't know what is overly redundant in advance so don't try. Wait.

Miquon is a different monster. It's not *meant* to be neat and orderly. It's OK. It's meant to be flexible. You can pick and choose.

If you want to mesh the 3. *I* would make up Miquon packets of about 3-5 pages every week, and let the dc choose which page to do as he goes. I would simply keep Singapore as is, one step every day. I would use MEP as a review, working in it atleast a semester behind Singapore. This is pretty much what I did with my oldest, actually, and it worked out very well for him. I crossed out a bunch of the MEP as we went b/c he didn't need it, but it is free for the printing so I didn't feel bad doing it.

jm.02

We are slowly adding MEP-ish things and have not done a flow chart either. I introduce an idea with the rods, play with it, then a bit later we hit it full-on in Singapore. Now we are coming back around and reviewing those facts with MEP puzzles. I like it this way because otherwise I'd feel like we were drowning on one concept forever... and it is nice to let some concepts mellow in their brains somewhere while you work an easier one.

I agree with Paula. Don't try to sync the three programs.

MEP stays within 20 for the first year, but introduces inequalities and (in one lesson) negative numbers.

Singapore stays within 100 in the first year (and yet is less challenging than MEP). It introduces lots of word problems. There is no way you can sync MEP with Singapore.

Miquon need not be done in order. We do it as a fun review and my dd likes being able to choose a lab sheet to do each time.

I agree with not trying to sync the programs. A large part of the beauty of using several programs would be lost with doing so. Using three resources you can do one, two, or all three at the same time as it makes sense for the student. One Math with cover the same topic in a different manner at a different time and this will either serve as review or even help the student get the concept in a way they didn't before. If they are really rocking in one curriculum you can step back from the others for awhile and let them fly through part of the one.

I'm right there, too, with my 4-year-old. I am planning on combining Miquon, Singapore, and MEP as we go, and I have enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts on how to line it up... Or not! But for the OP, I wanted to recommend a combination of two resources.

1st, there's the free printable Cuisenaire/Pre-Miquon workbook a momput together. It's a wonderful intro. (I'm posting from my phone and don't have the link, but it's not hard to find!)

2nd, MEP has their Reception plans, which are essentially for Pre-K. I just downloaded them two days ago (to use on my Notability app - Thanks Spycar!) but they look like they're going to be a great early start that's still kind of laid back and fun.

Hope that helps some!

I just want to throw this out there...

Trying to do three math programs at once is too much!!

We do two math programs and I don't know how we get to everything - especially when you get into the higher grades.

I honestly think doing Singapore + MEP would be redundant. You could do MEP + Miquon or Singapore + Miquon OR maybe Singapore CWP + MEP + Miquon.

I have a daughter who started off the year doing Math Mammoth, Miquon, Life of Fred Fractions and (occassionally) Singapore CWP. It was way too much and we dropped Life of Fred. This kid is smarter than I am. And she couldn't juggle all that math.

I don't want to kill anyone's enthusiasm. :leaving:

Rgrin, I'm planning to start MEP Reception as soon as I can get it printed out. I'll look for that pre-Miquon link - that sounds perfect!

Starrbuck12, I don't plan on doing 3 math programs forever. I'm just trying to give the best possible foundation in a fun way. By 1st grade I expect dd will probably be settled into one program or another.

You always need to be aware of how much of a workload is healthy for your dc.

Doing 3 (or more LOL) math currics in one year, doesn't mean doing it all everyday. You might do Sing and/or MEP 4 days a week and save Miquon for Fridays...and if you are doing Sing and MEP, I'd recommend skipping some MEP - and doing a lot orally with littles. A 4yo or 5yo will probably only be able to write *one* page for math a day, if that. LOL I did a lot of math with my oldest at those ages, but 95% was done orally or with C rods.

Starrbuck12, I don't plan on doing 3 math programs forever. I'm just trying to give the best possible foundation in a fun way. By 1st grade I expect dd will probably be settled into one program or another.

:blush: I probably shouldn't give any advice. I push my kids way too hard sometimes. It's embarrassing the number of math programs we've used.

Don't forget to look at Singapore Challenging Word Problems later (not this year). You could almost do that with MEP and have a very good math foundation. Also, Miquon is awesome. Every one of my kids works thru Miquon.

Rgrin, I'm planning to start MEP Reception as soon as I can get it printed out.

My 4 year old just finished MEP Reception and we loved it. At some point in the middle, I wanted to pull my hair out and was going crazy about working up to 5s. I almost quit and moved her into Y1, but am so glad I didn't. I just wanted to throw in here, Persist! It is worth finishing!

We've done multiple math programs sans flowcharts and planning... we just dip into each one as needed. I started out with Math Mammoth 1 while using Singapore-inspired number bond diagrams as we did MEP 1 and played with rods. Eventually I dropped Math Mammoth & moved Miquon to our main program along with Singapore and MEP on the side.

For MEP 1, I only use the problem worksheets (no lesson plans) and highlight the problems we intend to use (it is too much to do everything given the other programs we are using).

For Singapore, I use it loosely as a guide, culling teaching techniques from the HIGs and problems from the Intensive Practice.

Miquon we have done pretty much straight through, occasionally skipping things if it has been mastered through another program or activity.

I don't think you can plan too far ahead at this stage because the child often needs to "camp out" a while to figure out some concepts. We took a while to play around with number bonds to 10, but now that DS knows them well, we can jump around and play with harder concepts (addition and sub within a 100, multiplication, etc.). There's no way i could have planned out how long it would have taken to learn the bonds.

I also did a lot of the writing for DS in the early stage.

My 4 year old just finished MEP Reception and we loved it. At some point in the middle, I wanted to pull my hair out and was going crazy about working up to 5s. I almost quit and moved her into Y1, but am so glad I didn't. I just wanted to throw in here, Persist! It is worth finishing!

:iagree: I was about to skip through at the end of the 30s but I flipped through what was left and decided to stick with it. It moves up into more advanced work once you hit ten, so now we're doing quadrilaterals and more problem solving.

You always need to be aware of how much of a workload is healthy for your dc.

Doing 3 (or more LOL) math currics in one year, doesn't mean doing it all everyday. You might do Sing and/or MEP 4 days a week and save Miquon for Fridays...and if you are doing Sing and MEP, I'd recommend skipping some MEP - and doing a lot orally with littles. A 4yo or 5yo will probably only be able to write *one* page for math a day, if that. LOL I did a lot of math with my oldest at those ages, but 95% was done orally or with C rods.

This is all optional, just stuff to do when dd wants to do math. She won't be officially school age till fall of 2013.

This is all optional, just stuff to do when dd wants to do math. She won't be officially school age till fall of 2013.

She's going to be in the same graduating class as my 4 yro! She misses the ps cut-off by 4 weeks. I'm just going to start K next fall anyway. I'd feel bad wasting an entire year, especially when they're so enthusiastic about school. Lol.