Menu

Is a graphing calculator for Larson's Algebra 1 (Chalkdust) Necessary?

We're on Section 4 in Larson's and it is giving technology tips on how to use your graphing calculator for this section. Does this mean we need to purchase one now or very soon? I thought graphing calculators were used much later.

Thanks for any help. It's been so long since I did algebra that I only used an abacus.

Laura

You can use an online graphing utility, but you might want to go ahead and buy the calculator now. He'll need it later on, anyway. There will be other mentions/demonstrations of the graphing calculator as the year goes on. I went ahead and bought the calculator around the same point you're at because I had never used one and figured my son would be best served by taking advantage of all the instruction in its use that Dana Mosely would be providing!

Thanks. It just seems that so many people here are against using calculators at this point,

Laura

Not everyone. :)

Prof Mosely made these videos for remedial community college math students -- not 7th/8th graders. I let dd & ds use calculators in alg 1 because they knew their stuff...well.

Dd did not use a graphing calc in 8th when she did CD alg 1. Ds did.

• 2 weeks later...