Poll: Do you keep butter out all day?

Do you keep butter out all day?  

1. 1. Do you keep butter out all day?

• We leave the butter out all day, but refrigerate it at night
    • We leave the butter out all day and all night
    • We never leave the butter out; it's always refrigerated
    • We don't use butter
    • Other

When I was a kid, my mom kept butter in a covered butter dish and kept it out all day (possibly all night too, I'm not sure). I usually keep butter sticks in the butter compartment in the refrigerator. When we want to use butter we put one in the microwave and hit the soften button (if the stick is less than a full stick you need to remember to not microwave it on soften for the full amount of time....or you'll have a pool of butter in the microwave). The other day the butter was out. I was about to put it away but remembered I'd want it in a couple more hours for lunch. So, I just kept it out. I just wonder if there's any reason to *not* leave it out. It was sure convenient to not have to microwave it. I'm wondering now if I want to do as my mom did...and just leave it out. But, then again....she would thaw frozen meat all day in the sink. So, her ideas aren't always the recommended way of doing things.

Edited by ~AprilMay~

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We keep it out, in a butter dish with snap-on lid. It's easier to use that way. I will put it in the fridge when the house gets too hot in the summer, usually just a few days at a time (75+ daytime indoor temps). My dh grew up with butter just kept on an open plate, but I think that's icky.

There is nothing wrong with leaving it out especially in the winter and if your family will go through it fairly quickly. Unsalted butter that is left out for a long time is more likely to go rancid so if you don't go through butter fast enough, just buy the salted kind.

I put the butter out in the morning and leave it out all day. Before bed, I sometimes stick it in the fridge and sometimes I don't.

We leave the butter out all day and all night.

We have not had any butter go rancid, but we have had butter become contaminated with mold on two or three occasions over the past five years. This is probably because of the knife being reused for butter after being used to spread jelly...and then the butter sitting out for a week after that.

If your family goes through butter quickly, it may not be an issue for you.

We use butter sometimes and margarine sometimes. We usually refrigerate both, but sometimes we leave them out unintentionally. When that happens, we just use them anyway. I like my butter spreadable but not too soft, so I usually just take it out of the refrigerator a few minutes before I'm going to use it. But sometimes for a recipe, I'll leave it out for several hours so it blends more easily with the other ingredients.

In the winter we leave it out. We go through it at a brisk pace, so it's fine.

It usually goes in the refrigerator in the summer. Sometimes in the summer I switch to ghee (clarified butter), but my kids think it's an abomination. Then again, we don't use so much butter in the summer anyway, so it doesn't much matter.

I have an extreme aversion to the taste of rancid food (I refrigerate dry oatmeal because it goes "off" so quickly, and don't get me started on rancid nuts in stuff:ack2:), but the brands of sweet butter we get, consumed at the pace we use it, has been okay for non-rancid-butter so far. Maybe it's because we get cultured butter?

It depends upon your climate. If you use butter often and you're further north, you can keep the butter out for a few days. If you're in the south, the butter goes rancid fast. Since I've lived in the sub-tropical South most of my life, my butter goes in the fridge. I've found the spreadable butter (with a neutral tasting oil to make it spread faster) to be a great substitute for room temperature butter.

If you use it up quickly, I guess you could leave it out all day. But it's a dairy product; it will go bad if it isn't used.

In our house, it would go bad.

I use Plugra butter. Even right out of the fridge, it isn't as hard as other butters. I don't know why. I usually remember to take it out soon enough for it to soften on its own if I'm baking with it; if not, I use a trick I learned...somewhere...it goes in a ziplock bag and I beat it with the handle of knife. Works like a champ, lol.

butter doesn't last long enough around here to go rancid. our temperatures aren't that high either, and in summer, the house has A/C.

my friends mother can taste the difference between butter that has been out at all, vs immediately used in cooking after taken from the refridgerator. she is unusual.

It stays out. I thaw meat in the sink, too.

Same here--on both counts (For chicken though, once it softens noticeably, I put it in the fridge.)

Haven't killed anyone yet. :tongue_smilie:

I put out about 1/2 stick at a time and it doesn't last the day. I use a small plate, and just switch it out for a clean one whenever I notice it's empty. I gave up on a covered dish long ago as I was always the only one putting the lid back on, butter would get squished on the lid. It was an aggravation.

Well, this thread is revolutionizing my whole life. I've always thought you had to keep it refrigerated (and we usually go through a stick a day at least).

Now I just need a pretty butter dish. What's a butter bell?

A butter bell looks like a cup that goes upside down into another container. You put the butter in the cup part and water into the container part. Then the cup flips upside down and goes into the water. This seals out any air. I'm not really explaining this well. :lol: You may just want to google one.

Light and air are absolute enemies of fresh butter taste. The fact that many people are wrong in their butter keeping habits doesn't change that.

Butter should be kept well-sealed in darkness and refrigerated or (preferably) frozen until need.

Otherwise it oxidizes rapidly on it's way to going rancid.

Bill

I've started to buy the Land O' Lakes butter that is mixed with canola oil. It comes in a tub and is pretty soft straight out of the fridge. I keep telling myself that I will mix some butter up with canola oil myself to save money, but never get around to it.

If I run out of butter spread, I do leave a stick of real butter out all the time (night and day). If I put it away at night it wouldn't be soft for toast in the morning... :D