Menu

Kindle Fire: Amazon Free App of the Day thread

I thought perhaps we could maintain a thread to keep track of free apps for the Kindle Fire as they become available. That way we will be less likely to miss good deals on apps. I would say there is no need to post here every day, since most of the apps are not great, but if you grab something then please assume that others here may be interested in the same thing. I have tagged this thread with 'kindle fire' and 'android apps' so you should be able to find it easily in the future by doing a tag search for either one of those terms.

Also, this would be a good place to put other freebies or good deals on apps as they become available.

For reference, here is the link to the Amazon Appstore for Android that includes the Free App of the Day. For reference, once you purchase an app from Amazon's website, you need to go through the following touches to install it on your Kindle Fire: Home->Apps->Store->Menu->My Apps->Refresh->Install.

So I'll start:

Today's Free App of the Day is List Master Pro. It normally sells for $1.99 and it has four stars and decent reviews.

We have been trying to find a device and an app that would allow MomsintheGarden to transition from her old Palm device which she loves for lists. Let's see how this one fares.

I have to admit, all I look at are the games! :tongue_smilie: So, that's why I do need this thread. :) I do think I have everything I need right now to be functional, so I'm not scouring around as I should for "better" things.

(BTW, my life is quickly becoming transformed by the device. It does fit my exact need set, including one I didn't know I had: a fixation to watch Hawaii Five-O*, from season 1, episode 1. Oh, and it anyone wants a link to the real pilot, aka episode 0, my dh sent me a link. Enabler!)

*original series with Jack Lord

• 3 weeks later...

Most of the recent apps have not been interesting to me. Since games are O.K. with you guys, I'll promote today's word game.

Today's Free App of the Day is Bird's the Word It normally sells for $1.99.

This app only has 3.0 stars. Reading the reviews tells me that this game is very buggy. My philosophy is that buggy games can get better so I grabbed it while it is free in hopes that the developer will fix it later.

Shoot.....I don't have an android device!
But since you now have an iPhone, you have access to plenty of free apps! I use AppShopper to find what is free. I find interesting free apps practically every weekend. For instance, MONOPOLY HERE & NOW: The World Edition for iPad is free right now. I just found this normally $9.99 game using AppShopper. The kids have been wanting to get Monopoly. Now I don't have to pay for it!

I was so sad to have missed the Documents to Go full version freebie day :(
Yeah, I was disappointed to miss the other Microsoft Office Android app a few days before that one. (I forget the name.) It has better reviews than Documents to Go so I would like to try both. Oh, well.
Glad this thread came up so I won't miss out again. Got the Nook Tablet, and I love sideloading freebies!
Note that I have tagged this thread. You can find it in the future by doing a Tag Search for 'Kindle Fire' or 'Android Apps'. Or I guess you can just subscribe to this thread...

The games are OK, but not all compatible with the NT. However, when there is a documents or utility-type app, I need all the freebies I can get!
Don't feel too badly since it appears many apps are not compatible with the Kindle Fire, either. Since the Nook Tablet has more capabilities, it may be true that more apps will work on that than the Fire.

But since you now have an iPhone, you have access to plenty of free apps! I use AppShopper to find what is free. I find interesting free apps practically every weekend. For instance, MONOPOLY HERE & NOW: The World Edition for iPad is free right now. I just found this normally $9.99 game using AppShopper. The kids have been wanting to get Monopoly. Now I don't have to pay for it!

I'm so glad I read this thread even though I don't have the Fire. I just snagged Monopoly for free and will now be checking Appshopper regularly. I didn't know it existed! I've been following the Fire threads because my mom originally asked for it for Christmas because she thought the iPad was more than dad was willing to spend. We chipped in together & she's getting the iPad.

Today's Free App of the Day is Little Piano (pro). It normally sells for $0.99 (Although one reviewer says this version is *identical* to the free version of the app. No matter, since it is free today. Perhaps the developer has intentions of differentiating them in the future...)

This app has 4.0 stars. I find the first part of the description to be rather funny:

Little Piano (pro) allows you to tinkle a few ivories...
I suppose that's better than tinkling ON a few ivories... ;)

One reviewer mentioned that the multitouch only supports two fingers and that a third touch does nothing. I do not believe this is a limitation that the developer can overcome since I believe this is a real limitation of AndroidOS. It is one that iOS on the iDevices does not have. Specifically, gestures in AndroidOS are limited to two fingers while iOS can certainly handle five (can it handle more than five?). This limitation makes certain types of applications difficult or at least limited in Android.

Edited by RegGuheert

Finally, there is something that looks interesting...and apropos!

Today's Free App of the Day is A Charlie Brown Christmas. It normally sells for $6.99.

The reviews show it having 3.5 stars. Generally they are positive with the negative reviews indicating that it doesn't work on their devices. I haven't tried it on the Kindle Fire just yet but I will let you know how it works.

I haven't tried it on the Kindle Fire just yet but I will let you know how it works.
It doesn't. In fact, it has locked up the device and I have no idea how to get it to work now. Nothing. Does anyone have any idea how to get this thing working again. I've tried long-pressing the power button. What else could I do? Morse code for SOS? :tongue_smilie:

If you still want to get this app for free, then you still may want to purchase it from the link in the previous post. Just don't download it to your Kindle Fire until there is a fix for the lockup.

UPDATE: Good news! I held down the power button for a *very* long time (like 20 seconds) and it seemed to shut it down. Then I pressed it again and it started up. Then the Kindle Fire shut itself down again. :confused: When it restarted, it said it was applying an update. So I checked the version and it had been updated to version 6.2.1. Now the new app works without a problem! It's cute.

So I recommend that you first update your Kindle Fire if you want to get this app. To do that, follow Amazon's instructions:

To update your Kindle, ensure you are connected to a Wi-Fi network and that your battery is fully charged. Tap the Quick Settings icon in the upper right corner of your device, then tap "Sync." The software update will automatically download in the background and will be applied once download is complete and the device is asleep.
Edited by RegGuheert

I have to admit, all I look at are the games! :tongue_smilie: So, that's why I do need this thread. :) I do think I have everything I need right now to be functional, so I'm not scouring around as I should for "better" things.

(BTW, my life is quickly becoming transformed by the device. It does fit my exact need set, including one I didn't know I had: a fixation to watch Hawaii Five-O*, from season 1, episode 1. Oh, and it anyone wants a link to the real pilot, aka episode 0, my dh sent me a link. Enabler!)

*original series with Jack Lord

:lol::lol::lol: Between netflix and prime vids I am in heaven.

Today's Free App of the Day is Monopoly. It normally sells for $4.99.

The reviews show it having only 3.0 stars. FWIW, our children love this on the iPad. It seems to work fine on iOS in single-player mode (with AI players) or over a Bluetooth connection, but the WiFi game mode is not really usable. It seems the poor reviews on Android are because of software bugs. Perhaps they will fix them soon.

We downloaded Monopoly on our Nook Color using the SD card for Android and we played through one game successfully with no bugs at all. Some of the learning parts of the game are lost in that the computer does all the adding and subtracting of the money for you. :)

• 1 month later...

I am bringing this thread back to life to ask:

So now, given a few months with the Fire Apps under your belt, which is your favorite?

For me, hands down it is TuneIn Radio. (My runner up would be Audible's app). I can not believe how often I use that app. Apparently, I really miss my transitor radio of childhood! But now, we can tune in all over the world!

Today, we listened to a Top 40 Station out of Taipei. Most nights, we go to sleep listening to a Hawaiian station. Bonus on Sunday nights is that the stations' djs talk in Hawaiian. :D The other night, my dh and I spent about 30 minutes listening to a discussion on modern Chinese culture out of a station on Montserrat! I even use it to listen to the local stations when I'm cooking in the morning. :)

So, what is yours??