Menu

CC Challenge A or Omnibus 1

Thinking forward to next year, I'm trying to decide whether to put my 7th grade daughter in CC Challenge A or do VP Omnibus 1. Does anyone have any opinions on this? Could I possibly do both, since Challenge A is a little light on history and literature. How many hours does omnibus take a day? Thanks.:)

I think the answer will depend on what type of student you have, how many other children are you homeschooling, and what type of focus do you want.

I have a 13 year old in Challenge A now, and I have a 6th grader and a 3rd grader. We could not have added Omnibus successfully. (If he was an only child - probably doable.)

Bump your thread a few times if you don't get responses right away. I believe that there are some here who have done both (or if not omnibus, other online course work on top of Challenge A)

Are you already in a CC community? The community itself would also influence my decision of whether to go with one or the other.

I have been thinking along the same lines. I have 3 younger children (9,7,2). Omnibus seems very parent intensive, which I would love to do with her, yet my 9 and 7 year old still need a lot of my time. We have been at a CC campus for over 3 years now, but I don't know of anyone who has added anything as rigorous as Omnibus. Most people feel pretty overwhelmed with Challenge itself.

Thanks for your response.

I tutored Challenge A for two years and currently tutor Challenge B. I don't have any experience with Omnibus.

Challenge A doesn't have any formal history study. I do think its possible for students to do the Challenge A course load AND history study. Success with adding history would largely depend on how motivated your middle schooler is. Omnibus I is quite challenging. That might be too much.

CC uses the Challenge A and B years to prepare kids for high school largely in the areas of independent learning, study skills, composition, math, and Latin. Challenge A has lots of memory work, lots of writing, and many opportunities for kids to discuss the things they study.

What are your goals for middle school? Intense and thorough history study? Discussion time with peers? Focused time on writing and/or literature analysis? If you choose Omnibus, will you want/need help with math, science, foreign language, etc?

It also depends on your Challenge A. Our Challenge A tutor provides a lot of optional extras that easily make it a full year. When my first one went through, he was very, very busy. He listened to history with my younger one that year, and I gave him extra reading related to that as I felt appropriate.

That said, my next one is academically stronger, and I'm going to have them do Challenge A plus the Veritas 1815 to Present self-paced or online class. I thought about picking-and-choosing from Omnibus I, but that's more work than I want for myself and I like the books in 1815 to Modern.

I tutored Challenge A, two of my dc took it with me, and we use Omnibus now.

We didn't do Omnibus the year we did Ch A, but we did add several courses. Ch A gives you math and Latin, which we would do anyway. The science was not enough for me (it is more focused on learning research and writing skills and doing memory work,) so we added BJU science. The writing was fine, but there was room for more for a student who already had the basics down. I added a lot more literature, some writing, and a history program, which was probably about the equivalent of Omnibus I. We also added logic, but if you planned to go on to Ch B, you would get that there. The work load for the rhetoric class is very light, but you could skip that if you were doing Ch A, and that would give you more time.