Menu

Wii or Xbox Kinect for special needs teen?

LNC

My preference is the Kinect because it doesn't involve the extra controllers. And we already had the xbox.

We have both, but love the Kinect more. Partly because we don't have to worry about the controllers being charged. One thing to note though is that Wii games are a lot cheaper. Xbox games are ridiculously expensive. If you think your son would like a large variety of games then the Wii may be the way to go. The controller on the Wii isn't difficult to use as long as you have the Wii motion plus (it attaches to the bottom of the remote) and for sure would be no more difficult than using a computer.

Lesley

We have a wii, and SillyAutismMan can really only use it with help. I took him to look at the Kinect at Best Buy...and then we saw the iPad. He can do so much with the iPad2 - that is where his SSI money went! He can use it w/o any help, games, education stuff, lots of ebooks that read-a-loud to him (he can barely sound things out at age 20). I'd look at an iPad.

I bought a used x-box from the kid down the street who was upgrading, and hope to get a used Kinect from my nephew soon (he dislikes it). Then I will get the Disneyland Kinect game and maybe Clone Wars when it comes out....and hope SAM can use them. Those Kinect games are $$$$$.

Doesn't Gamestop have used Xbox/Kinect games for cheaper? I think an Ipad is a great idea down the road... We made our bonus room/office into an apartment for him as an adult. I'm trying to get him something up there to do for fun. Thanks for the advice everyone!