Menu

Cyclists...need a bike head/tail light for ds, any recs?

Tap

Ds17 would like to continue riding his bike to work. That is fine in the day, but now that it is dark at 5:30 he is riding home in the dark. He has been taking the bus with his bike home, but even with that he still has about 1/2 mile ride. The road is paved and there are street lights.

I would like to stay under $100 for both head/tail lights, but honestly, his safety is most important.

His bike is outside at work, in an area with a lot of apartments (well lit and safe but higher theft rates) so it needs to be removable if it is very expensive.

any suggestions?

If it matters, he is riding an older Cannondale mountain bike.

Does he need it to see the ground with, or just for cars to see him? My dh says you can definitely stay under $100 if it's just for making him visible to cars on the road.

Mainly for cars to see him, but I am sure there will be times when he could use some extra light on the ground as well. There are street lights the entire way, BUT we live in the PNW so there are times when he will be riding home in the rain or when street lights burn out.

My hubby cycles around 200-300 miles a week on his road bike and mountain bike. He recommends going to Performance Bikes (.com), he has used them extensively and has had good service. He sent me this link for your son to look at: http://www.performancebike.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/mProduct4_10551_10052_1112059_-1_catNav

He said you did not have to buy *this* light combo, but you can get a good idea of what you might want. They are having a great sale this weekend, so if you can take advantage of that... you could get a higher quality product at the cheaper price.

My hubby cycles around 200-300 miles a week on his road bike and mountain bike. He recommends going to Performance Bikes (.com), he has used them extensively and has had good service. He sent me this link for your son to look at: http://www.performancebike.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/mProduct4_10551_10052_1112059_-1_catNav

He said you did not have to buy *this* light combo, but you can get a good idea of what you might want. They are having a great sale this weekend, so if you can take advantage of that... you could get a higher quality product at the cheaper price.

Is there something particular about that one he likes?

My dh bikes to work. For years, he strapped a bright LED flashlight to the handlebars and used a blinky light (like the link above) for his visibility to cars. He uses the blinkie one day or night. Similar to daytime running lights, the blinkie light really draws attention to the cyclist, even in daytime. He also wears a very lightweight neon jacket, example here. Dh says he didn't pay that much for his, though. All of his light equipment is removable for theft reasons.

Blinkie light

Flashlight

Directions for a mount for flashlight scroll about 1/2 way down and look for homemade flashlight bracket

Edited by RebeccaS
Links for suggestions

I'd also recommend the blinking light (as well as a constant one). My husband was adamant about our son having a blinking light on his travels through Europe a few years ago. It was the first I'd heard of them. Since then, I've noticed that it's MUCH easier to spot a bicyclist with a blinking light. Sorry though -- don't know the different models. We got our son one at REI. (http://www.rei.com)

My Dd has this one http://ilovemybike.com/product/xlc-bicycle-accessories-xlc-high-beamer-front-led-headlight-12058.htm .

We both love it. She rides at night while I run, and this lights her up plus lights the path up for me. The light has three modes - constant, slow blink, fast blink. I haven't tried to remove it yet, so I don't know how easily that can be done. It's way below your $100 budget, though.

ETA: I just saw you're in the PNW. If you're in or near Seattle, you can stop into Bike Sport (where my link points) rather than online shop. Scott is the owner and was very helpful when I was light shopping. You might be able to try the lights out and save the shipping.

Edited by kimmie38017

I think I have decided on 'Portland Designs Works' tail light

If anyone has this one, would they mind commenting on the battery changablity? I assume this light is left on the bike and it seems like it could be awkward to change the batteries.

and a Minewt head lamp. I haven't decided on which lumen to get yet. I am deciding between the 150 and 350. I feel the 150 is sufficient for now, but I am leaning toward the 350 so he is covered where ever he goes.

As I read online I see a lot of people using tail lights on the sides also. How important is that?

One crazy idea- (my dh's cousin rides her bike a LOT and she does this) wrap Christmas lights around the body of the bike. There's some kind of battery pack that can be switched on and off. Said cousin is trying to not drive her car for a year.

LOL he doesn't like to draw attention to himself, so I can't imagine that I could get him to do this, but I love the fact that she does it. LOL