Menu

s/o Is Kiss Grammar the only program that uses classical literature as the "base"

I have been looking at Daily Grammar Practice for next year. It uses real sentences to analyze from 5th-12th grade. My plan had been to use DGP and have a light grammar year next year(until the KISS thread:tongue_smilie:), but I don't think it would be a complete program by itself. You can view the samples on the scope and sequence link.

Do you know if there's a "main teaching text" that goes along with this? It looks interesting!

My understanding is that you have a teacher book and student book for each grade. The teacher book has the answers as well as "help pages" that explain the concepts covered. I *think* the student book has help pages so they can reference them as well. I emailed DGP some questions last year. Here is the part of their response that pertains to this:

The teacher's guide provides you with the correct answers for each day's lesson and a few teaching points that explain some of the more difficult or newer concepts. The student help pages provide an overview of all concepts addressed throughout the year. While you might find it helpful to briefly review each day's lesson ahead of time, it shouldn't take you a lot of prep time. If there is a concept you're unsure of for that week, you would look at the help pages to brush up. It would not be necessary for you to study all the help pages up front, though. Like your daughter, you would just deal with the new concepts as they arise. It's very much a "learn as you go" approach, so you would really just need to stay a day or two ahead of her.

Killgallon uses authentic material from good authors. Some of the books would be more part of a popular 'cannon' than a classical one, though.

Yes, thanks! We have the blue book of Kilgallon (can't remember the title) and use it occasionally. We will certainly be using it more in fifth. I don't love the "chunking" or the substitute words he uses for certain grammatical terms, but the idea of imitation, and the selections he uses are great.

The Sentence Composing for Elementary Grades uses proper terminology. The Story Grammar for ELementary Grades does not. It switches at the Middle Grade. I think it's the Story Grammar for Middle Grades which uses proper terminology and the Sentence Composing does not.

Can you do one without the other? So, is it possible to use Sentence Composing for elementary Grades without the Story Grammar for Elementary Grades? or do you need both? How do they "fit" with MCT? and/or KISS?

I don't have Story Grammar for Elementary School. My friend has it but I won't be able to look at until after Thanksgiving. I have Grammar for Middle School (GMS) and Sentence Composing for Middle school (SCMS). They are quite different. GMS focuses on grammar. Contrary to it's title, GMS is the next level after Sentence Composing for Elementary School. It covers opening adjective, delayed adjective, opening and delayed adverb, phrases (absolute, appositive, prep, participial, gerund, infinitive) and clauses (indep, depend, adj, adv, noun). It uses the imitative, unscrambling approach exactly like Sentence Comp for Elementary School.

Now, SCMS (very different from Sent Comp for Elementary School) works on sentences and paragraphs. It starts w/ unscrambling sentences, avoiding comma splices, varying sentence structure. It moves into sentence imitating. It then moves into combining sentences, combining sentences into paragraphs, and then expanding sentences w/ words, w/ phrases, w/ clauses. There are exercises where you imitate entire paragraphs from literature. One exercise is to imitate great opening paragraphs. DC writes the opening to a story imitating the one in SCMS. The sentence imitating would overlap w/ GMS however rather than each being it's own section as I outlined above, in one exercise you're imitating a sentence w/ a participial, one with an opening prep phrase, one w/ absolutes. So while you can do one w/ the other, I think it would be helpful if DC had a working knowledge of those grammar concepts so that you can use proper terminology when discussing the sentences to imitate. For ex: "Look at this sentence. How is this sentence organized? What grammar principle is it utilizing?" "Why Mommy, I do believe that is an absolute." :lol:

So I thank you for forcing me to look at this as I needed to make a decision and I think I just answered my own question. We'll do GMS and then SCMS. Or maybe tag team them and do one for a quarter and switch to the other as my DS knows all of these grammar concepts.

I don't have Story Grammar for Elementary School. My friend has it but I won't be able to look at until after Thanksgiving. I have Grammar for Middle School (GMS) and Sentence Composing for Middle school (SCMS). They are quite different. GMS focuses on grammar. Contrary to it's title, GMS is the next level after Sentence Composing for Elementary School. It covers opening adjective, delayed adjective, opening and delayed adverb, phrases (absolute, appositive, prep, participial, gerund, infinitive) and clauses (indep, depend, adj, adv, noun). It uses the imitative, unscrambling approach exactly like Sentence Comp for Elementary School.

Now, SCMS (very different from Sent Comp for Elementary School) works on sentences and paragraphs. It starts w/ unscrambling sentences, avoiding comma splices, varying sentence structure. It moves into sentence imitating. It then moves into combining sentences, combining sentences into paragraphs, and then expanding sentences w/ words, w/ phrases, w/ clauses. There are exercises where you imitate entire paragraphs from literature. One exercise is to imitate great opening paragraphs. DC writes the opening to a story imitating the one in SCMS. The sentence imitating would overlap w/ GMS however rather than each being it's own section as I outlined above, in one exercise you're imitating a sentence w/ a participial, one with an opening prep phrase, one w/ absolutes. So while you can do one w/ the other, I think it would be helpful if DC had a working knowledge of those grammar concepts so that you can use proper terminology when discussing the sentences to imitate. For ex: "Look at this sentence. How is this sentence organized? What grammar principle is it utilizing?" "Why Mommy, I do believe that is an absolute." :lol:

So I thank you for forcing me to look at this as I needed to make a decision and I think I just answered my own question. We'll do GMS and then SCMS. Or maybe tag team them and do one for a quarter and switch to the other as my DS knows all of these grammar concepts.

Thanks! We are planning on elementary school series for writing along with MCT. This really helps!