Menu

Reading aloud

It's HARD!

Some of you who have been here since my boys were younger may remember that I have always disliked reading aloud. My guys never minded that I'd either let them read to themselves or give them an audio book to listen to. At the end of the day we'd all pile onto the big bed and each of us would read our own books. We always read together, but once they were independent readers, I didn't read to them.

I don't know what came over me last night, but when my 12 year old and I chose our next literature selection (Gulliver's Travels) I just opened the cover and started reading to him.

Every time I glanced up he had an enormous grin on his face.

I stumbled over some of Swift's invented words and repeatedly apologized. He'd say, "No! You're doing fine! Keep going!"

:blushing:

So. I need to keep going.

Tell me it gets easier! Or at least tell my why this is so HARD!

Do I just need more practice?

I considered pre-reading the chapters we'll cover tonight so I am familiar with them when we sit down together, but I don't have time to regularly read a single book *twice* every week.

Well, I dislike it because my voice gets tired after awhile. Try having some fun with the voices. If I have more fun, it's not so hard. It's hard to try and keep different voices consistent for the characters. People who read audiobooks for a living sure do a great job.

If it makes you feel any better, I think you picked an extremely hard book to read aloud! Swift is dense stuff. At the time it was a triffle, but now we don't get the jokes, you know?

But at least you know the next book *will* be easier!

A homeschool dad on another board I'm on reads audiobooks as his job. He's talked about it on there a couple of times and it's sort of fascinating.

I'll feel great about my reading aloud, and then I'll get to a book that throws me a curve ball.

I wouldn't read out loud anything that has a character speaking in a accent, or just two difficult, such as the five little peppers.

But then I'll start something and get to a word that I have no idea of how to pronounce. I ended up making a list for the last book I read. I was going to have dh teach me how to say those words. But I lost the list. :(