Menu

House Rules-Do You Have A Chart in the House?

We have the Four Questions in place of a list of rules. Whatever is done, the answer has to be "Yes" to all of these:

Is it morally right?

Is it respectful?

Is it safe?

Is it legal?

4 "yes" and it's a green light. 1 or more "no" and the activity is not permitted. When things happen that upset others in the house the first words out of my mouth usually are "that is not respectful/safe/morally right/legal. Stop now."

I've found that any rule I could make up usually fits into the four questions and mostly end up being wasted words as children look to get around them. "No fighting in the house" can turn into fighting in the backyard, kwim? And then the list just gets too long to remember.

I'm going to get some poster board and do a house rules list in big black sharpie marker today.

Do you have a list of house rules up? Do you want to share what is on it?

We have Norman Rockwell's "Do Unto Others..." poster in the entryway. I think that covers it.

We have the Four Questions in place of a list of rules. Whatever is done, the answer has to be "Yes" to all of these:

Is it morally right?

Is it respectful?

Is it safe?

Is it legal?

4 "yes" and it's a green light. 1 or more "no" and the activity is not permitted. When things happen that upset others in the house the first words out of my mouth usually are "that is not respectful/safe/morally right/legal. Stop now."

I've found that any rule I could make up usually fits into the four questions and mostly end up being wasted words as children look to get around them. "No fighting in the house" can turn into fighting in the backyard, kwim? And then the list just gets too long to remember.

I really like this, printing and taking out for a test run. Took about an hour of discussion going over the finer points of each of the four & examples from real life.

She's stretching her rope a little and needs reigned in. :)

She is used to the concept of "must have 2 yes" responses from both adults in the house-so this might be a good choice.