Menu

What phonetic readers to you recommend?

Stellalarella

I've used Phonics Pathways to teach dd8, ds6 and ds5 to read. We also use the companion Reading Pathways books with pyramids. DS6, in particular, is clamoring for books to read. BOB books are OK, but they tend to introduce words that he has not yet learned the phonics to read. I do tell him how to/why to pronounce the unknown words, but it would be nice to have readers that aren't introducing so many sight words.

I've looked at the readers from All About Spelling--of course they correspond nicely but at the moment the $ investment is prohibitive.

Do you have any rec's?

Thank you

Andrea

My dd is reading the phonics readers from Christian Liberty Press right now along with PP. Thre are 4 of them and they are ok. Better than many I have seen anyways. They do include CC though. After she finishes those she will move onto the HOD Emergent reader set and other books like those.

:) Another vote for the Nora Gaydos, "Now I'm Reading" Series. There are several different levels. They were much loved here in our home! :):)

Another series that we really loved were the "We Both Can Read" books. They are designed for the parent to read one side of the page and the child reads the page next to it. They also come in several levels. You can look inside them here: http://www.amazon.com/Just-Five-More-Minutes-Both/dp/1601150148/ref=pd_sim_b_13

Edited by BlessedMom

I also agree with Nora Gaydos' books. Now if you can find them cheap, which I did I found the whole set of Hooked on Phonics (older one with cassettes, but I did not want the workbooks, or the cards) for the readers. My son loves these readers. They progress the kids at a nice pace. Now since we do have the workbooks I do have him read the stories in them sometimes too, but the readers for HOP are awesome.

• 2 weeks later...