Menu

Bullying at school.....this time at elementary school...

My heart broke for this girl too; we pulled our kids from school in part b/c of bullying/bad behavior from the other kids. I remember when my son was in kindergarten there was a long display down one hallway about the school not tolerating bullying and then he would walk into his class and be bullied. He asked me once "isn't that bullying? Why can they do that when the sign says they can't?" I came to pick him up from school one day to see him getting hit with his own backpack by two other boys in his class... through superhuman efforts I didn't flatten the kids involved but I did make them cry with fear. My daughter's whole kindergarten year she wanted to wear pink dresses and she had always been a complete tomboy. :confused: We later found out that the ringleader of the girl bullies liked pink dresses. And if she didn't like what you were wearing she wouldn't let any of the other girls talk to you that day. brother.

Our small town school was run by the offspring of cliques of days gone by. Their kids would become teachers and get hired by the parents on onward and onward. It was cliques upon cliques and if you weren't in the clique your kid would have no protection from the school authorities. BS.

I had a trigger finger for homeschooling-I was bullied and really abused as a kid by other kids and I wasn't going to let my kids get ruined by it. It changes who you are... and I liked my kids too much to let that happen to them.

I know not everyone can make the same choices that we did but sometimes I want to scream when I hear these stories about how kids were treated so terribly by the kids and the schools and the parents sent them there every day. First thing I would do is pull them out. so sad...

Edited by livingnlearning

My oldest DD was socially bullied in 2nd grade. It was a bad year for her. The little demon child would tell her that she would tell this person or that person not to be her friend unless she did what she was asked. My DD is impressionable and needs to feel validated. That little witch saw that and used it to her advantage. I had to fight with the school to keep my kid out of that girl's class. I finally just pulled her after several rumors about the principal led to her "voluntarily" resigning mid-year. God help the child that bullies one of mine is all I can say.:glare:

Yikes when you put it that way that it was 20% of her life, sad.

Sorry about your son's friend. That would be a difficult situation.:grouphug:

I agree. I didn't see the 2 years. And I didn't read any examples of what she was going through either. I was simply saying the cop isn't done investigating. He might be right or not. We don't know what exactly was going on.

And you are one the people who would just let it go and let her get bullied till she kills herself! NO ONE can EVER judge how something is affected someone else.

Oh bull. All I said was a simple fact.

I haven't read about her bullying. If the cops says he hasn't uncovered anything majorly traumatic, then that does not mean he turns the other way. It might mean this poor sensitive girl was affected far deeper than one would expect. Thats not turning the other way. That's not blaming her. It means all we know is that little girl was very disturbed.

I tend to not take any poo from people, so it is highly unlikely I wouldn't e completely socially rude and tell the kid to back off. I've done it before. I'd do it again.

But I also know I have a couple kids that are very sensitive by nature. If you look at them wrong they will cry. That doesn't mean they are bullied. It means they need lots more effort at developing coping skills. And yeah. They would be eaten alive if I sent them to school. Luckily I don't have to do that. :)

Just saying we don't have many details does not in any manner mean I wouldn't act.

My heart broke for this girl too; we pulled our kids from school in part b/c of bullying/bad behavior from the other kids. I remember when my son was in kindergarten there was a long display down one hallway about the school not tolerating bullying and then he would walk into his class and be bullied. He asked me once "isn't that bullying? Why can they do that when the sign says they can't?" I came to pick him up from school one day to see him getting hit with his own backpack by two other boys in his class... through superhuman efforts I didn't flatten the kids involved but I did make them cry with fear. My daughter's whole kindergarten year she wanted to wear pink dresses and she had always been a complete tomboy. :confused: We later found out that the ringleader of the girl bullies liked pink dresses. And if she didn't like what you were wearing she wouldn't let any of the other girls talk to you that day. brother.

Our small town school was run by the offspring of cliques of days gone by. Their kids would become teachers and get hired by the parents on onward and onward. It was cliques upon cliques and if you weren't in the clique your kid would have no protection from the school authorities. BS.

I had a trigger finger for homeschooling-I was bullied and really abused as a kid by other kids and I wasn't going to let my kids get ruined by it. It changes who you are... and I liked my kids too much to let that happen to them.

I know not everyone can make the same choices that we did but sometimes I want to scream when I hear these stories about how kids were treated so terribly by the kids and the schools and the parents sent them there every day. First thing I would do is pull them out. so sad...

It's really amazing the power some kids get....or think they can have over others (referring to the pink dresses). Sheesh.....

I feel a lot like you. I had a tough time in school too.....very timid/shy and had different religious beliefs. I was an easy target. I knew that if I ever had kids there was no way I was letting them go to school and have that happen to them.

DD's ballet teacher is against homeschooling because she claims that kids need to be bullied in order to survive in the real world. So there are people who genuinely believe this and will allow these socialization issues to play out thinking that it will make kids tougher. I'm afraid to hear what their response would be to these tragic stories.

I have extended relatives who are against homeschooling for the exact same reason as bolded in your quote. One of them is a teacher.:crying:

I moved my 13 yr old this fall from a huge public school to a small Christian private school. 8th grade. She was never bullied in public school. She has been hazed and bullied in the private school since day 1. She is returning to public school in 2 weeks.

Just goes to show you - kids aren't safe anywhere.

I've seen bullying in preschoolers.

We saw this too. In my older dd's Montessori preschool class, there was a bully. The teachers and administrators in the school spent a lot of time that year dealing with this one boy. They said he had "aggression problems" and spent enormous amounts of time developing IEP's for him, etc. Meanwhile, he systematically pushed around, knocked down, spit on, cursed at, and punched more than half the kids in the class, including my dd. He punched her hard enough that she vomited not long after. That was a real fun day, let me tell you. My dd began to hate school after that. She was four.

By the end of the year, I'd discovered the WTM, read through it, and pulled her from preschool. We haven't looked back. The school did not support my decision. However, they did finally remove that boy from the class.... after he throttled another boy.

They moved him to the afternoon session.

Because yeah... that'll solve it.

My oldest ds has always been a target for bullies. He tends to go out of his way to be different, and public school was a disaster for him. Until I discovered the hsing option when he was in the 5th grade, he was stuck in our local public school with these kids. We lived in a small town, where the majority of the kids walked to school, so most of the students knew where other students lived. The year I pulled him out, the worst bully actually came to my home to harass my son. I even knew his mother! When I complained to her, she informed me that her son was out of control and I would be better off calling the police. When I complained to the school, they said that since I had no proof about in school bullying, there was nothing I could do. I pulled him out so fast!! He is now almost 17, half a credit shy of graduating highschool, and it thriving! He still goes out of his way to be different, but is now encouraged for it and not teased.

Edited by Rjmakmom
misspelling