Menu

KISS grammar available free online

lewelma

For those of you interested in a wonderful, free grammar program, we are discussing it on the logic board. Its website is pretty bad, even if the program is excellent, and we are discussing what needs to be downloaded and how the program works.

Ruth in NZ

I'm planning on making the leap to KISS after we finish up GWG 1/2. I know everyone says the website is awful, but it looks fairly straightforward to me. Pick the correct level, download/print the materials, and go!

Ruth, would it be a good idea for me to go through the self-paced course before starting with my 8 year old? Or the master books?

Or should I just start working through the 6th grade Level 1 book on my own?

My own grammar education was pretty pathetic. I avoid most of the common grammatical errors, but that's only because the errors look & sound wrong to me, not because I know why they're wrong.

Edited by jplain

I'm using KISS with my second graders right now. We love the program. I had plenty of formal grammar but that was a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.....

But I find KISS works well in spite of (or because of) a lack of knowledge. I have to go look at the explaination and figure out how it works.

And yes, the website is awful in terms of navigating around.

"Pretty bad" is a gross understatement of just how horribly confusing and confounding the KISS grammar website can be to navigate.

I wish someone would help that guy out as there is no need for it to be torture.

Bill (who threw up his hands and gave up)

If you go to the Logic board and read Ruth's description and instructions there, it makes sense. I had been to the site a few times, but could never figure out what I needed. With her instructions, I now understand and was able to download what I needed.

If you go to the Logic board and read Ruth's description and instructions there, it makes sense. I had been to the site a few times, but could never figure out what I needed. With her instructions, I now understand and was able to download what I needed.

Perhaps someone can induce the man to add Ruth's instructions (or some variation thereof) to his homepage? Until he does that I will suspect the man has a Sadistic streak in his personality :D

Bill

I've answered questions on the logic board, rather than cross posting here.

"Pretty bad" is a gross understatement of just how horribly confusing and confounding the KISS grammar website can be to navigate.

Yes, I know. And many of us have tried to give suggestions, but he is getting countering opinions from different types of users. And he really wants to put his time to developing the grammar material, rather than reworking the website.

If I remember correctly, Bill, you are using MCT grammar materials. We are using and have used both Grammar Island and Grammar Town. And I just thought you might want to know that they are easy compared to KISS. It might be worth the head ache to do some of the more advanced KISS exercises as a challenging addition to MCT materials.

Ruth in NZ

Edited by lewelma

Thanks, Renee

We love KISS.

I've answered questions on the logic board, rather than cross posting here.

Yes, I know. And many of us have tried to give suggestions, but he is getting countering opinions from different types of users. And he really wants to put his time to developing the grammar material, rather than reworking the website.

If I remember correctly, Bill, you are using MCT grammar materials. We are using and have used both Grammar Island and Grammar Town. And I just thought you might want to know that they are easy compared to KISS. It might be worth the head ache to do some of the more advanced exercises as a challenging addition to MCT materials.

Ruth in NZ

You are correct. We are using MCT. I am open to using KISS (if I can figure out what I need). Can you link me to your directions and/or can someone seize control of his materials and publish them in easy-to-use form? The current situation is madness! :D

Bill

ETA: I found the thread:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324737

Lewelma -- Thank you so much for all of your explanations and directions in the other thread. I clicked on the link that went directly to the page for downloading the various levels and clicked on the 6th grade book for Level 1. After skimming through it I went back and read through more carefully and then read through the "Teacher's Manual" (I know he has called it something else). We had taken a break from R&S and had been using Killgallon so I immediately appreciated the fact that he was using sentences straight from literature. I'm planning on putting the R&S aside to give KISS a go. I have always hated the idea of going over the same material year after year with only small amounts of increasing difficulty. It has always seemed such a waste of time to me.

I'm really excited about trying this out with my 6th and 3rd grader.

Thanks again!

I have always hated the idea of going over the same material year after year with only small amounts of increasing difficulty. It has always seemed such a waste of time to me.

:iagree: My ds does not tolerate boring, easy stuff, and KISS has been anything but.

Ruth

I wish someone would help that guy out as there is no need for it to be torture.

Bill (who threw up his hands and gave up)

Yeah, I have friends who use adaptive browser technology, and that site gave one of them fits! (she threw a hissy)

I just find it visually overwhelming with too much non-standard colour going on. I've switched to using Opera for it - w/ images OFF and style = high contrast [b/w]. THAT got me through the visual processing problems (visual migraines). :)

Pauline (who just threw up and then tweaked her Opera settings)

I don't know, from what I saw, I'd rather try to navigate the KISS grammar site over the MEP site any day.

Really?! Wow. I have no problem whatsoever w/ the MEP site. It *could* be content-bias though. I *love* all things mathematical. Not so much with the grammar. *shrug*:tongue_smilie:

Does Kiss Grammar cover usage and mechanics?

KISS grammar has exercises on adding punctuation (and then marking the subject and verb) right from level 1.1. It starts with simple sentences from Bunny Rabbit's Diary, and moves up to adding punctuation to and analyzing paragraphs.

Yeah, I have friends who use adaptive browser technology, and that site gave one of them fits! (she threw a hissy)

I just find it visually overwhelming with too much non-standard colour going on. I've switched to using Opera for it - w/ images OFF and style = high contrast [b/w]. THAT got me through the visual processing problems (visual migraines). :)

Pauline (who just threw up and then tweaked her Opera settings)

You are funny!

Bill