Menu

What time of day do you have your Thanksgiving dinner?

I honestly don't understand why "dinner" is served early. Someone explain it to me. I like to eat at 5pm at the earliest. It's dinner right? I ate lunch at noonish so I don't want to eat a big meal at 3pm. (sorry mini rant there).

Depends on what part of the country you're from. :D

In some places, "dinner" is the meal served at noon. "Supper" is the meal served in the late afternoon/early evening.

Some of us like to eat our Thanksgiving meal earlier in the day so that we can schlep around the house, eat leftover turkey and dressing later in the afternoon, and have more dessert in the evening. :D

I honestly don't understand why "dinner" is served early. Someone explain it to me. I like to eat at 5pm at the earliest. It's dinner right? I ate lunch at noonish so I don't want to eat a big meal at 3pm. (sorry mini rant there).

We eat "dinner" at 1ish, (really lunch)

That way we can hang out all day , play games and eat leftovers for dinner!

We eat around 1pm. 2 if running late and noon if I am really on top of things. We like to go for a long family hike when weather permits (and I mean if there is less than 6in of snow. We have gone in weather as cold as 7degrees ;)) We started that tradition of hiking when we moved to Wy and had no family but our own little 6 person family.

We are used to Thanksgiving at that time from before we moved and I guess it is just how we both are. Both our families were like this. That way we had time for games and just time to enjoy each other instead of eating and running. I guess holidays for us are like Sundays, big meal at noonish. If dh work schedule allowed for it we would love to have our big meal at noon every day- it just does not work out that way.

In some places, "dinner" is the meal served at noon. "Supper" is the meal served in the late afternoon/early evening.

Some of us like to eat our Thanksgiving meal earlier in the day so that we can schlep around the house, eat leftover turkey and dressing later in the afternoon, and have more dessert in the evening. :D

Exactly. We eat at 1pm and then it's on to naps and or game time!

When it's ready. Whenever that is.

:iagree: Us too. It's just the 4 of us every year so the first one up gets started on the the turkey and then we fix everything else based on when it will be done. Generally it's early afternoon but it's no big deal if it's later. I'm thinking about maybe just eating the pies first this year.....:D

Every holiday meal round here is served at noon or shortly thereafter (12-3) because the meal is SO BIG, that you may choose to not eat again, or, on T day, everyone wants sandwiches for dinner.

:iagree: According to my grandmother dinner is the hot meal. It can be served at noon or in the evening. If dinner is at noon, supper is in the evening. If dinner is in the evening, lunch is at noon. We will be serving our Thanksgiving dinner at noon.

Typically when my parents come we've done it at 1 because my mom doesn't like the afternoon meal thing, but this year I told her we are doing it at 2 - that just works much better for me in getting so many dishes ready. To me, it's just the one meal for that day - the kids can have a late breakfast and then hold out for the big meal at 2 and then in the evening everyone can have leftovers or just another serving of dessert.