Menu

A socialization story with a twist

I can't believe it actually happened. Today was my parent/teacher conference for my preschooler. Little background: he is 2E - pg but has some processing issues and social issues. His teachers are amazing. Main teacher taught kindergarten for 30 years. At one point after detailing his social deficiencies, main teacher asked if we would be homeschooling him like we do our other boys. I asked her what she would advise with her expertise (and honestly was waiting to hear her say how we MUST put him in school so he can be socialized and get all the services possible, yada, yada.) She said that ds is outstanding academically but needs work in social skills. She then said.....wait for it......"He won't get social skills training in public kindergarten. I hope you will homeschool him." Yes, you read that correctly. A 30 year public school veteran just told me my son wouldn't get socialized in school!