Menu

Where can one upload...

... a LONG video, about two hours? Somebody told me that when one makes an account on most video sharing services one cannot upload such big files at the beginning. Is there a service which allows it?

And a bonus question - IF there is such a place, can the video be uploaded the way that it can only be accessed via some code or something, i.e. not viewable by everyone who stops by, but only by selected audience? Is there such a thing?

I apologize if the questions are banal and stupid, I am not tech savvy. :o

Thank you in advance.

My ds, the video expert in our house, said youtube has a 15 minute limit on uploads. He is not aware of where you could upload that length of a video.

You could break the video into segments. Youtube can be set as "limited" which would allow only those with the link to view the video.

Ester Maria,

I passed along your question to my husband who sometimes needs to record 90 minute classes for absent students. Here is what he said --

"Yes, you can do this easily with Dropbox (http://www.dropbox.com). If you sign up for the free service, you get 2 GB of storage. This should be adequate for a 2 hour video. I have routinely uploaded two versions of a class (each class is 90 minutes long), and there is space for perhaps one more pair of one hour classes. Of course, the size of the file depends a lot upon how it was recorded, formatting, etc. You can figure it out by looking at the file size and seeing if it is more than 2 GB. If it is, then you'll have to buy the premium service. I just bought the 50 GB service, and that is $99 per year.

As for links, if you put the video in the "Public" folder in your dropbox, then it is accessible by anyone that has the link to the video. The Dropbox software that you install on your computer provides the link. The video is not viewable by just anyone; you can only access it via the coded link. In some cases, the viewer can download the video. Otherwise, it's like YouTube - you just stream it."

Regards,

Kareni