Menu

How much should ds charge neighbor for daily puppy care?

Would love some input on this! My neighbor just called to see if ds12 would like to come over each day for about 15 minutes to let the new puppy out to play and potty. She said to talk to him about how much she ought to pay him. I'm not really sure. I guess the first thought that comes to mind is $10/week? About $2 per visit?

ETA: Just realized he is gone all day Wednesday, so I'd do it for him that day and wouldn't expect them to pay me (I love doggies anyway!). So I guess a better question is how much per day, and how much per week if it is 4 times per week? And figuring in they are kind of getting a freebie from me. I guess I still think $10/week, but is $2.50/visit too much?

Thoughts? Experience?

Thanks!

Edited by HeidiKC

My neighbor paid my girls $5/day to walk her puppy for 30 min. I thought that was too much but she insisted and said a hired service would cost $10/day. We are in a pricey area. $10/week sounds affordable to me. :)

Yeah, I was thinking about it compared to a hired service, too. And I'm pretty sure that is at LEAST $10/day if not more. But I don't want to overcharge my neighbor friend, either!

Thanks for your input.

My neighbor paid my girls $5/day to walk her puppy for 30 min. I thought that was too much but she insisted and said a hired service would cost $10/day. We are in a pricey area. $10/week sounds affordable to me. :)

My boys are paid $5 a day to walk the neighbors dog. I think that any less would be to little. It usually takes them about 20-30 minutes. I don't think that 15 minutes is enough time for most puppies.

My boys are paid $5 a day to walk the neighbors dog. I think that any less would be to little. It usually takes them about 20-30 minutes. I don't think that 15 minutes is enough time for most puppies.

The neighbor is just asking him to let the puppy out in the yard to potty and play with him for a few minutes rather than a walk. I agree that it would be nicer for the puppy to have more time, but the neighbor is just asking for 15 minutes. It might end up being longer than that (puppy = break from schoolwork!), but that's ok since that's my son's call.

Do your boys walk the dog every day?

I would say anywhere between $1 and $2 is reasonable per visit.

Me too. I just paid a friend (age 14) to let my dog out twice a day with short walk up the street ...I paid him 20 for 3 days. If he lived next door I would have paid less. I think $10 a week is pretty good for your neighbors and your ds.

Is it an ongoing thing? If so, I'd be inclined to think about $1/visit, so $5 a week. I'm thinking of what I'd be comfortable with my boys charging our neighbors that we're friendly with. I'd view it as an opportunity for my boys to be neighborly and earn a bit of extra money.

Is it an ongoing thing? If so, I'd be inclined to think about $1/visit, so $5 a week. I'm thinking of what I'd be comfortable with my boys charging our neighbors that we're friendly with. I'd view it as an opportunity for my boys to be neighborly and earn a bit of extra money.

Good point. Yes, I would assume at least through the end of the school year. Not sure about next year, but would be nice for him. And of course they'd be more inclined to have him back if the price was right! I definitely don't want them to think he's over-charging.

My son did this for three years for a neighbor. Just twice a week though, since she only worked a full day on those two days. She paid him $5/day even though it was only for 15 minutes. Why so much? Because he was making a commitment to her, and she knew he would be there. She also knew she'd pay twice that to a business who comes out.

My girls are paid $4/day to take care of a neighbor's dogs at lunchtime each day. They are typically over there for 20-30 minutes. Sometimes one goes, sometimes both go. My 16yo can't go on Tuesdays or Thursdays, but my 13yo generally misses one of the other days. When they go over on the weekend, my 16yo usually goes alone.

They've been taking care of her dogs for 2 years now.

ETA:

I should clarify that it's $4 total, not $4 each.

Sometimes they walk the dogs, but usually they just take them in the backyard and play with them and make sure they all use the bathroom. The male dogs wear diapers in the house, so they take off the diapers when they get there and put them on again before they leave.

Edited by AngieW in Texas

Would love some input on this! My neighbor just called to see if ds12 would like to come over each day for about 15 minutes to let the new puppy out to play and potty. She said to talk to him about how much she ought to pay him. I'm not really sure. I guess the first thought that comes to mind is $10/week? About $2 per visit?

ETA: Just realized he is gone all day Wednesday, so I'd do it for him that day and wouldn't expect them to pay me (I love doggies anyway!). So I guess a better question is how much per day, and how much per week if it is 4 times per week? And figuring in they are kind of getting a freebie from me. I guess I still think $10/week, but is $2.50/visit too much?

Thoughts? Experience?

Thanks!

$10 sounds reasonable to me. Also, if your ds can't do it on Wed. and needs you to fill in *he* should pay *you*. Not that you need the 2 bucks. It's just the principle. My boys have paper routes and if someone else needs to fill in, usually a little sister, (which means I'm along for the walk) they have to pay up. Since you're mom and don't need the 2 bucks you could put it in a tip jar and when it gets to a certain amount treat the family to a movie or ice cream with it. Just my .02

ETA: Speaking of paper routes, my ds bags and delivers 110 papers once a week. It takes about 20 min. to bag and an hour to deliver. He makes $6 per week. So $10 for 75min. of puppy sitting sounds just right. I think you would expect to make a little more because of the daily commitment as a pp mentioned.

Edited by silliness7

The going rate around here is $20 per visit from an adult. They spend about 1 hour with the dog for that amount, but they don't charge less if you only want them there for a short time.

Your ds might only be over there for 15-20 minutes, but he also needs to be compensated for his daily availability. That's a big responsibility. I wouldn't charge less than $5 per visit. Undervaluing his service is a disincentive to work.

My dd has her own pet sitting/dog walking business. She would charge $5/visit, even if it's ongoing. Around here adult dog walkers get $20/30 minute walk.

Be careful about undervaluing the service. The neighbor will take advantage of this. There may be things she adds on over time that your ds can do "since he's already there". Before you know it he's doing a lot of stuff and not getting paid much and it becomes awkward to ask for increased compensation when you figure out your being taken advantage of.

Compensation should be related to the importance of the job, experience and demonstrated responsibility. You ds should not be compensated less because he lives next door--this is more of a convenience to the neighbor. Living next door means she knows ds and can trust his with her housekeys. If she has to find someone else she doesn't get those advantages your ds provides.

My dd has her own pet sitting/dog walking business. She would charge $5/visit, even if it's ongoing. Around here adult dog walkers get $20/30 minute walk.

Be careful about undervaluing the service. The neighbor will take advantage of this. There may be things she adds on over time that your ds can do "since he's already there". Before you know it he's doing a lot of stuff and not getting paid much and it becomes awkward to ask for increased compensation when you figure out your being taken advantage of.

Compensation should be related to the importance of the job, experience and demonstrated responsibility. You ds should not be compensated less because he lives next door--this is more of a convenience to the neighbor. Living next door means she knows ds and can trust his with her housekeys. If she has to find someone else she doesn't get those advantages your ds provides.

I agree with this so much. yes this happened to my son. The lady ended up asking him to take out her trash cans and back up too. But he is down to one dog now too, he loves the dogs, AND she gives him pretty good bounuses at times too.

We have also helped out with some other things.

The yuckiest one was when her ceiling had leaked due to heavy rains and water was pouring in eeek.

What a wonderful opportunity!

For comparison. . .

We pay an adult, professional pet sitter $12 a day. But she drives over, probably stays 45 minutes, does the yucky work (cat litter box, etc.), and is the responsible adult.

We pay a child whose family keeps the dog in her home 24/7 $5 a day. Of course the dog spends most of that day asleep; but there is some work involved.

If I were a working person and had a new puppy; I would be thrilled to pay a neighbor $2 to come visit, play, take him out to pee, etc.

Thank you all so much for all your input! (Although I'm up for hearing more!). Wow - the opinions seem to be all over the place from $1/visit to $5/visit! We'll have to think on this. It's kind of tricky, since most dog walkers (businesses) do charge much more, but they're also there much longer than ds will be.

The neighbor did say that the one thing holding them back from getting a puppy is the problem of what to do during the day...and that's when she thought of my son. They could certainly afford a professional service, but I does seem CRAZY to pay that kind of money every day to let a dog out to pee (when I worked full-time our dogs were fine in the house all day long alone, so the problem is hard for me to relate to!). So I know that my ds being available is a huge bonus for them and will allow them to have a puppy and/or save them a ton of money.

I don't want to have them think at all that we're overcharging - I am friends with the mom, and our boys are the same age and fairly friendly. We shared a nanny when the boys were babies and I think that she is more than fair and would never try to take advantage of my ds, or add on extra jobs without offering more money (because when we expected more of the nanny, we both thought we should offer more money, and she was fair in general with payment, etc.).

I'll have to think on this a bit this week. Some of you are making me start to think that maybe $2.50-$3 would be more fair. I guess I think of what knid of an hourly rate would be fair for a 12yo boy as far as any kind of job. $5-7 seems about right to me. So then maybe $2-3 for the 15+ minute job. More than 25% of an hourly rate, if that makes sense.

UGH! I wish she'd just suggest a rate herself! I'm sure she'd probably be fairly generous, but it was nice of her to say I should talk to ds and see what he thinks he'd like to be paid!

Thanks again for the help!

:iagree:

It's always better to get the other side to offer a figure first.

Don't forget the option of asking her, "What pay do you think would be fair?"

If she says, "$1/day", you can say, "Gosh, let me think on that. I was thinking more like $2 or $3 . . ."

If she says anything in your range (say $3-$5) you can say, "Sounds great!"

(Obviously, this is not my hard-nose negotiating strategy I'd use with a stranger for a one time day. This is my gentle win-win strategy, lol)

Well, for feeding, watering and litter-box cleaning for my cats when we're on vacation, I usually pay $10 per day. We use the disposable litter boxes when we vacation, so "cleaning" consists of throwing away the old one and replacing it daily with a new one. I say $5 per day for the puppy sounds fair.

It's always better to get the other side to offer a figure first.

Don't forget the option of asking her, "What pay do you think would be fair?"

If she says, "$1/day", you can say, "Gosh, let me think on that. I was thinking more like $2 or $3 . . ."

If she says anything in your range (say $3-$5) you can say, "Sounds great!"

(Obviously, this is not my hard-nose negotiating strategy I'd use with a stranger for a one time day. This is my gentle win-win strategy, lol)

Yes, but I want my son to be the one who discusses it with her (I know she won't take advantage of him, either). His job, his responsibility, etc. I think he'll feel more ownership of it. But he's rather timid/shy, and I can't see him negotiating at all! I think (maybe I'm wrong?) that it shows good business sense if he approaches her with a suggestion - and this is also what she has asked for.

These are short term rates that we have paid.

I pay $5 a day to a 13 yo to come by 1x each day to give my cat his pill and play with him.

The 7 yo next door took my dog out 3-5x a day and I paid him $5 each day we were gone.

Another 13yo keeps our dog at her house during long trips and only charges $5 a day.

I think it's relative to what they are doing, how often/ long, and their age.

Maybe he could get a 'raise' next year?

It is a great job for them to have, I have joked that I want that job when he is off to college. He makes $100 a month and she does bonuses- and somedays he has to go more so she gives him more for that, and usually a very nice Christmas bonus.

Very unusal for a young teen to have steady income.

Hi

$2.50 a visit is not too much in my opinion.

$10 a week is not too much either.

What if the puppy doesn't do his business in 15 minutes though?

Who's responsible if the puppy goes back in the house and messes?

My dogs go out and have to stay outside until they have done their

business. Otherwise they have to stay outside, no matter how cold it

is!

So...does your child have to stay around until the puppy goes?

Or is 15 minutes good because of what the neighbor wanted?

In any case $2.50 a visit is fine. My crazy dogsitter was charging

$18 per 30 minute visit and she wasn't walking anyone.

What if the puppy doesn't do his business in 15 minutes though?

Who's responsible if the puppy goes back in the house and messes?

My dogs go out and have to stay outside until they have done their

business. Otherwise they have to stay outside, no matter how cold it

is!

So...does your child have to stay around until the puppy goes?

Or is 15 minutes good because of what the neighbor wanted?

Very good point! Yes, she will want the dog to potty for sure!