Menu

Did your older child try to raise your younger child?

I just posted on the 'new bed' post below. http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=325407

My oldest dd was determined to raise the new baby. :lol:

She told me when to feed her, how to dress her, etc. It took forever for dd2 to learn to walk or talk because dd1 would just get her what she wanted and would 'translate' for her. Alex wants this... Alex doesn't like that.

When dd2 was in her terrible twos big sis would cover for her and would cry when I tried any form of discipline. If I put dd2 in time out, dd1 (then age 5) would show up with snacks and toys and keep her company. :glare:

DD2 did not learn to read until 2nd grade when I told dd1 to stop 'helping' her.

Even as a teen ... dd1 looks out for dd2. They get along great.

Dd2 turned 18 today. DD1 has been asking for her to come visit in Rome, so they will spend 2 week at Christmas touring Europe. Every time I express concern that she might be a little young to run around Rome, Paris, Barcelona, and London. They both give me looks and say 'but dd1 will be there?' like that decides that. :lol:

Oh, that is so lovely, and quite, quite special.

Mine are all boys, so a bit less 'maternal', shall we say. They do look out for each other, and will cover for each other if they see I'm about to go ballistic about anything, but no, they don't take quite the same kind of responsibility for each other as you describe.

Every time you post I love seeing your photo of your DDs, they're beautiful and I'm sure you're a very proud mama.

Uh, yeah. My older "mr. bossy pants" does this often. He feels that he should be in charge, being the oldest, its his job. When they were younger the older one always took great care that his brother could keep up on the playground, in the store, and always while getting into something they shouldn't. And the constant correcting...I hope I don't sound like that!!

On the other hand, the older one is his little brother's protection detail. I feel sorry for anyone who tries to be unkind to little brother because big brother will be all over that immediately.;)

Yes. My kids are 19, 11, and 4. The oldest is the parent of everybody and the 11 year old is the parent of the 4 year old. You can imagine how confusing that gets when we're each telling the 4 year old something different. We have had to enforce an "If the ACTUAL parents are home, we are in charge and will handle any discipline. Thank you." policy!

Yes. My kids are 19, 11, and 4. The oldest is the parent of everybody and the 11 year old is the parent of the 4 year old. You can imagine how confusing that gets when we're each telling the 4 year old something different. We have had to enforce an "If the ACTUAL parents are home, we are in charge and will handle any discipline. Thank you." policy!

This is how it works in my house too. Mine are 16, 10 and 4. I often have to remind one or both of the boys that I am the mommy and in charge. My 4 yr. old is a girl, so she's beginning to boss everyone around. :tongue_smilie:

Denise

My issue is with my sometimes-know-it-all-16yod.:glare: She will try to tell me how to parent my autistic son. I don't mind input or suggestions but she has a knack for spouting off when it is not helpful. I have to keep reminding her that her day will come . . . someday in the not to distant future she will be his legal guardian!:D

What a special relationship they have! So sweet, thanks for sharing. It truly warmed my heart!

ETA: My almost 11 year old ds (my oldest dc) tries to be the parent. I don't mind helpful, but he starts meddleing and it gets annoying. I have to tell him, "I AM the parent, N0T you. You need to let ME handle this".

Edited by mama2cntrykids