Menu

Is there something like Analytical Grammar but for spelling?

5LittleMonkeys

This would be for a 6th grade student. I've used Megawords, Spelling Power, Spelling Workout, our own lists based on her misspelled words, and am currently using Sequential Spelling. Nothing sticks, and quiet honestly, I'm tired of spending so much money and time on this. This dc has much bigger issues to devote her time and attention to imo.

My last ditch effort will be finding a one or two year intensive program to work on during middle school and then (whether it sticks or not) be done with spelling. If it doesn't work she will just have to forever carry a dictionary around with her or use the dreaded spell check. (There are worse things in life to be dependent on.)

So, any suggestions?

Check out Apples & Pears. It is a completely different approach and there is a placement test. It teaches a via a constant review of morphemes. Go to the special needs board and see how other people like the program. Most people who's dc don't do well with traditional programs do well with A&P.

I'm loving the program and wished that it had been available when my 17yo was young.:tongue_smilie:

Apples and Pears, Spelling Through Morphographs and Spelling Mastery

These all look great and think I might consider AaP or SM for my 3rd grader, but I was hoping for something more along the lines of a single volume book for me to use to teach dd11. I suppose if she placed partway through the AaP we could complete the remaining books in about 2 years. Would that be a possibility?